June 2013 Moms

Tantrums?

Anyone else having problems with LO throwing "tantrums" when he/she doesn't get his/her way? LO has recently started spazzing out anytime we take something away from him that he still wants, anytime we put him in the pack and play for a second so that we can go to the bathroom, etc. He starts the full on waterworks, screaming, and sometimes thrashing his legs around. He also likes to do what I call the "dead fish" when he doesn't want to be picked up to have his diaper changed or something--he makes his whole body go limp so that it's very difficult to carry him.

It's not that often maybe three or four times a day, but this past week, it's been worse than usual.

Any suggestions or anyone having a similar experience? I thought they were too young for this!

Re: Tantrums?

• Yes! I have found that distraction is my friend. I distract her with a toy or a safe non-toy. Sometimes it takes 2-3 different things, but it has always worked so far.

TTC since August 2011 (Me-29, DH-32).
    4/28/2012 - SA: 5% motility.
    5/21/2012 - SA: same results.
    Only shot is IVF (ICSI)
    5/31/2012 - HSG: all clear
    6/22/2012 - appt with RE, confirmed ICSI is necessary.
    8/3/2012 - First IVF Monitoring Appointment
    8/17/2012 - Egg Retrieval (retrieved 23 eggs, 3 made it to freezer)
    8/18/2012 - OHSS - hospitalized, need to wait one cycle to transfer embryo(s) due to OHSS
    8/29/2012 - begin meds for frozen cycle
    10/12/2012 - FET one embryo
    10/24/2012 - Beta #1: 442
    10/26/2012 - Beta #2: 947
    10/29/2012 - Beta #3: 2900!
    11/15/2012 - first u/s: baby measuring perfect, heart rate is right on target
    2/6/2013 - A/S looked perfect. Still team green by choice!
    7/6/2013 - Baby girl born after 44 hours of un-medicated labor, 2 hours of pushing, and emergency c-section due to transverse head.  DD was perfectly healthy at 6 pounds, 14 ounces.  We are thrilled!!
  • J will throw herself on the ground, if she's in her back, she will kick her legs. Or she will lay down on her stomach with her face down and scream
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! We have a fit thrower here too anytime I put him down or take something away. It's exhausting hope it gets better soon.
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    smpeachey said:

E does this. It only lasts for a minute most of the time. I am the mean parent that giggles when he flops over and lays his face on the floor and cries. He almost always moves on, unless he wants more food then he cries until we get him more bottle. My only advice is to wait him out if possible. 

It really is probably only a minute like you said, but it feels so much longer at the time!
  • BC&LMBC&LM member

Yup. And terribly, if you're trying to gently wrench something from her hot little hands, she tries to bite you! This is sooo not cool.

Well, I guess that's one good thing for me; he hasn't bitten me yet!
  • A has trird to bite twice and swatting at our faces so we've been saying don't do that and put her down or ignore her and she cries for a second. And doesn't repeat it. Pedi was talking to me today about tantrums and said to try to ignore it bc response both positive and negative is what they fuel off to continue doing the behavior.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a fit thrower to. Today I wouldn't let her suck on the hand sanitizer bottle and she got so angry at me. It cracks me up but I try not to respond to it and just distract her with something else.

• Yep, its like the terrible twos are setting in early over here. She flips out if we take things away, no tears but screaming sometimes accompanied by biting and hitting. We usually tell her 'no' when she hits or bites but I've noticed recently that when she does, she'll say 'no' too. So we have to stop that. Redirecting/a distraction sometimes works but mostly we just have to ignore her until she calms down.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our tantrum culprit: Desitin. Take that tube and wow, he will let us know our mistake. It cracks me up thinking of the "toys" he likes best.
  • I'm seeing tantrum behavior during diaper changing time.

I found this helpful. It's a local organization in Sydney.

https://www.tresillian.net/tresillian-tips/tantrums.html
  • Oh man yes, he's started wet noodling all over the place when he gets mad, also arching his back all the way if you're holding him. The worst though is this new trick of slapping you across the face if you're holding him and he's mad, it's both infuriating and hysterical. 
  • @BunnyLove416‌ We got a face smack followed by a headbutt this morning. I managed to limit myself to an "ow" before quickly putting him in his playgate for a short timeout.
    @huckleberry08 Oh man the headbutt, that is no joke when they hit you just right! I'm going to start enforcing the put him down and walk away I think. I don't know what it is about the determined look on his adorable little face as he rears his hand back to smack you but I giggle every time and I know that's not helping! ha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"