January 2015 Moms
Options

(PW alert) Air travel with a toddler

letsgoxletsgox member
edited June 2014 in January 2015 Moms
I know we have quite a few STM+ on here so I figured I'd ask for your experiences traveling with a toddler in tow.

It's only a 2 hr flighty from here to Florida, but two hours can feel like an eternity if there is a cranky baby on board! Anyone have tips on keeping my kid occupied without being obnoxious?

ETA: DD is 1.5

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

Re: (PW alert) Air travel with a toddler

• Options
    mmookimmooki member
    Ugh I am traveling to Jamaica next week (4hours!). I'm a bit worried. But I'm going to pack snacks and activities for her to do, plus maybe put frozen or something else on our iPad.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    are you holding her on your lap?  that will make it more challenging, although with the price of airfare these days, it's heartbreaking to buy a ticket when you don't have to (and i gather from your siggy that DD isn't 2 yet, so you don't).  with DS, we flew with him when he was probably 21m and we kept a couple books and a few quiet toys for him to look at, plus lots of snacks.  our flight was 3hrs from minneapolis to newark, NJ, and the last half hour or so, DS had just had it and wanted OUT, so we did our best and were apologetic to the passengers nearest us.  for the most part they were pretty gracious about it, saying that he'd actually be remarkably well-behaved for most of the flight.

good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    2 hours won't be bad! Pack a selection of non-messy snacks. (Cherrios, raisons, etc.) Some books. Something to suck on for take off and landing to prevent the pressure from bothering her ears. You might get lucky and she will sleep through it. 
  • Options
    LanatirLanatir member
    edited June 2014
    DD is about 9 months older than your child, according to your siggy.  We flew with her last beginning of April.

We were going to need a rental car, so we brought her car seat and used it on the plane.  We have a Britax and we paid a crazy amount for the over priced luggage cart (aka the car seat wheely thing for airports) and it worked GREAT to take the seat through the airport with.  Some of the time we could strap her in her seat and pull her, then, while moving between gates or the parking lot and the terminal.  Plus, then I didn't have to worry about the conditions of the rental seat, and with having DD sit in it on the plane, she got the window seat (we flew Southwest most recently, I don't know if car seats HAVE to be in the window seat for all airlines), and I think the height of the car seat helped her to see out the window.  It kept her fairly occupied.  We flew Richmond, VA, to Orlando, to San Antonio and coming back it was San Antonio, Atlanta, to Richmond.

The Britax was a little tall to allow the tray table to fully lay flat, but if you help your LO color, you might be able to do coloring.  Southwest had a packet the flight attendant gave us with a coloring book, one of those pencils with the 4 colored leads in the center, and stick on airplane wings.

Idk what your child is like for food, but DD LOVED getting the mini pretzels and actually ate peanuts (she normally doesn't) when they were in the little plane packets.

If you think your LO will have ear trouble, offer them a sippy to suck on.  It's supposed to help.  Or rub under their ears in a downward motion to the bottom of the jawbone.

ETA-- I'm crazy.  DD has been on 6 different trips already where she's flown with us, but the most recent one was the only one she was old enough to not be a lap child.  10 weeks, 5 months, and now just at 2 years.

Edit again?  hahahaha.  I'm long winded tonight.  Since people are posting flight times, DD was great on our Richmond to San Diego flight at 10 weeks (like 5 hours), the DC to Milwaukee flight at 5 months, the Omaha to DC flight at 5 months (same trip, we drove between WI and NE visiting relatives), and then was great for the one at 2 years that I mentioned destinations for above.  Flight times somewhere around 2-3 hours each.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've done the 2 hour flight from Dallas to Miami. (Not sure if that's what you're doing) but it was really rough for DS.

1. Pack light.
    2. Bring coloring book, activities, and a few toys. I also kept my phone charged and played Team Umi Zoomi when the rest would absolutely not work.
    3. Snacks!

FWIW. I also relied heavily on my baby leash because I was scared of DS squirming away and dashing through the sea of legs as we were unloading or at the luggage carousel. Im also paranoid about creeps snatching him up in those high traffic areas. Not sure how you feel about them, just thought I'd mention it.

