July 2014 Moms
Options

Pumping?

Ok so u searched and couldn't find anything on this so if it's out there I apologize in advance...

How soon will you all start pumping? I took a BF class and they said to wait 4 weeks but other thing I'm reading say start right away and freeze your supply...

For those of you that have done this ...what works best for your supply to come in and for lil one

Also when did you find time to pump (between feedings?)

Re: Pumping?

• Options
    It depends on why your pumping, last time my LC had me pumping in the hospital (DD was a bit overzealous the first time or two she nursed and by the second night there was a lot of blood). So I was pumping to feed DD and try and heal up a bit.

Once I got home I pumped during her longest morning nap and before I went to bed. My LC suggested waiting at least 1 hour after feeding to pump and I tried to time it so I had an hour after pumping before DD needed to nurse again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS did great latching but I never produced enough milk for him. In the hospital he was hooked to IV's to regulate his bold sugars, I don't want this happening with LO so I will start pumping immediately and supplement so that he does not go thru what DS did. Within the first 3 days of being a mom, I felt like a huge failure. My MWs are good with my game plan.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DS1 I began pumping several weeks after birth. He began only nursing from only one breast at each feeding so I would just pump the other as soon as he was done nursing. I would pump on average 5-8 oz Depending on what time of day it was. Before I knew it I had a few months supply built up and that was most helpful for my return to work part time after 12 weeks PP.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I started (out of pure excitement) with one session a day on Day 5 or Day 6. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    2lacyblue said:
    I am planning to return to work 8weeks PP. I asked the nurse in my BF class what she advised to prepare. She said start one pumping at 2 weeks 1 hour after the morning feed and also introduce one bottle per day at that time. I am going to a La Leche League meeting this week to seek out more info, support, and local resources to help me with this. The nearest lactation consultant through my insurance is one hour away X(
    Many LCs will travel to you and in my area a few of the boutique stores have LCs who come in (for free) o a spacific day of the week. You can also get most of the information you need by talking to one over the phone or via webcam if you can't meet in person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had an under supply problem with DS, so I pumped from about day three to try to correct it. I had to pump immediately after he was done eating...it was so difficult, b/c i was so tired. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen this time!

• Options
    I used it early on, I think at first to build my supply. I thought DH might take over a feeding (nope!). Then it was definitely so relieve me at least once a day from BFing because it was really hard/painful at first. The pump didn't hurt as bad.  DS had issues with BFing and reflux/allergies.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    I pumped yesterday (day 3) for about 5 minutes per side just to relieve some pressure. I ended up with 3.5oz and my boobs were still so full they hurt. No wonder I was uncomfortable, DS is only eating one side at a time most times and I doubt he's eating that much. I really don't like this part where I wait for my supply to regulate.

Anyways, I didn't save it, didn't seem worth it. I might start pumping to freeze it in the next couple of weeks, but we won't introduce bottles until 4-6 weeks, and then only once every few days. I didn't have a huge problem pumpimg at work last time so I'm not too worried about it this time.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

G was born 3 weeks early and had low sugars, and the doctor said she may have trouble latching (he was right), so I have been pumping since day 4, the first day I could get my pump.  I pump about every 3 hours.  My plan was to EBF, and pump starting around week 4-6 so I could start her on bottles before going back to work, but of course nothing goes as planned. ;)

This. Exactly this less the low blood sugar part. I had to supplement by day 4 and started pumping that day out of sheer guilt and determination. I'm 8dPP and only today am I starting to feel "full".
  • Options
    BP607BP607 member
    I started pumping with DS from day 2 he had to go into the NICU for some breathing issues and wasn't allowed to BF until we got those under control.  I pumped around the clock every 3 hours on the dot as PP stated and after a few months was able to adjust my schedule.  I EP for 11 months.

I'm hoping I can pump and switch back and forth between breast and bottle with this LO and get some proper latching techniques down. 
  • Options
    I'm going to try and start within 2 weeks or so. Last time my supply dwindled away and it was frustrating trying to keep up.

