1st Trimester

3.5 weeks pregnant and prescribed Amoxicillin

I just found out I was pregnant this week and have had a fever of 98 -101 for the last 48 hours. I have been coughing up yellow phlegm. The doctor says I have an upper respiratory infection and prescribed me amoxicillin and says it is safe to take. I am really nervous because this is my first pregnancy and I never imagined things starting off this way. I am trying to decide if the risk of getting a worse infection if I don't take Amoxicillin is a greater risk than taking them. Has anyone taken Amoxcillin this early on?

Re: 3.5 weeks pregnant and prescribed Amoxicillin

• Amoxicillin is much safer than leaving your infection untreated. FWIW, I had a really bad sinus infection and was taking Amoxicillin when I found out I was pregnant with DD. She's completely fine :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Amoxicillin is fine. I took it for bronchitis when I was about 6 weeks this time and no issues. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback - This is my first time posting and I appreciate it. I thought it about all last night and I agree with what people said about the infection being worse than the Amoxicillin. I took the first dose this morning.

• You'll be fine, honey. Take your antibiotics and get well! I had tonsilitis during my first trimester and had to be on amoxicillin for 2 weeks. Not to mention all of the over-the-counter stuff I took before I was diagnosed (all ok'd by my doc, of course).

Docs have a whole list of things that you can take while pregnant and not harm anything and penicillin is one of them. Feel better.

• Your OB wont give you anything you cannot safely take. They give amoxicillin to very young babies if they need antibiotics. Youll be fine
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"