Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Veggies

My 16 month old will ONLY eat veggies from the veggie/fruit pouches! Is this just a LONG faze he's going through, or should I just keep trying to give him veggies before any other food?
JULY 2015 BABY

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Veggies

• I offer veggies, then protein at evey meal. If she doesn't eat those, she gets no carb/fruit. If she is hungry before bed I reoffer dinner.

Also, you need to try a variety of veggies. Their little palats are constantly changing. My kind loved brocolli last summer and hated green beans, this summer it is the opposite.

Also try changing up the way you are serviing the veg. DD will eat asparagus all day long if she has the entire spear and it is still slightly crunchy. She won't touch it if the asparagus is cut up or covered with butter/sauce.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • AS others say, try different veggies and try different preparations.  We don't do pouches.  DS for a while was a fan of greens (kale, spinach, Swiss chard etc). Now he won't touch those with a 10-foot pole.  He doesn't like broccoli either but he'll eat this broccoli/cheddar/rice "pie" that I make.  So I try other veggies - he'll eat tomatoes if in a sauce but not raw tomatoes.  He likes mushrooms.  He likes beets, snap peas, peas, corn, and radish.  And of course, sweet potatoes.  He'll eat bell peppers if cooked in a sauce but not raw.  But I just keep offering and maybe in another month or 2 he'll eat greens again.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • wow that's great information ladies! I need to keep trying. It's weird to think of him enjoying ANY veggies. He normally just throws them on the floor or tries to feed it to me.
    JULY 2015 BABY

CafeMom Tickers

• My son is very similar, and this is a newish thing. He will eat veggies in stuff: this morning he had "muffin frittatas" with broccoli and carrots and scarfed them down. He'll eat spinach in eggs or mac and cheese. He'll eat peas in tuna mac. It just has to be small and soft and tricky!
  • Ditto making veggies in different ways/with spices, etc. DD loves spinach, but only if I sauté it in a boatload of garlic ;-)
  • NDaryaNDarya member
    My 14mo doesn't care about veggies at all. DS will put a piece in his mouth and then spit it out with such a facial expression like mommy gave him some kinda poison. I offer veggies at every meal though, I just keep trying. Sometimes I sneak green beans/broccoli/peas in omelette/mac n cheese, etc and it works, sometimes it doesn't. I miss the time when he used to eat whatever I gave him. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Try serving veggies first or seasoning/spicing them up a little. When we throw a handful of vegetables in some tomato sauce, LO gobbles them up much more quickly than he would plain.
  • Have you tried dips or sauces? My kids love peas or green beans with pesto, broccoli with Parmesan cheese, carrots with hummus and anything with poppyseed dressing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think if it's a different way of eating a vegetable, it's also fun for them.  DS won't eat corn, but he will eat corn on the cob.  You can try cooking a stalk of brussel sprouts and have LO pick them off and eat them that way.  Or cooking a whole artichoke and let LO pick off the leaves and eat the "meat" off them.  Hmmm, trying to think of others........
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"