Cloth Diapering
Options

Hair color

I need some opinions.image

I have a lot of gray. I want to cover it. I can't go extreme (I work in a pretty conservative office). Should I go darker? Lighter? Maybe a honey brown? I might try this at home, so let's keep it simple.

Re: Hair color

• Options
    I wouldn't go darker. Maybe add a little auburn into it. You could do honey brown as well, but I just love auburn hair, so that's my vote :-)
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It's harder to tell your coloring (if you take a picture in natural light it would show up better on my iPad) but I think you'd look good going dark auburn.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's harder to tell your coloring (if you take a picture in natural light it would show up better on my iPad) but I think you'd look good going dark auburn.

Yeah, we have no sun today. But I think you maybe right on with the color. I didn't think of that one
  • Options
    Is your hair naturally pretty dark? (I'd assume yes from your eyebrows, but one never knows.) I think in your position I would try highlights first. They camouflage grays pretty well in my hair, although mine is several shades lighter than yours. PS I am super jealous that you can wear a pixie cut! So cute! I always think they look like so much fun!

• Options
    It's a mousy brown.

I am loving the short cut, but I do have to spend a few minutes styling it every day. Where with longer hair I had the option to pull it back.
  • Options
    I love the cut! I think either the dark auburn or doing medium brown and adding in some golden brown highlights for summer.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Also, if your going to do it yourself and not go to a professional. Please go to Sally's and do either the Loreal Pro or Ion brand color. Box color isn't very good for your hair, yes people get good results, but it's not good for your hair in the long run and they hard to correct in the future.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Also for the love of goodness people don't use Pantene or Fructise shampoo and conditioner. So freaking bad for your hair.
  • Options
    I say embrace your greys! Haha I'm letting mine grow out. I don't want to end up an 80 year old lady with dark hair and white roots.
  • Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    Also for the love of goodness people don't use Pantene or Fructise shampoo and conditioner. So freaking bad for your hair.
    I know nothing about hair care products, but I've always wondered about both Pantene and Fructise.  They build up in your hair so fast! Glad to know I'm not crazy! 

image imageimageimage

• Options
    CLLDLL said:
    I know nothing about hair care products, but I've always wondered about both Pantene and Fructise.  They build up in your hair so fast! Glad to know I'm not crazy! 
    Pantene coats your hair in essentially a silk protein. This makes it so that hair color doesn't penetrate and when applying high heat (ie straighteners or curler) you can actually melt your hair. Fructise is bad cuz it pumps your hair full of protein until it bursts, so your hair will fall out more on it and it creates split ends.
  • Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I agree with ITK's color suggestion!

And @Nana_Osaki06‌ What type of shampoo (commercially available, but can go to a specialty place like ulta or sephora) do you recommend?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I really really like the Organics (OGX) line. I can find the most selection at Target. I can usually find a good one to use when I feel to lazy to go to the pro store. I personally use either Biolage or AG. AG is fab and I love it. It's sulfate free, all natural, and cruelty free, but it is professional product. I finish with the OGX argan oil and it feels fab.

https://www.ogxhair.com/
  • Options
    Can I hijack for a second and ask you what your opinion is about the F450 straightening treatment? My new stylist told me about it so I've looked at a little bit of info online. It is so so expensive, but if it lasted for 6 months or longer, I might ask for that for Christmas.

• Options
    Can I hijack for a second and ask you what your opinion is about the F450 straightening treatment? My new stylist told me about it so I've looked at a little bit of info online. It is so so expensive, but if it lasted for 6 months or longer, I might ask for that for Christmas.
    I've never personally used this line of thermal treatment. However, I have done many thermals before. It is very very expensive. The reason it is is due to the time it takes. For long hair it takes a good 5-8 hours. It's sort of like a reverse perm. In between each step the stylist normally straightens each strand until it's poker straight, then apply the next step. It's also very very damaging to your hair, even more so than a perm. Since it's using similar product and processing as a perm, only with high heat added in. I personally like doing them. It's a fun process. However, if your one to color your hair a lot and are worried about long term damage, look away! If you really really want straight hair though, totally do it.
  • Options
    mmm50mmm50 member
    After reading this thread I think I am going to let @Nana_Osaki06 pick my next hairstyle.  I have super long curly hair and am thinking about chopping it all off and donating it- but can't make a decision.  
  • Options
    How curly we talking here? Like crazy curls or curly, but soft curls. If the later a short do would look fab, if the the frst one.... well, you might end up with some serious Simpsonesque hair.
  • Options
    Oh, and make sure you don't do Locks of Love if you donate.
  • Options
    I really want a pixie again, but last pregnancy my face got really fat, and I already have a heart shaped face that I'm self conscious about. So waist length hair it is, I guess. :(
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    I rock a pixie normally. I have a square face, but it looks round due to the cheeks. I now do the middle ground of an inverted bob. My face needs to slim down before I go back to my little boy hair.
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    I love that style on you! I've never had short hair because I find that it suits so few people but the cut really looks great on you!

@Nana_Osaki06‌ can I ask why not to donate to locks of love? (I'm a little afraid to hear the answer - I just donated 14 inches about a month ago)

• Options
    km_md said:
    I love that style on you! I've never had short hair because I find that it suits so few people but the cut really looks great on you! @Nana_Osaki06‌ can I ask why not to donate to locks of love? (I'm a little afraid to hear the answer - I just donated 14 inches about a month ago)
    Locks of Love uses the hair to make the wigs and the sell them to cancer patients. They do not donate the wigs at all. Essentially you donate your hair for free, they make a profit off your hair. There is another foundation similar to Locks of Love that actually makes and donates wigs to young cancer patients. It's through Loreal I believe.
  • Options
    mmm50mmm50 member
    Thanks for the heads up on Locks of Love.  My hair won't be going there.
  • Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Locks also doesn't specialize in cancer patients. They do a lot of alopecia. I would prefer a non profit and specifically cancer patients.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member

km_md said:

I love that style on you! I've never had short hair because I find that it suits so few people but the cut really looks great on you!

@Nana_Osaki06‌ can I ask why not to donate to locks of love? (I'm a little afraid to hear the answer - I just donated 14 inches about a month ago)

Locks of Love uses the hair to make the wigs and the sell them to cancer patients. They do not donate the wigs at all. Essentially you donate your hair for free, they make a profit off your hair. There is another foundation similar to Locks of Love that actually makes and donates wigs to young cancer patients. It's through Loreal I believe.

I wish I had known that beforehand. But everyone around here seems to donate to locks of love so I didn't think twice about it. My hair grows fast and I'm sure I will donate again some time so I will do some research before I do.

• Options
    countrycottoncountrycotton member
    edited June 2014
    @Nana_Osaki06‌ what about wen shampoo? I never use the same shampoo more than twice in a row, I have Pantene, Paul Mitchell tea tree, and selsun blue right now in my shower. So I use one for a few days then the next for a few days to avoid build up. I rarely use conditioner because my hair is super oilly, well it used to be pre baby now it's normal, but I still rarely use it.

Edited to add

I agree with the auburn, to honey brown. But I think just highlights. I feel like it would camoflague the gray and be less maintance than a full color.
  • Options
    I haven't used Wen. So I really have no opinions on it. My hair is very thin and oily, I always use conditioner. I damage my hair too much without it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"