Remember it's only 2 hours (it will probably feel like forever) and try to have a sense of humor. People should be understanding, and if they aren't just ignore them.
  • Options
    I'm flying alone tomorrow with my 22 month old tornado lol! I'm bringing the iPad and snacks and a few board books. We have 2 2-hour flights. Oye! And I didn't read all of these but if anyone suggested drugging your kid with benedryl, please, please don't! (Someone dared suggested that to me today!! I was pissed!)
  • Options
    Oh and I think the ergo is great for airports/travel
  • Options
    BookitBoo said:
    I've done the 2 hour flight from Dallas to Miami. (Not sure if that's what you're doing) but it was really rough for DS. 1. Pack light. 2. Bring coloring book, activities, and a few toys. I also kept my phone charged and played Team Umi Zoomi when the rest would absolutely not work. 3. Snacks! FWIW. I also relied heavily on my baby leash because I was scared of DS squirming away and dashing through the sea of legs as we were unloading or at the luggage carousel. Im also paranoid about creeps snatching him up in those high traffic areas. Not sure how you feel about them, just thought I'd mention it. Remember it's only 2 hours (it will probably feel like forever) and try to have a sense of humor. People should be understanding, and if they aren't just ignore them.
    we actually bought our kiddo harness/leash right before we flew for exactly these reasons.
    photo gum-chewers.gif

• Options
    Healthy snacks, a few new books or toys, and a tablet. We've traveled quite a bit with DD and decided early on that it's a lot easier on everyone when we buy her a seat. We use the CARES harness, which is a nice alternative to carrying the car seat through the airport. She's less likely to try to squirm and escape the row if she has her own space. She's still pretty active, though, so I try to help her get it out of her system at the gate so that she'll be able to sit and play quietly during takeoff and until we reach cruising altitude.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    We've traveled several times with DS, and we try to time his naps around it so he's sleeping on the plane if we can, but otherwise, lots of snacks, something to drink during takeoff and landing so his ears would pop, books, small toys, and the iPad if all else fails.
  • Options
    Please buy a seat for your child. They need to have their own plane seat with their car seat on board. It is the safest way to fly. Lap babies can easily become projectiles and get injured or injure other passengers. In bad turbulence you really cannot hold onto your child safely and a baby carrier will also not hold your baby safely. Watch some videos on YouTube to see for yourself. Also, checking your car seat on a plane will give it an unknown history and should not be used again. It could get damaged (sometimes unseen damage) hat would cause it to fail and not protect your child if you were in an accident.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips so far, ladies!

We booked it as a lap child since flying is so expensive. So far, the seat between me and my mom is not booked so I'm hoping we get a by more room. We are checking the car seat at the gate along with the stroller.

I had planned on bringing the iPad, but we only have a few apps from fisher price. Anyone have suggestions? She doesn't "get" games yet. I hadn't thought about headphones so I'll add that.

The flight leaves at 12:30 which is historically her nap time. I'm hoping to bring a pillow plus a light blanket and pray she sleeps.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

• Options
    @Firespirit717 mentioned another thing I forgot.  Yes, we took DD's seat on the plane, too, to keep it from potentially getting damaged without us knowing through fully checking it or gate checking it.

You are within your rights to make the airline relocate you to a seat that can hold your child's car seat for their safety (as well as the safety of others) if the class your tickets are in somehow do not fit your car seat.

I'm sort of anal about car seats...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm I didn't know that @Lanatir‌. We may bring it on the plane then. Did you just front face with the lap belt through the bottom? (Probably a dumb ?)

• Options
    i don't think they're legally required to find a seat that will fit your car seat if you didn't purchase a ticket for your child.
    photo gum-chewers.gif

• Options
    2 hours is nothing! We flew with ds as a lap child a couple days before his second birthday. Things that made it easier, he loves TV so we let him watch, he had snacks and we also brought several new finger puppets and plastic sharks. At one point he started freaking out and I thought it was because he pooped so I ran him to the restroom, turns out he had to go so I was balancing hook over this gross stall and got him back to the seat and realized he held onto that small plastic shark the while time because he wasn't losing his new toy! We Flew from San Diego to Atlanta as a lap child but on the connecting flight he got his own seat, which was much easier, but to us it was worth the savings. We didn't bring a car seat on the trip, and to use one it must be FAA approved. Good luck! I was amazed but I didn't have to walk him up and down the aisles like I thought I might have to.
  • Options
    longcat07 said:

i don't think they're legally required to find a seat that will fit your car seat if you didn't purchase a ticket for your child.

Good point! They probably won't let me bring it on the plane then.

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    For apps, DS likes Talking Tom, Wee Sing and Learn 123, and PBS Kids.
  • Options
    Great tips here - a couple more - don't take a sippy cup that has the seal in it to keep it from spilling. The cabin pressure will cause all of the liquid to explode out if it and that sucks. If all else fails, dd is often entertained by a cup of ice. Lastly, it is only two hours and you'll survive no matter what (dd once screamed the whole 2 he flight from Seattle to sfo. Major bummer, but we made it through).
    bfp 4/8/2010, m/c 4/16/2010
    bfp 7/31/2010, dd born 4/2011
    bfp 2/7/2014, edd 10/19/2014, m/c 2/25/2014
    bfp 5/22/2014, edd 1/27/2015, MMC 6/30/2014, D&C 7/8/2014
  • Options
    Good point! They probably won't let me bring it on the plane then.
    you know though, if the seat is open still, it doesn't hurt to ask before you board.
    photo gum-chewers.gif

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    The flight attendants are usually pretty accommodating about babies because they know everyone on the plane will be happier if the baby is comfortable, happy, and quiet. I would definitely ask about whether you can take the car seat on board if there are open seats.
  • Options
    We go to CA from FL a lot. That can be a loooooong flight with a toddler!

