8 Retrieved, 8 Mature, 5 Fertilized naturally
I was shocked that they didn't do ICSI, since we discussed it and agreed to it. I am happy that we have five to work with, but can't help thinking that ICSI might have brought those other three along as well. This is our lowest fertilization percentage of all five IVFs. In any case, this is what we're working with.
We've been planning since our initial consultation to do a 3dt, as part of the protocol changes, with the theory that maybe my embryos will be happier developing in my uterus than in a lab. So, it was a big surprise to us this morning when my RE told us that she would let us know Saturday morning if we're doing a 3dt or a 5dt. Huh?! I thought we already made that decision. As this option was never even discussed, my DH and I were very confused and put a call in to have her call us back to explain. Her explanation? "Well, I never expected you to have 5 fertilize." Seriously? Based on my history, that is very possible. So now we have lots more decisions to make.
We now have two scenarios:
1. If there are 4 or 5 developing embryos on day 3, we can choose to A) Wait until day 5 and send all still in play for PGS testing, freeze, and plan a FET for next month. Hope that there are 1-3 embryos still developing to do a fresh 5dt, and freeze any over 3 without testing. C) Transfer random 3 as 3dt, then hope the remaining 1 or 2 make it to day 5 freeze.
2. If there are only 1-3 still progressing on day 3, we can choose to A) Transfer all as 3dt. Wait until Monday and do a 5dt on any still in play.
The RE seems to not like the option of PGS, as she doesn't want to risk injuring the embryos by the test sampling or risk a freeze and thaw on my fragile old eggs. That seems reasonable, but it's also not exciting to think of the possibility of carrying a non-viable pregnancy around for several months and the horrible result that will inevitably bring.
We are also surprised that she is recommending a 5dt, when in our initial consult, she sold us on specifically aiming for a 3dt with hopes of a better growing environment for the embryos. We are more confused now than ever. This is crazy.
Please give me your input and what YOU would choose. I know we all make our own decisions, mostly based on our guts and trust in our RE's expertise, but maybe your insight will help me clarify my own thoughts.
Food for thought, here is my past fert history:
IVF #1 12R, 7M, 6F. Five made it to PGS; all had abnormalities
IVF #2 9R, 5M, 5F. Two made it to PGS; all had abnormalities
IVF #3 6R, 2M, 2F. No testing, 1 made it to 5dt (I was severely under-stimmed, IMHO), BFN
IVF #4 5R, 3M, 3F. No testing, 2 made it to 5dt, BFN
IVF #5 8R, 8M, 5F. ???
Edited to add: I strongly doubt there will be more than 3 in play by Saturday. We're just trying to cover our bases to be prepared for the remote possibility of more. I'd rather have us discuss our options now and decide over two days rather than have to make a snap decision in 5 minutes prior to a potential transfer.
*****DAY 3 UPDATE: 1 eight cell, 1 seven cell, 1 six cell, 1 three cell, and 1 two cell. Decided to wait for a 5dt on Monday.
My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com -Update - old blog.
Me: 42, Hubby: 35, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR (hetero-C677T), Factor V Leiden, and Fragile X (on DH side). Taking pre-natal vitamins.
First natural PG 9/27/11; mc: 1/20/12
First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12, IVF injection class: 10/11/12, add FaBB Tab for FVL, +Vitamin D.
IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, E2- 24, LH- 3.7, Prog- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning.
ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS. ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities."
IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13
ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS. ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."
IVF #3: NEW RE! 3/1/13 Baseline: FSH- 9.6, E2- 61, Prog- 0.94, 3 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle& 150 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/7/13: Add Ganirelix SQ in AM. hCG Trigger 3/9/13 SQ.
ER 3/11/13: 6R, 2M, 2F. Day 3: one 8 cell, grade 0. Five day ET 3/16/13: one early blast, grade Fair. 3/24/13 AF came a day before beta. BFN
IVF #4: (Added acupuncture to this cycle.) 3/25/13 WTF & Baseline: FSH-11.8, E2- 56, Prog- 0.84 3/26/13 Start stims. 3/30/13 u/s: 5 follicles in my right & 4 in my left. Rx: 225 Bravelle& 225 Menopur SQ in PM. 3/31/13 Add Ganirelix SQ in AM.hCG Trigger 4/3/13 SQ.
ER 4/5/13: 5R, 3M, 3F naturally. Day 3: two 8 cell, grade 0, one 8 cell, grade 2 (Scale 0-best to 3-worst). Five day ET 4/10/13: two blastocysts (the 3rd stopped growing.) Beta 4/18/13: 2.5 BFFN. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the extremely poor quality of my eggs.
***Decided to stop trying and live CFNBC. I couldn't adjust. So, six months later...
IVF #5: Changed RE. Going to one of the big name clinics now. OWDU: 10/29/13. Update: HORRIBLE experience. Disgusted and distraught at their complete unprofessionalism and how much money and precious time they cost us. Sickening. Have now changed RE again. New Patient appt. 1/30/14.
BFP! Out of nowhere, I got KU the old fashioned way! POAS 1/26/14 - Positive! FDLM 12/30/13. Beta #1 16dpo= 373. Beta #2 18dpo= 801. EDD 10/6/14
2/4/14 1st U/S revealed a 5wk2day sac but no fetal pole. Started 200mgs of progesterone suppositories daily
2/11/14 2nd U/S revealed a perfect 6wk1day "diamond ring" embryo with a beating heart! 138bpm! Add 1mg folic acid and 40mg Lovenox
2/25/14 3rd U/S: perfect 8w1d embryo, 178bpm. 3/6 start spotting. 3/11 10w1d U/S shows no heartbeat. Scheduling D&C. The Stork has forsaken me again.
IVF #5.2: New in-state RE. Supplement priming for 1.5 cycles prior to start of cycle, including DHEA 50mg (stopped 5/15), CoQ10 200mg 2x/day, L-Arginine- 1000mg 2x/day (stopped 6/5 due to cold sore!), myo-inositol- 2g 2x/day, melatonin- 3mg, and Neevo (prenatal for MTHFR).
5/16/14 Day 2 bw cycle prior: FSH- 12.22, E2- 38.37, Prog- 1.35, LH- 9.46. 6/2/14 Day 19 bw: Prog- 23
6/12/14 Baseline: E2- 122.7, Prog- 0.4. 5 follicles in left, 4 follicles in right. Start stims: 375IU Follistim & 150IU Menopur. 6/19 Increase Follistim to 425IU, Menopur still 150IU. 6/18 add Ganirelix. 6/23 Ovidrel trigger SQ. 6/25 ER: 8R, 8M, 5F naturally. Start Medrol & Doxy. 6/26 Start Endometrin. 7/2 Start Lovenox.
7/8/14 Beta= 137.4 BFP!!! (My first from IVF!) E2- 1109, Prog- >60. Stop CoQ10, myo-inositol, and melatonin. 7/9 2nd Beta= 281.4. TSH- 2.70. Increasing Synthroid to 100mcg daily. 7/24 6w3d u/s measured 6w3d, hb: 121bmp! 8/5 8w1d u/s measured 8w3d, hb: 164bpm! Graduated from RE to OB. Now I just need to find an OB!