June 2013 Moms
Options

I need some work guidance

Quick background is that I've been here just over three years and both people I was hired to support (the people who made me want to work here when I interviewed) have left.  I've been assigned three new people and one of them is just...no.  It's not unlivable but unless she leaves, I'll be stuck supporting her forever unless I'm the one that leaves so I'm honestly thinking that's what I'm going to have to do.

There's a job (same title and level) open in my company in a different department.  I think a former colleague worked with this manager so I reached out to see if he has any intel on the guy's personality and whatnot.  The issue is that I don't know how you interview internally.  It's plainly evident that this isn't a step up and since our manager/employee relationship is new, anyone with half a brain will recognize that as the driving force behind my looking to move.  I feel like the minute I interview (if I do), that manager will tip her off so then if I don't leave with a quickness, my life will get worse.
Formerly known as elmoali :)

Re: I need some work guidance

• Options
    I think the best thing is to be open about your interest in another department to your boss. Especially since you are in a support position, you want to be seen as a team player. Can you play the "new challenges" angle? 3 years is a long time in the same position, so you can say something about exploring options. But the more you get your boss on board the better chances your reputation won't be marred
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    @wasnotwas I wish that angle would work but she's involving me in all kinds of new things that I never had exposure to in the past.  The blunt truth is that she's insane and mean.  I absolutely can't see myself working for her long term but I'm thinking I might have to can thoughts of an internal move but that sucks because I do like it here, I'm paid well, the commute, etc.  :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could you appeal to the new boss? Tell her that you love the company but not the department you are in? That would allow the new boss to navigate the office politics of your move
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options
    So, I just reached out to the boss I had who recently left and she helped me understand the policy vs the expectation.  She's not at all surprised that I'm looking to leave and she knows my current boss very well.  She said current boss is so oblivious to her management style that she honestly doesn't think it will occur to her that she is the issue.  Positive and a negative huh? lol

• Options
    I agree with PP about talking to HR and asking them to keep your current boss out of the loop, they should understand why.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I second what all is said above.  See if you can talk to the new other manager to say you are interested and you want to hear more about the role. Does your previous manager (that you have a good relationship with) know the other manager well - the one in the new role?  Maybe she/he can give you some tips on whether they could handle the office politics if you talked to them.  It's definitely worth a shot if it's either that or leaving in some period of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"