March 2014 Moms
Options

Babywearing in the heat

I really want to continue to baby wear but I'm finding the moby style wrap I currently use is far too hot. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that might work better? I would like to stick with a soft (wrap style) carrier if possible until I buy a structured carrier in the fall when LO is 5-6 months old. What are you using this summer to baby wear? Apologies if this has been asked already - I did a search and didn't see anything.

Re: Babywearing in the heat

• Options
    Im learning the maya wrap. It's not as warm as the moby because there's not so much fabric wrapped around us . When I use the moby if it's too warm we wear very light clothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was just looking into this yesterday. I talked to a baby wearing instructor and she recommended a woven wrap and sent me this link:

https://whereintheworldiserin.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/the-weird-and-wonderful-world-of-woven-wraps/
  • Options
    I bought a "bity bean" carrier after seeing it demo'ed at a baby expo and just started using it. It's awesome - made of mesh, very light and very comfortable. I'm in boston but I think it's available in other areas now too.
    DD born 1/16/11
    #2 It's a Boy! EDD 3/23/14
  • Options
    I have a Moby, a Maya ring sling, and a Mei Tei. Here are my thoughts:

The Moby is too bulky and hot and cumbersome for me to use except MAYBE in winter here.

The Maya ring sling works really well in our 90-degree+ weather. It's still warm, but what isn't? I like that the fabric is breathable and it's only in one layer over LO. Much better. Plus, this is LO's favorite babywearing option. It's super easy to put on once you've done it a few times. I have no problem getting her into it with one hand in the backseat of the car.

The Mei Tei is really good, and it's also easy to put on once you get the hang of it. Everything is really secure as long as you tie it snug enough. But LO won't put up with it for more than a couple of minutes. She's just not thrilled about it-- I don't know if maybe it'll be better when she's bigger and can see over the top easier. It's also not as breathable as the Maya fabric, so it's warmer in the heat even though there's no fabric between us.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Maya of those three options.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Options
    I also have the baby k'tan breeze. James runs like a furnace so its PERFECT for hot weather. The mesh is like basketball jersey mesh. So it's perfect for breeze and wicking. I got the white since black obviously absorbs heat.

I recommend it X1000

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Options
    I found everything to be too hot so I made my own with one of Mia's muslin blankets. She loves it. I don't keep her in too long and I always change up her position and keep an eye on circulation (make sure toes don't turn purple!).
  • Options
    There are some mesh moby style ones on etsy too!! I love the moby, but yes, it does get hot. I've heard some women just wear a bathing suit top instead of a shirt.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/74497990/xl-beachfront-baby-wrap-baby-carrier
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ntdanentdane member
    I wore Keira for several hours at the zoo yesterday using a Maya ring sling. The temps were in the upper 80's and she was very comfortable. I love the ring sling because the material is really breathable and it is so easy to use once you get the hang of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    memo9memo9 member
    I would recommend a linen ring sling!  I live in Florida and it's one of our go-to carriers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've not had any problems with my cotton/bamboo woven, though this IS Vermont!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The bottom of the outermost layer isn't tucked under the baby's bottom, and the baby's knees should be higher than his/her bottom, with the fabric pulled into the space behind the knees. I looked through the other listings and photos, and it isn't because the baby is arching, almost all of them are worn incorrectly.

I thought he/she looked a little low. I think it would still be a little cooler than other materials though.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! The K'tan breeze sounds like an awesome option, I think I will look into that. The closest store that sells them is a 3 hour drive away in the next province, so I'll have to order online and hope for the best.
  • Options

I ordered online. I weigh 130 lbs and got an xs. I hope that helps you choose your size.

size is based off shirt dress size. My breast milk boobs made me go up a size (between 125-130 right now)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Options
    I have the Mayawrap and have a similar problem. @LakeCountryGal‌ 's suggestion for a cooling towel is the second time I've heard that. Does it have to be wet to work?

I'm also wondering- does a cooling towel need to be exposed to air to work? (So it can dry?) or does it actually work if you put it between you and LO?
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had to switch from my Moby to the Ergo, just too hot for everyone involved!  I wish I had thought about a mesh or otherwise cooler carrier option when purchasing, but I can't buy a 3rd carrier at this point.  I love my Moby, but only from about October - May in New Mexico.  I have even gone topless around the house with LO in the Moby (attractively squishing a boob out the side now and again) but even that left us both quite sweaty.  I can't imagine being in a humid heat!
  • Options
    I am so sorry @stufie I've been MIA. Have you looked at a Gauze wrap? Those are great and you can do back carries with them and they are very airy. You can find some on etsy and Bali Baby Breeze are good option for hot weather. I like my 100% cotton woven wraps that have a more airier weave such as a Storchenwiege Leo, Diamond weave Girasol, Indios or Pfau from Didymos. 
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"