July 2013 Moms

UPDATED: Public property etiquette, or lack thereof?

MyrrhajMyrrhaj member
edited June 2014 in July 2013 Moms
(This is a scenario that I ran into today. I'm curious to see if I was in the wrong- so I'm going to try to narrate as neutrally as possible and reveal what role I played after your answers.)

Let's say that Person A found the perfect picnic table, in a shady spot under some trees at the local park. Person A sets down some of their stuff on the table to claim it, and walks away to a different part of the park. A is gone for about an hour, and when A returns, A finds that their stuff has been moved to the next picnic table over (that's not so shady), and a group of people (Group B) are sitting at the picnic table that A had thought had claimed as theirs. Person A confronts Group B about the situation. Group B won't move. Who is in the wrong?
 photo 4e45a05e-3ae9-47cc-8426-add6bb675340_zps983d487a.jpg
            photo d2dcf996-bfd5-4c24-9964-9fec17650083_zpsa207334b.png               

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Public property etiquette, or lack thereof? 151 votes

Group B. Everyone knows that it's an unspoken rule that when someone's things are on a piece of property, public or no- that it's been claimed. You don't just move other people's stuff without asking.
51% 78 votes
Person A. You cannot claim public property.
38% 58 votes
SS
9% 15 votes

Re: UPDATED: Public property etiquette, or lack thereof?

• At the beach people walk off, I'm not seeing it any different.
  • Unless of course you were the other option, I'd pick you! Ha
  • Loading the player...
  • For those who are curious- I'll reveal my role in the situation at 50 votes, or when I wake up tomorrow morning. Whichever comes first. ;)

• An hour is a bit long.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Annnd... We're at 40 votes and my phone's battery is dying. Bonne nuit!

• I wouldn't move someone's stuff ever.
  • I would never move someone's stuff, but I think an hour is too long if you're not using the space at all....different if you come and go ....

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Myrrhaj said:

Annnd... We're at 40 votes and my phone's battery is dying. Bonne nuit!

Cruel, cruel @Myrrhaj‌. Leaving us with a cliffhanger. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• valstulasvalstulas member
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm. I think both parties did the wrong thing in this scenario. Leaving your stuff on a table to claim it for an hour is too long, but moving someone else's things is not cool.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• flkongflkong member
    Myrrhaj said:
    Annnd... We're at 40 votes and my phone's battery is dying. Bonne nuit!

Let me guess.....you're person A?? I agree with the others, both parties could've done things differently. A shouldn't claim a table and leave for an hour and B shouldn't touch someone else's property. [-X

• livvyx said:

An HOUR? Hell no. You can't do that. I might as well put my stuff on that picnic table and leave it forever just in case I want to use it at some point if that's the rule. 

ETA: I have always lived in cities and we're less friendly but still
    [-X
    Yeah, in a city at least, where there are more people than tables, I think you need to have someone physically there to hold your spot. I mean, if you have to run to the bathroom, sure, but an hour? Nope.
  • @Myrrhaj‌ I would never ban you!!! :x

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yeah. Hoodie and book was alone.

• Picnic tables were cemented into the ground, but good thinking!

• LauraC122 said:

Before I read the whole thread and your explanation I was thinking an hour is way too long to just leave your things and I think it would also matter what types of things were there. For instance... If someone had out out coolers, chairs, party stuff, I would consider it a well-saved spot. A hoodie and a book? Who knows if that was just forgotten there? If after an hour, those things were not claimed, I'd move them too. Especially for an elderly woman to sit in the shade.

If I were hoodie/book and sitting at "my" claimed table all by my lonesome, I'd feel like a total schmuck for not offering you the table when I saw said elderly woman sitting in the sun.

I don't really agree with claiming public property as mine without someone being with my things or me being in direct eye sight of it (like at a beach), but can understand setting up a large party and needing to be back and forth from a car or bathroom.

Hoodie/Book is a douche.

All of this!
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Group B is not wrong, but its not a very classy act.

Now to see who you were!
  • Ah. The details change my answer ;)

I also think approaching someone's birthday gathering to whine about having had their sweater and book moved to another table, is unclassy. People act so entitled sometimes!
  • I voted a but the details change my mind.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @myrrhaj team you
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • I voted B then scrolled to read the story. An hour is way too long regardless of what you parked on the picnic table. If someone left a carload of stuff I would still consider moving it if I didn't see anyone around for a whole hour. 

If it was me I may have pleaded ignorance about their stuff being moved. "I'm not sure who moved it, this table was open when we arrived". For all they know some other family may have had a picnic at that table in the long ass time frame they left their stuff alone. ;) Of course they may have been across the park watching their table, so they could have called "liar". 

Meh, you had a good party and their book caught some rays. Don't feel bad about it. I just hope they didn't make a huge scene in front of your LO or do anything douchey. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"