Working Moms
Options

Should I still pursue a teaching career? Advice needed.

edited June 2014 in Working Moms

I"m coming over from the SAHM board. I've been home for 4 years come September. I love being home with my 2 girls, though it wasn't really planned this way. DH's overtime got cut, he just took a second job, we are TRYING to save for a house and living in the state of NY, he just doesn't make enough to do this and for me stay home forever. I'm certified to teach Elementary school. I went back and had to get my master's in order to get certified since my B.A. was in liberal arts. I now REGRET doing this and have student loans to pay off eventually. My B.A. was paid off.  When I was halfway through the program, they put hiring restrictions on who public schools could even hire, and of course, my certification was one that was restricted. But principals CAN find ways around it and hire you if they REALLY want to. I worked full time in finance (low level sales/admin asst which I didn't care for, but I could have worked my way up) while I got my master's. I will be certified for 4 years come this February, I'm not getting any younger and would like to have some sort of "career" when I do go back to work, though I don't know how much longer I can hold off for a teaching job.

The only schools I get calls from are Catholic schools, the next borough over (at least a 45 min commute without traffic each way). Last year 5 called me but I was pregnant with 2nd DD, so didn't bother to interview at any of them. There's also our finances. I quit a very well paying job to do my student teaching. So when I do go back to work, I have to bring in a decent salary where we can actually save money. While taking a job at a Catholic school would give me experience, it would be just that. I don't think it would really bring us in enough money long term. I had a HORRIBLE experience 2 years ago at a Catholic school when I took a child leave position. The school was run horribly, I was treated extremely disrespectfully from other teachers down to the pastor and I came home in tears every day. I also felt like the life was sucked out of me being with 2nd graders. I missed DD so much as well, and probably wasn't really ready to leave her either. I resigned after only a few weeks, before September ended. Thank god the principal "forgot" to have me sign a contract and was completely understanding when I had to leave. My mother was watching dd for us and had a massive heart attack and we were left without anyone to watch her. There was just too much going on, so resigning was the best thing I did. All the confidence I had in myself went out the window and I was sad for a really long time how everything ended, but really happy to be back home with DD. Obviously, I don't include that job on my resume.

I'm not getting any younger, I'm 32 and already starting to feel "old" wanting to be a first year teacher. Relocating is not an option as DH won't move and he's the sole provider. My certification will expire in a little over a year 1/2, but I could get it renewed for another 2 years I think, and I would have to pay money of course lol. I have to get a job sometime this coming year though, and it looks like I will start applying again to office type jobs or jobs at non-profits (service coordination). I'm not sure how much longer I should hold out for a teaching job in a public school, or if it's really worth it. We have a family friend who has worked in the same public school for over 25 years, is so close with the principal that she babysits her kids, claimed the entire time I was in school that she could and would get me in her school, even to sub, yet when it came down to it, 0. So it really is that hard.  

So ladies, what would you do? Forget about teaching for good and just apply to corporate type jobs? I don't want to be renters forever and really don't think it's fair to have dh now work 2 jobs, including one on the weekend, so I can stay home. So it's time to get a job..

Re: Should I still pursue a teaching career? Advice needed.

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    That was long and I will admit I only skimmed the end and have no specific advice regarding teaching but 

OMG, 32 is NOT OLD!  Don't use your current age to influence your decisions!!!
  • Options
    Yeah I know..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honey child that was a long read but I must admit that I read every word because we are kind of in the same situationt !

I am 32 and I will be a second year teacher. My first year teaching was in 2012/2013. I was a kindergarten teacher at a CPS turn around school... Total nightmare! 

The administration was the worst, the children were basically products of absentee parents at best, and the expectations that the turn around company placed on the teachers were unreal. Everyday I was expected to work magic and given very little to no resources to make that happen.

I didn't have an aid, not even part of the time, I had 24 students and at least 5 had severe behavioral problems that ranged from undiagnosed ADHD, Emotionally Disturbed, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, and just plain lack of home training.

The entire year was an uphill battle, like you I came home in tears almost every day. And I wanted to quit by the end of every week. I dreaded going in to that place (it wasn't just me,  other teachers in the primary building suffered from panic attacks and depression due to the unhealthy environment).

I made it through the year and my principal decided to non-renew me (thank God) , I didn't plan on returning in the fall anyway and at least I was able to collect unemployment.

I took the 2013/2014 school year off and tried to pursue another degree in IT.  In November of 2013 I found out I was pregnant.  Half  way through my second semester of school I gave birth prematurely to my son (in March). I was in mourning and decided not to return to the IT program.

That brings me back to present day. I am 6 weeks pregnant, and I have to get back to work. I have tried desperately to get a job doing anything but teaching (or retail) but so far nothing !

There is a career fair for CPS teachers tomorrow that I am going to attend. I have a feeling that I am going to end up in the classroom again this fall. Something that I did not want to do.

So as I stated earlier we are in the same boat. Regarding your question about if you should forget about teaching or not I would say it depends.

I don't know how the job market is in your city/ state but here in Chicago/ IL  it sucks really bad. You literally have to know someone to get a job. It no longer goes by are you qualified, you need someone to get you in.

I have applied to over 500 non teaching jobs or more since April and I haven't received a single call back or an interview (#DEPRESSING). I feel like it will probably be easier to get hired in a teaching position so I have to go where the money is.

I don't know if you have started applying to non teaching positions yet but I would say start applying and see what you get at least you have the summer to see if you will get hired. 

If you don't have any luck getting a non teaching job then I would say consider teaching again.

What were the stipulations they were placing on entry into the public school system as a teacher, does it still prevent you from teaching with them ?