But aside from that one flight we took last year when she was cutting six teeth at once, the biggest obstacle we ever face is DD hates being restrained in any way. Obviously there's nothing we can do about that part, so we try to keep her as distracted from that as much as possible.

DD likes eating fruit snacks during takeoff and landing. They seem to help the best with the pressure change for her. I also bring the iPad with some episodes of her favorite shows and movies. We also have a travel set of those crayons wonder markers that keep her entertained for a while. I'll also get her a new little toy or book specifically for the flight, so the newness of it will keep her entertained for a while too.

Also, if possible, get seats in the very back row. DD loves watching everything the flight attendents working in the back and she tries to talk to everyone walking by to use the bathrooms. Plus, being that close to the bathroom is a major plus with a toddler!

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We haven't done air travel, but we did make a 9.5 hour drive. I sat in the backseat with him, had a variety if snacks to offer him, and had books and toys to rotate.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi. I usually bring a coloring book and washable crayons and pens with me during our trips. Also, i let her use my iphone for some puzzle games. And of course some biscuits/food. Ths may sound corny but we alao sng the little einsteins OST during take off

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    We did a three hour flight at Christmas. Snacks, new books, and games. We got a coloring book that works with a  water marker, so no mess. We also loaded Micky Mouse Clubhouse on the iPad and bought toddler headphones. She also liked the drawing apps. We also walked around the airport with her a lot before boarding to try and wear her out. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Just to add/question: Why would a car seat be safer on an airplane? This is seriously something I've never understood. It's a total pita to haul through the airport, set up, and then your child has to sit in it, limiting their movement. I mean, if the plane crashes, a car seat sure as heck won't make them any safer. I flew with DD a few times. I always held her on my lap. In my experience, the flight attendants will try to switch passengers around so you can have an open seat for your baby if there is a free seat on the plane. One pp suggested not bringing peanuts bc of allergies of other passengers. I don't think it would be of consequence since airlines give peanuts out as a snack. That being said, I never considered how impossible airline travel would be with a peanut allergy. Peanut oil would be EVERYWHERE! That's crappy.
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    mom2casemom2case member
    edited June 2014
    @Hawkward I've never been in very rough turbulence.  I can see how it would be helpful in that instance.  Personally, I'd rather not deal with the huge toddler car seat.  
    imageimage

• Options
    @mom2case‌ some kids do better without the option of getting down, too.

Plus, I don't want to rent a car seat when we are in FL for the week so we are bringing it regardless of where her we use it on the plane or it is stowed below.

• Options
    mom2case said:

@Hawkward I've never been in very rough turbulence.  I can see how it would be helpful in that instance.  Personally, I'd rather not deal with the huge toddler car seat.  

Do you use a car seat in a car? You might never be in a car accident but why risk your child's life? That's why you deal with buying and installing a car seat and potentially moving it between cars on occasion. You are gambling with your child's life by not bringing a car seat on a plane just because you haven't experienced bad turbulence yet. It doesn't mean you never will. Saying you won't use a car seat on a plane because of the hassle is just plain stupid and careless.

• Options
    @firespirit717 Wow.  Do you honestly think comparing car seat usage in a car is comparable to in a plane?  I have NEVER heard of a baby dying in a plane due to turbulence.  I have also flown at least 40 times in my life, probably closer to 60, and have never been in turbulence bad enough to even make me feel like my seatbelt was necessary.  I think you should do some research on plane turbulence before saying not using the car seat on the plane is stupid and careless.  If it was TRULY considered safer, it would be required.  You know, kinda how car seats are required in cars?  I'm not in the mood to get in to it but I'd prefer it if you didn't question my intelligence and concern for my daughter's safety.  

@muskiefan07 My DD is very calm so she sits in her seat just fine.  I think she'd be rather pissy if I tried to confine her to a car seat on a plane.   That being said, she's only flown four times and they were all while she was "free" so we didn't buy a seat for her.

If you travel a lot and need a car seat in your destination, most car rental companies will provide one.  Also, there's a brand at Walmart that is very light.  I'd suggest buying a light one to travel with if you plan to travel by plane a lot.  My friend and I went in on one together because we carpool fairly often. 
    imageimage

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    @mom2case, I didn't see anyone questioning your intelligence, and I think you are taking it a little personally.