I got a bad cold during BF'ing and the dropped it. Then I got pregnant while nursing and that really made it go away. I'm going to pump and stash as much as I can. Not go crazy with it if course but, I'm going to prepare as much as possible. GL OP!

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    I've been working closely with a lactation consultant at the hospital, so I'm on a pretty different schedule. I have short nipples (yay) so Anna has issues feeding, and I have to use a nipple shield. Unfortunately, until a time when Anna can latch onto boob and not sheild, I run the risk of decreasing milk supply, so she wants me pumping and freezing 2-3 times daily.

And I'm not sure how.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So how did you all store the milk? We bought the medela storage bottles...did you keep adding to each storage bottle and freeze them?
  • Options
    jennp1979 said:
    So how did you all store the milk? We bought the medela storage bottles...did you keep adding to each storage bottle and freeze them?
    I got this boobfeeding kit thingamajig. https://www.kiinde.com/starter_kit_product.php

We aren't opening it until we know BFing works for us.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited June 2014
    I started pumping after 6 weeks with ds. This time, @36weeks, dd is considered pre term and intake is very important. My milk wasn't in yet, plus her ability to suck wasn't as strong, so I've had to pump right after birth, to get things going. We supplement with a bottle of formula also. I haven't made enough to store, but use medala bottles with storage tops and have a bunch of freezer bags I hope to use in the future.
  • Options
    jennp1979 said:

I used the Lanisoh bags too. I put about 4-5 ounces in each one. It's best to put them to a flat freeze, it give you way more room in your freezer and it a lot faster to defrost. You can also store in your fridge for 5-7 days. Make sure you check out kellymom.com. There's lots and lots of helpful tips there.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Bringing this thread back to life hopefully...

How long is an average pumping session? I've been going approx 10-15 mins because I don't see a whole lot of output after about 5-6 mins. I read something yesterday that said you should continue pumping 10 mins after the last drop has fallen. Thoughts?
  • Options
    G was born 3 weeks early and had low sugars, and the doctor said she may have trouble latching (he was right), so I have been pumping since day 4, the first day I could get my pump.  I pump about every 3 hours.  My plan was to EBF, and pump starting around week 4-6 so I could start her on bottles before going back to work, but of course nothing goes as planned. ;)

This is exactly our story as well. I've been pumping since day one.
  • Options
    For my DD I pumped starting around week 2. I took a few sessions a day and pumped after feelings. I went back to work at 6 weeks pp and had plenty in the freezer. I ended up having enough BM to feed her bottles until 15 months while at daycare and stopped pumping at 12 months. This time I will try to go until 4 weeks pp before I pump just because it will be harder having DD plus I am staying home 12 weeks this time.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options

ichamommy said:
    Bringing this thread back to life hopefully... How long is an average pumping session? I've been going approx 10-15 mins because I don't see a whole lot of output after about 5-6 mins. I read something yesterday that said you should continue pumping 10 mins after the last drop has fallen. Thoughts?
    With DS1, I was told to pump for at least 20 minutes to try to help increase my supply. If your milk seems to stop after a few minutes, I recently read on another board that you can stop pumping, readjust the flanges, and start again to stimulate another let-down. The BF board might be able to help more with this.

• Options
    I started pumping when I got home just for 3-5 minutes to relieve engorgement before feeding. I kept it and froze it. At four weeks I started doing a pumping session most days am hour after her morning feed to build up a freezer stash. I loved the freedom of a freezer stash-it made it easy to have a babysitter/family watch her without stressing.
  • Options
    I didn't read all the other replies, but:
    With DS I started pumping as soon as I came home from the hospital. I had to return to work after 2 weeks and therefore if I wanted him to have exclusively BM that's what I had to do. I had no issues.
    With DD I started pumping when she was about a week home, as I returned to my very PT job when she was 2 weeks old and then went to work FT when she was 7 weeks old. Again, I had no issues.
    I think everyone is different though, and you'll have to figure out what's best for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"