Also have you looked into charter schools ? They may not pay as much as the public schools but I think they do pay more than Catholic schools. Have you tried suburban school districts ?

I have even considered teaching online with K!2 but they pay their teachers crap ! About 20k a year.

Here is a link for companies who hire teachers. I have applied to several of them and haven't heard anything back yet, but at least you can see if it works out for you.  

https://www.ednewsdaily.com/alternatives-to-teaching-20-companies-that-hire-teachers/#chitika_close_button

• Options
    edited June 2014

Sorry my post is so long and thanks for the advice ladies. As far as judging a teaching career based on the short time I taught, of course I can't, but I'm being honest saying it's in the back of my mind.

CJ, do you teach or know about the salaries in the city of NY? First year teacher with 0 experience and a master's, which I have, at a NYC public school will make close to 55K a year. So, saying I'm going to have to start out at 30k is incorrect. Also, I'm being a realist here. We have bills, the long term goal is a house, which I why I'm even going back to work in the first place, and it would make no sense to go back to work to bring home no money. Childcare alone for 2 kids will be around 10 k. Subbing is not an option for me either. We don't have someone I could call at 6 a.m. and say "Hey, come watch my kids for me." And I would never have DH jeopardize his job to start taking off days, and he makes more money daily then I would to sub. You can't just walk in and sub either. You now have to be nominated by a principal. That's in public schools at least.

My state still has the same restrictions they did 4 years ago. Unless I'm Special ed certified, Esl or another hight needs area, they will not hire me. That is unless you have an in with a principal, bc there are ways around it. That is the reason I mentioned my family friend. There have been thousands of teachers excessed and I'm also competing now against tons of new college grads. There comes a point when you have to do what you have to do, and I think playing the woe is me act would be to NEVER return to work bc I can't find a teaching job. Not doing what is best for myself and my family and perhaps just go into a different field.

Thanks for those links too. I will def. look at those sites! And if I get any other interviews, even at Catholic schools, I will go on them. But in the meantime, will just send my resume out to jobs outside the field of teaching.

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. Teaching is hard I taught for 3 years and then I quit and I never want to do it again. Finding the right school is hard. Can you apply and then research the school and see what others are saying about it? Talk to other teachers if you can. Get as much information as you can. Good luck!
  • Options
    My first year teaching in an urban school sucked. Over the course if the summer, I realized several things. 1. Some of that was my fault. 2. The admin team was more concerned about looking good than doing what was best for teachers and students. 3. I needed better classroom management strategies.

Every summer I read professional literature to grow as a teacher. It's exciting to think of the possibilities for the new year. I think you need to evaluate your desire to teach and your teaching practices.

Did the state of NY really change the credential requirements the same year you got your credential? What's the plan for people like you who have an outdated credential? Surely you aren't the only person who is in this situation.

Catholic schools in are like any other school. Each one is different and should be evaluated as such.

Some of the best teachers I know have had other careers first. Of course, they all want to be teachers. Honestly, it sounds like you don't want to be a teacher. Teaching isn't the kind of career where you can punch the clock and be fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't have an outdated credential. My credential expires after 5 years. I've been certified for 3 years and could pay for an extension, like I posted already. Unless you have been teaching full time for those 5 years, then your certificate goes from an initial to a permanent. They put hiring restrictions on what type of teachers they could hire not currently already working within the public school system. So I'm going to assume all the graduates with the same type of certification I have are either still unemployed, subbing, or the few I know are working jobs in other fields. Or maybe went back to school to get another certificate...
  • Options

I don't have an outdated credential. My credential expires after 5 years. I've been certified for 3 years and could pay for an extension, like I posted already. Unless you have been teaching full time for those 5 years, then your certificate goes from an initial to a permanent. They put hiring restrictions on what type of teachers they could hire not currently already working within the public school system. So I'm going to assume all the graduates with the same type of certification I have are either still unemployed, subbing, or the few I know are working jobs in other fields. Or maybe went back to school to get another certificate...

I get it. My first two years I got laid off every year and when I got called back I worked in a new school. The second year I was nine months pregnant packing up my classroom. That year I didn't get called back to teach until October (and they wanted me to start the next day). Since I had a baby and couldn't just find daycare overnight, I declined the position. It's not always easy to get into the teaching profession. If you really want to teach, you can make it work.

As far as subbing goes, do you know someone who currently subs? If they get calls everyday you could still have consistent daycare needs. It would be less convenient for you because where you go every day would change but you wouldn't have grading or lesson planning to worry about either. If you want to be a teacher, I would sign up to sub while applying for regular positions as well. Good luck.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    To be honest with you, I didn't read all of your post or any of the responses but just to answer your question, yes I think it's worth it to pursue a career in teaching.  In my opinion, teaching is the best job for a mother.  I love having my summers off and breaks throughout the year to be with my family.  Sure as a teacher you bring work home but the nice thing is that you get to do that work on your time when it's convenient for you.  All of the teachers in my school who have children leave don't stay after.  I usually do my school work at night after DD goes to bed.  It's nice having the option to leave early rather than other jobs where you have to work until 5 or so.

It sounds like you had a bad experience before.  This can happen in any career, not just teaching.  I am very fortunate to be in a school where the students are nice and the administration is helpful and supportive of us.  Teaching jobs are hard to fine though.  There are A LOT of teachers looking for jobs right now.  You really have to work hard at applying and sending resumes in.  You may have to do a maternity leave position or sub or something at a school district and that way if a position opens up they will already know you.  You have to be willing to travel.  My mom commuted an hour each way to her school but she said to her it was worth it to be at a school that she really liked.  Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"