October 2012 Moms
Options

Running out of the yard

DS is at my parents house all day while we work.  He used to play in the top yard and listen when my mom said stay in the yard.  Now he runs toward the road, they live in a very quiet neighborhood but we don't know how to teach him he can't run out there.  I have tried sitting him down and talking, he doesn't care and tapped his hand and said no, we don't run out of the yard. 

Any ideas?  

I'm not going to make my parents put up a fence so that DS can play in the yard. My parents are getting older and cannot run after him if he takes off. Well they can run but can't catch him. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Running out of the yard

• Options
    No advice, but I am dealing with the same thing when we are in the front yard because we have a park across the street.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    I agree with what @mbm1983 said. Also, if they have a deck could you use a baby gate to block off the stairs and put him on the deck with some toys when he tries to run off? That way he will start to understand that he can't be in the yard when he's not staying there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a big yard and Emma still likes to take off. We are having a fence put up next month to help keep her in the back yard (but mainly for the dog). We also live on the end of a quiet culde sac. When we go for walks on the sidewalk (10x a day) she will try to run into the street from neighbors driveways. I have just been telling her "no street we walk on the sidewalk."
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• Options
    CnAnACnAnA member
    What about one of the 8 - sided play yards? They're about $80 here I think. It's small for our kids now but it'll keep them safe.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Wally3Wally3 member
    What I did was ds1 was give him one warning not to go in the road or we would go inside.  Then I would pick him up and take him inside kicking and screaming if he did it again.  It only took a couple of times til he learned that I meant business and stopped running in the road.  he was about this age when I did it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wally3 said:
    What I did was ds1 was give him one warning not to go in the road or we would go inside.  Then I would pick him up and take him inside kicking and screaming if he did it again.  It only took a couple of times til he learned that I meant business and stopped running in the road.  he was about this age when I did it.
    Was going to say this exactly!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"