I googled "is a car seat safer on a plane," and this is the first thing that came up:

https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

"Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence."
  • Options
    @Maebb This is what was said, specifically. 
    "You are gambling with your child's life by not bringing a car seat on a plane just because you haven't experienced bad turbulence yet. It doesn't mean you never will. Saying you won't use a car seat on a plane because of the hassle is just plain stupid and careless." 

To me, that's specifically saying I'm careless and stupid.  Can't think of another way to take that.  Can you? 
    imageimage

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    @mom2case, to say, "the thing you said is stupid and careless" is different than "you are stupid."

In any case, I provided a link above with info from the FAA, so maybe you can do some research on the topic.
  • Options
    Maebb said:
    @mom2case, I didn't see anyone questioning your intelligence, and I think you are taking it a little personally. I googled "is a car seat safer on a plane," and this is the first thing that came up: https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/ "Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence."
    Yep. My friend works in aviation safety (I think she does safety auditing or something). She absolutely recommends that babies are always in a car seat when flying. 

Saying that you've never experienced turbulence once out of 60 flights isn't really a good rationalization. I've probably driven my car every day since I was 17. That's over 4,000 trips (plus all of the times I wasn't the driver) and I've never been in one accident. Doesn't mean I'm not going to use my seat belt or put my baby in a car seat.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Options
    I am flying home with DS from the UK to DC, which is an 8 hour flight (plus the connecting from Birmingham to Paris first!)  I'm starting to brick it a bit now that everyone said it's such a hassle!  We flew to Greece when he was 7 months old (5 hours) and he was mostly fine.  But now that he'll be 19 months- it might be time to indulge in the tablet I've been secretly wanting, but had no real purpose for....  :P  Those apps sound pretty useful.
  • Options
    @milagros315 You're lucky you've never been in an accident.  I rear-ended someone a month after I got my license and haven't been the cause of an accident since then.  BUT, I've been rear-ended, DH has rear-ended people, and we have near-accidents at least every other month.  I think our car is invisible.  I'm such a defensive driver and have prevented at least 3 accidents by being aware of my surroundings, but people just DO NOT SEE US.  It's weird. 

Thanks @Maebb for providing a link and some info.  This is all new to me and I've literally never seen someone install a car seat on a plane.  As far as car seat safety, I'm pretty anal about it.  I never understood how a car seat would make a difference on a plane but I guess it would.  When DD was tiny, she was in the Ergo on me so I wouldn't have needed to hold her tightly in the case of turbulence. 
    imageimage

• Options
    Hawkward said:

If you're not planning on taking a car seat (UK car seats can't be used in US cars anyway) a CARES harness if a really good investment. It's light and easy to install. The straps were similar enough to car seat that DS didn't expect to be able to get up a lot. 
    Thanks for the suggestion- I'll have to google the CARES harness because I like the idea of strapping him down, both for safety and to discourage thoughts of freedom on the airplane.  We're bringing a seat back with us after using it on the trip because RF car seats are so much cheaper stateside, but not one there.  Expats have all said that flying with babies isn't a big deal, but it seems like 2 hour hops have their own challenges!
  • Options
    @Hawkward The first link, the baby was okay.  Not saying the baby shouldn't have been restrained, but turbulence didn't kill the baby.  The second one, the baby did die.  The plane crashed though and 100 other people died, most likely adults.  I stand by my thought that a car seat really wouldn't do much in a plane crash.  I've been through a baby dying.  It sucks.  I would do everything in my power to keep my child(ren) safe, but never before have I heard of turbulence killing a baby.  And even in your links, not seeing it.  Would I used a CARES harness?  Definitely!  I'm really confused why it needs to be something a parent purchases to use though.  Shouldn't they have a set number on the plane if that's the safe way to buckle in a child?  I think a lot needs to be done to raise awareness because I wasn't aware of any of this before our conversation today.
    imageimage

• Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    @mom2case, I really don't know why you're insisting on being so stubborn about this. The FAA says car seats are safer.

Here are more articles (infant death mentioned in #3):
    https://www.carseat.se/travel-tips/airline-statistics/

https://www.travelwithyourkids.com/on-the-plane/should-you-use-a-car-seat-on-the-plane

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2422320/

You're right; very few people die from turbulence-related accidents, and a car seat doesn't guarantee safety in the event of a crash. But to me, it's worth it to take precautions.

If you want to "stand by your thought that a car seat wouldn't do much in a plane crash," you are welcome to that opinion, but it kind of flies in the face of the evidence.
  • Options
    When I've flown with ds they've let me take the car seat on the plane if it wasn't fully booked. If that seat between you stays empty you could prob bring her seat.

Maybe bring a special treat to distract her if she doesn't sleep.

Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"