Breastfeeding

any other ways to increase supply??

my supply dropped down when I went back to work.
I only get about 1oz total from both breasts
i have tried
-fenugreek
-mother's milk tea
-oatmeal
-water
-pumping more often
-a LC

my dh asked why I even bother, I barely get anything. my babygirl is only 5 months, I'm not ready to give it up yet. anything else I can do or is it a lost cause?

Re: any other ways to increase supply??

• It sounds like you aren't letting down for the pump. I would consider replacing all of your membranes (the thin white soft plastic piece that fits over the valve) and check and make sure there are no holes or anything in your tubing.  Make sure you are giving yourself enough time to pump, should be around 20 minutes of just pumping, not including setup or takedown. Look at pictures or videos of LO, try to close your eyes and just zone out a little bit. A lot of moms (myself included at times) would try to pump while working and I'd never yield nearly as much when I did that. Make sure you are pumping every 3 hours.

Lastly, have a discussion with your DH, tell him that this is important to you and you'd really appreciate his support, even if it's just refraining from negative comments like that.  Even if you aren't able to produce much with the pump during the day and do need to supplement, just removing any milk from your breasts during the day will help protect some supply for you to nurse LO when you are together. On that note also- make sure you are nursing LO as often as possible when you're together, it really helps things keep going.

Best of luck to you and hang in there.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry you're struggling with this, I know how hard it is. I agree with pps and I just want to add that as I've tried to increase my supply again after starting to wean then changing my mind, I have noticed a difference with Motherlove More Milk Plus.

Also, since you are back at work you may not be drinking/eating as much and you may not even realize it. I always pump less on days I don't push the liquids.

Good luck! I really hope you figure it out!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you! 
  • what is power pumping? I was taking fenugreek 3 pills 3x/day. i use a medela instyle...used to have a medela hospital grade one that i liked a lot better. I'll check my tubing.  My daughter stopped nursing when I went back to work, will not latch and literally screams her head off when I try so I'm just pumping now. The LC told me to do all the stuff I already did. I don't know if I'm eating enough, I try but I feel like I'm eating nonstop!  I should probably drink more water though. My breasts feel full and then I only get 1oz total. I hope it's the pump! Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"