November 2013 Moms

Help Me Think Please

So Tim and I are trying to find a new place to rent. Currently we rent from my parents, and as I have told you all before, my mother is BSC! We need to move ASAP!

We are torn between two houses. The cost of renting in my area is high considering that we are in BFE Kansas, but the ARMY is here, so landlords inflate rent because they know how much soldiers get for housing allowance. The rest of us are just along for the ride. Anything under $1000 here is crap. Like seriously smells like feces crap!

The first house: $1000/month
Pros:
3 Bdrms/1.5 Bath
Ranch Style
Privacy Fence
Recently Remolded
Pantry
Big Kitchen

Cons:
Not the best area
Electric Range
In the middle of town

Second House:
$1200/month
Pros:
On 4 Acres
Edge of town (so semi-secluded, I'm not a fan of neighbors lol)
Big Kitchen
Gas Range
Mud Room
LOTS of storage/built-ins
Pantry

Cons:
2 Bdrms
Slightly Dated
No fence

If the one on the 4 acres had 3 bedrooms, then this would be a no brainer for us. We both want the privacy. We are not ready to buy yet because we do not plan on staying here once Tim finishes his apprenticeship, and there are a ton of houses for sale and I don't want to be stuck with a house we can't sell. We do plan on having at least one more baby, so that is why the 2 Bdrms makes me pause.

What would you do?

Re: Help Me Think Please

• @Finnaroo Yeah the no fence sucks. I have 2 dogs as well. They like being inside, but they have always had a fence to keep them "contained" outside. IDK how they would do without a fence. The second house has 1.5 baths as well.

@fitmama418 No, not really high crime. Just a more "run down" area I guess. It's not horrible, I certainly wouldn't be scared to live there.

@braasche1 The perks are nice lol, that I what I'm struggling with. I agree with fitmama that paying more for 1 less bedroom is stupid, but I really love that kitchen!

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What the hell is a mud room?!
    Lol it is normally a room off of the garage to take off shoes and hang jackets/purses. I think it is called a mud room because a lot of farm houses have them so that the farmers can take off muddy boots before coming into the main house. Some of them even have showers in them.

• It's a room right off the front or back door where you can take your shoes off so you don't track mud in the house. 

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• mskatiep said:

@fitmama418 No, not really high crime. Just a more "run down" area I guess. It's not horrible, I certainly wouldn't be scared to live there.

Oh well, it's settled then. Especially since you're just renting I vote house #1. Save $200 on rent, get the number of bedrooms you want, have your dogs safe in a fenced in yard, and its recently updated as you said. No brainer!

This!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @CaiShov The rental market is kind of weird actually. It is pretty much either crappy houses in very run down areas for around $700-$950 or the other extreme is new construction rentals because military had to PCS and can't sell the house they bought. Those houses are generally worth about $175K but they charge upwards of $1500-1900 in rent. There are very few middle of the road, affordable (to us), houses in decent neighborhoods. We have been looking for about a year on and off with no real motivation. I have since had some major motivation, and it is time to move. 

• @CFox815‌ we will be here for another 3.5 years. Then we will move to Kansas City.

• mskatiep said:
    @CFox815‌ we will be here for another 3.5 years. Then we will move to Kansas City.
    You should move in the area me and @smilz4782 are in!  
  • mskatiepmskatiep member
    edited June 2014
    mskatiep said:
    @CFox815‌ we will be here for another 3.5 years. Then we will move to Kansas City.
    That would be fun :) You guys are in the Johnson County/Olathe area right?

• mskatiep said:
    mskatiep said:
    That would be fun :) You guys are in the Johnson County/Olathe area right?
    Yep!  Although I'm hoping to move a little further south in the next year or two.  But still in JoCo.
  • I would go with the lower rent as well.  We went for a bigger, nicer apartment for more rent than we were spending on our last place thinking location would be worth the extra money.  Nope.  Now we are cutting all kinds of corners to save more money.  I say save while you can.  Good luck!!
  • Well that decision was easy, the house with land rented already. So tomorrow I will see if the other is still available.

Thanks ladies for all the responses!

• I see your down on your options but I was going to vote for the less rent 3 bedroom house anyways!
    Good luck finding something you like.
  • I'm jealous that you can rent a house for that little money.

I need to get the fuck out of newyork!

Id go with house #2.

Lol it seems like little money to someone from newyork I'm sure! But just as housing is less so is the wages everone is paid. I would probably hyperventilate if I moved to newyork and paid those prices even if my salary was significantly higher!

• I'm just here to vote for house #1 :)
  • I'll be looking for my housewarming party invite.  Me and @Smilz4782 can make a road trip with the girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"