Parenting
Options

Talk to me about Baptisims and Catholic Schools

Our niece is getting baptized this weekend and I just wanna know is it a requirement if you are going to a catholic school to be baptized?  Is it optional and maybe she wants it because all her friends are doing it? 

My BIL/SIL are the least religious people you could meet and I know that she is going to this school for the prestigious aspect vs. religious (not judging just a known fact) so I just wonder why they are going through this ritual.  Before I ask them I need to know some background on how this all works....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Talk to me about Baptisims and Catholic Schools

• Options
    Thanks!  Bumping from work rocks!

• Options
    Agree with mbenit. We had non Catholics in our school.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not Catholic. 

Isn't it easier to deal with all that when you are a child versus as an adult?  I get that sense from friends.  
  • Options
    You don't have to be Catholic to attend. However depending in the school you might not get in if you are not. Our school has waiting lists. All parish members and siblings get selected first, then neighboring parish members, then non Catholics. We were initially on a wait list. But got a call 10 days before school started. So it unlikely that someone not Catholic would be selected they would probably be way down at the bottom.

If someone is planning on attending a Catholic school that could be a motivator to get the child baptized. You have to be baptized to get the other sacraments the school does.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options

Not Catholic. 

Isn't it easier to deal with all that when you are a child versus as an adult?  I get that sense from friends.  
    Yes, for sure. If it was easy DH would just become catholic. We've had priests come up and ask if we'd like to have our marriage blessed by the church. He always hates it. Not my favorite part of the church.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options

FFFC within the thread:

I side eye the fact that they are going through with this because how do you have your kid learn all these religious things but not live by the same rules? Because I assure you there is no religious living going on in our family

• Options
    Because, as I understand it, the Catholic church is very strict on what is blessed, allowed, etc for unbaptized and baptized.  If I were a non-practicing Catholic, I would rip the band-aid off and check that box off for my child so she wasn't outcast by the Church.
  • Options
    I mean I would go ahead and have my child baptized and able to partake in sacraments.  It seems easier to just do it even if you aren't practicing.  That way it is done and out of the way.  She can partake in church activities at school (with her friends) that she otherwise could not. 

I didn't mean any snarky anti-Catholic thing at all.   
  • Options
    Outcast was the wrong word.  I drew a blank.  
  • Options

I'm a wacky disagreeing with half the catholic church Catholic who had her bambino baptized. Takes all kinds. And I'll send him to catholic school because it's more rigorous than our public school. Half heathen up in here.

This is pretty much us.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options

all good points.  I think I might be projecting my SO's religious views on his brother when I think about all this.  My So says he strongly feels that Sammie can and should make all religious decisions and choices on her own when she old enough to understand it all.

I'm just being a judgy judgy as I google to see if a gift is expected when we attend this event.

• Options
    mbenit4 said:
    credcat7 said:

all good points.  I think I might be projecting my SO's religious views on his brother when I think about all this.  My So says he strongly feels that Sammie can and should make all religious decisions and choices on her own when she old enough to understand it all.

I'm just being a judgy judgy as I google to see if a gift is expected when we attend this event.

Catholic baptisms are not the same as let's say Baptist ones. This is not about her relationship with God or religion yet. It is her parents saying they promise to teach her about Jesus and Catholicism, which she will get if attending Catholic school.

While in school her religious teachings begin. Then around 14-15 they do a Confirmation. This is you "at age" saying you choose to continue in Catholocism or not. This age is common in other religions as well for making this decision.

Bottomline - she isn't being locked into anything.

That explains a lot to me. I went to Baptist Missionary schools growing up (non religious parents BUT third world living) so baptisms in my head are big deal and commitment (never did it myself)

@pobrecita SO said he though cash was the way to go too.  I was thinking of a lego chapel hahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"