Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Too late for a carrier?

LO is about 20lbs. I've never gotten around to getting a carrier, but I'm thinking about it. We are really active in the summer months hiking, shopping etc and I think it would be easier than a stroller for certain things. I was looking at a few and I think they went up to like 40lbs. I'm pretty strong. Is it feasible for him to be able to use it for several more months or not worth the money?

Re: Too late for a carrier?

• Options
    Every carrier has a different weight range. Mine goes up to 55 lbs. Since babies weight gain slows down the older they get, you will have ever more time. Look around for a baby wearing group where you can try out or rent different carriers. You can also look into some good condition used carriers online.

My carrier is invaluable to me. LO is it at least 6 hours a day. I can get things done around the house, easily leave the house, and 'hold' get while going to social events.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @carmen101613 It isn't too late as far as the weight, but if you're wanting to use it outside, I would recommend just the stroller. Around the house (in the AC) is fine. But LO gets so hot and sweaty in our carrier, even when we are outside for only a little. Maybe it's just our carrier (Ergo, which I love for shopping, etc.), but outside is brutal for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You may want to barrow one and try it out before investing in one. I say this because having never been carried in one your LO may object to being worn. But weight wouldn't be an issue. I have an ergo. Dd is 18 lbs and her weight us no problem. I've seen 18month olds in ergo carriers.
  • Options
    LC122LC122 member
    I carry both my 8 month old and my 2.5 year old in our Ergo (not at the same time).

I agree with a trial run but also consider that your baby may or may not like it on any given day, so don't give up on something after one try. A babywearing group with a lending library is great. Or borrow from a friend or neighbor. And/or buy used.
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    LO is in an Ergo and he loves it, but we've been doing it from an early age. I wear him on my back now, and that keeps both of us much cooler on hot days. By wearing him on my back there's a bit of space between the two of us so we get a little breeze going through. Plus its easier on my back to carry him on my back now that he's about 20 lbs. 

I don't think its too late, but you may have to give LO time to get used to the carrier. Small amounts of time just around the house before venturing outside. If you can find a babywearing group that would be great! Otherwise order from Amazon, try out for a day or two and then return if you don't like it. I'd try an Ergo and a Becco Gemini.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ChrMooChrMoo member
    I'm a member of the South Florida Babywearing Group. I own woven wraps and ring slings. I carry both my 2 1/2 yr DD (37 lbs) and 6 mo (23lbs) tandem. I have been in a wrapping session and watched our instructor wear another mother to prove how durable the woven wraps are. I agree with the PP it would be in your best interest to attend a group meeting to try different styles of carriers/wraps/slings before you invest in one. I'm sure you can find one in your area. Good luck, I know once I started baby wearing it changed my life!
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"