Babies on the Brain
Options

Intro & overweight question

Hello!
My name is Shannon and I'm new to the bump. My husband and I are finally going to start TTC after 7 years of marriage. I'm excited but I'm also unsure if we should start right now because of my weight issues--I'm at about a 27.5 BMI.
Thoughts?

Re: Intro & overweight question

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    nicpugnicpug member

Hi Shannon,  I am overweight as well.  My DH and I are TTC in July.  Being that I am overweight, I have fears and concerns but I decided to let myself not worry about that and try first.  I am going to a pre-conception appointment with my GYN.  It probably wouldn't hurt to do as well just to easy your anxiety.

If we don't get PG in July or August I am going to start charting.   GL!!! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    nicpugnicpug member
    Yes I do -but does that mean I shouldn't be thinking positively anyway? 
  • Options
    I actually agree with WhoCanItBeNow. I wouldn't say it is worthless, but it is based on sedentary life (not people who are active and have muscles and bone density varies with people), even my dietitian and variety of health professionals say that. The best shape in my life where I was going to the gym 4 days a week, walking everywhere, a lot of stamina, strength, flexibility and etc and I was at 25.8 BMI. Recently I have let myself go and now I am about 31. BMI is a good guideline but I would not put too much thought in it.

I am currently in the process of loosing weight because my gma got diabetes during pregnancy (among some other reasons) so I am trying to get my weight under control and eat healthier before trying but we are planning TTC in a couple months (it is more dependent on finishing school than weight).

Now that being said I have a cousin who is well over 100lbs more than she should I would estimate that she is about 300lbs. She has had 4 kids, but her last pregnancy was really rough on both her and her baby, from what I understand either her or her baby almost died, she was under 30 years old. Weight can be a problem but with a BMI of 27.5 I would not be concerned. Of course when the little one starts running around and carrying baby around you will get some exercise.

I feel, with no scientific evidence to back me up, that being less than 50lbs over your ideal weight (not BMI) you will be fine. This is based on the people I know who have gotten pregnant. It really is your body too. I would advise talking to your GYN if you are concerned.
  • Options
    According to BMI arnold schwarzenegger is morbidly obese. Monitoring body fat percentage is a much more accurate way of determining a healthy weight.

That said I was slightly overweight (about 10 lbs) before conceiving both pregnancies, and with my first I wasn't active throughout and gained 70lbs and felt awful. This time I've gained 40, have been very active and I feel great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @GinnyJ2012

How active were you in the second pregnancy? I am very afraid of loosing a baby, I know miscarriages are a possibility anyways (20%) but I don't know what the fine balance of staying active and pregnant. Are you active after the 1st trimester or do you stay active through it all. What is considered 'active'? Walking a mile everyday? Just Prenatal Yoga? Running 7miles everyday and lifting weights? I am trying to understand what is too active and too little activity. I feel I will be so afraid of a miscarriage that I will stop working out.

I think the biggest concern is your heart. Is your heart healthy enough? When giving birth it puts a lot of strain on your body and especially your heart. So if you are doing some sort of physical exercise the recommended amount (30-60mins a day?), I think you are fine.

On a side note, my mom's breast got huge during pregnancy and never went away. She is 145lbs, 5'3", size double Es/ size F breasts. She walks at least a mile everyday and tries to have a balance meal. If she chops off her boobs she would be closer to her ideal weight/BMI weight. I also brought this up because you might have the lingering boob size which can effect the BMI after having a baby and that your body changes.
  • Options
    @pibsquared‌ continued with all my regular activities, light jogging, walking, elliptical, yoga, weight training, and I went cross country skiing and snowshoe hiking while in CO when I was 15 weeks. My OB told me to do what I was use to doing. I've slowed down a lot the last few weeks of pregnancy because I'm so uncomfortable. Listen to your body and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

• Options
    Thank you NariaDreaming and GinnyJ2012! That is helpful to know!
  • Options
    BMI is not a very accurate measurement according to that I should weigh only about 130-150, which would look scarry skinny on my nearly 6ft frame, and would mean that I would have ZERO muscle left! Being overweight does have its risks (which I was overweight by about 60lbs pre-preg) However, I was careful about what I ate and I continued to be active. I think that Living healthy - being active, eating healthy - is more important than the number on the scale.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"