September 2013 Moms
Options

Newborn baby girl questions/tips/insight

I am not sure if I asked this before or not but looking for advice on newborn baby girls.

All I know are boys, boys, and more boys. Is there any difference in newborn/infant care? I have read that girls will bleed a little bit after birth, is it like a little bit?

Any tips or advice would be appreaciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newborn baby girl questions/tips/insight

• Options
    cputman200cputman200 member
    edited June 2014
    Congratulations on your girl. I was scared as well coming from a boy first. Like PP said just get all the creases, poop goes every where. I never noticed any bleeding and everything was swollen a few days.

Eta: not just the ladies bits. I didn't realize/remember there being such a big crease between the thigh and her front. Even now I have to get poop out of that leg crease.

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I am trying to prepare DH lol and myself. He is very nervous.

Really this poor girl doesn't have a chance with 3 older brothers and will be starting school at the same time with Garrett.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO had about a q-tip size of blood in every diaper for about a week and she had clear goopy dishcharge that was all normal her doctor said. & yes poop will definitely get in the crease, always wipe from front to back.
  • Options
    We also had a small amount of the baby menses, but not until about 2 weeks old (pedi said it's usually earlier than though). As pp said, you can expect swollen labia and swollen breasts until this passes.

• Options
    DH had changed hundreds of diapers by the time our baby girl came along but he was a wreck the first time he changed her poopy diaper. Getting in the creases to clean it had him literally shaking! But after a few times you get used to it. Now I just need him to master pigtails! ;-)
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The one thing I remember that freaked me out was she had super thick glue like discharge s few days after birth. The reason it freaked me out was because I literally had to pull it out of her, sorry if that sounds disgusting. Needless to say, I called the birthing centre and they said it's perfectly normal. She had a faint pinkish red mark in her diaper but that's about it as far as bleeding is concerned. Get your DH prepared because mine is still freaked out a bit. He's fine with changing her but he won't ever make sure that every crease is clean because he feels like he would hurt her..and like a PP said, make sure he never wipes back to front. I still catch my H doing it sometimes and it pisses me off. Thankfully, he only changes 1-2 diapers a week, lol. Edited to add more cause I likes to talk.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mmdd20mmdd20 member

We didn't have any bleeding early on. But one thing we did deal with was a fused labia. I didn't even know this was a thing until her 4 month check up and at that point, it was almost completely fused closed. We started with vaseline to try to seperate it, but that didn't work so at 6 months she had to go on an estrogen cream. It just recently opened up and now we are back to vaseline.

It was minor and NDB but it puts her at a higher risk for UTI, but something you want to keep an eye on with diaper changes. If you see the labia start to fuse, contact your pedi and start with the vaseline.

Congrats!!!

• Options
    RedDDDRedDDD member
    not a lot of difference for us...didn't notice any discharge or any of that....she cries really dramatically but thats the only difference I have noticed :)
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone. Sorry a little late back to the party, fell asleep and then had a rough day at work.

So nothing to much different, this is gonna get exciting lol. Now to keep DH from panicking!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"