Working Moms

Pre-school advice (sorry, long)

DS is about to turn 2 and currently goes to DC 2 days a week, spend 2 days with my parents and 1 day with the ILs.  I’m not in love with his DC but it’s fine.  We had always planned on sending him to pre-school when he is old enough and had 2 schools in mind.  Both originally only took children 3 years and older.

School 1 - I went for a tour once and really loved it.  Very bright open rooms, good curriculum, the teachers really seemed to care.  But I don’t know anyone who goes there and the tour was an open-house after hours so have no idea how the teachers actually interact with the kids.

School 2 - My neighbour sent her children there and highly recommended it.  We went for a tour and it seemed fine.  It was one giant open space for all the 3 - 5 year olds.  The space doesn’t seem as nice as School 1 but I think that teachers are more important and the teachers seemed nice.

I “think” School 1 was my top choice.  But in recent discussions with the director there, she told me that for this school year, they had almost no openings for the morning classes due to priority sibling registrations etc.; so there’s a high likelihood that we may not get the morning classes (which is what we want) if we register in 2015. 

School 2 recently opened up a 2 year old program so I can send DS there starting this September.  Both DH and I don’t want to move him after 1 year, so if he goes to School 2 now, we’d probably just keep him there.

What do you think?  Should I send him to School 2 now or keep with our current arrangement and just wait till he turns 3 and try to get in School 1?

Re: Pre-school advice (sorry, long)

• I'd go with school 2 and get DC used to it now :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • AZ123AZ123 member

I vote School 1 because that's where you gut is telling you to go. However, I would go during school being in session.

I don't vote School 2 because I wouldn't want an open room - mixed class concept of 3 year olds with 5 year olds. There's a big development and behavioral differences between ages and even between 6 months age difference.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Is the second school a Montessori?  They tend to have open classrooms.  

For option 1, I would want to visit during school hours before deciding.  I would not enroll if that weren't an option.  
  • I wouldn't send a 2 year old to preschool. Way too young IMO.
  • I wouldn't send a 2 year old to preschool. Way too young IMO.
    Why?
  • SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    edited June 2014
    I wouldn't send a 2 year old to preschool. Way too young IMO.
    My son started Montessori at 18 months and he loved it.

Plan on doing the exact same thing with son 2
  • To add to LibraryChica, seeing a class in action has both sealed the deal regarding a school and nixed another.  

Preschool at age 2 is a bit of a misnomer.  They typically do play based learning surrounding a theme.  It isn't all instruction time expecting a young one to sit and learn like how you might picture.
  • Both School 1 and School 2 are Montessori.  I know DS is not likely going to do a lot of "learning", and I prefer that.  I want to make sure he gets plenty of play time and both schools seem to offer that.

Good advice about checking School 1 out while it's in session. 

• We are sending our 2 yo to preschool, in preparation for her actual preschool at 3. DH calls it "pre-preschool," bc the private school where she will attend has preschool at 3, pre-k at 4, and kinder at 5. Oh, and I concur you should check out School 1, but I don't think changing at that age is a huge deal. We are doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"