July 2014 Moms

Summer Bucket List with a Newborn

I thought it would be fun to look ahead, to a time when we are beyond all the aches and pains of being 68 weeks pregnant and the fears of delivery, and think about how we want to spend our time off this summer. 

Here is my bucket list of things to do with my toddler (2.5 y.o) and newborn this summer, once I've recovered enough from delivery to get out and about:
  • local beach days
  • easy walking trails
  • fly a kite
  • crabbing off the dock
  • picnic
  • zoo
  • roast marshmallows 
  • swan boats (we're outside of Boston)
 What's on your list?
image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Summer Bucket List with a Newborn

• Loading the player...
  • No leaky tits in public 
    Heh, heh. I was an overproducer last time around, so if this time is at all the same, I'll be wearing the pads 24/7. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to...

*have a few days at camp with my mom & baby

*lay by the pool

*read a book

*3 company picnics for DH's company

*spend a few days on the coast to celebrate our anniversary & new family!

Hopefully I can squeeze these things in...I already have a sign up going for just grandmothers who want to take a turn babysitting for a few hours here and there so I can run errands and sleep! (This is the first grandchild on my side and the first girl on DH's side)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • tealowl said:
    Be able to pay all my bills on maternity leave and not go into debt.

haha all of this for me too
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • I don't know how I feel about taking a newborn into a swan boat.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • I don't know how I feel about taking a newborn into a swan boat.
    The swan boats are on a pond in the public garden - flat water, very low-key.  https://swanboats.com/  Just about as safe as being on land.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Op you sound like me. As long as this ones birth is as uneventful as the rest we plan on being on the move right away. I so t do well being cooped up in the house so I will be running my other three to their activities. And we plan on spending a. Good amount of time at the pool, park, and zoo.
  • 2lacyblue said:
    @January Bride‌ are you planning to fly to Iowa? I'm already stressing over our christmas trip: Texas to Oregon....

I just really want to use my new stroller so neighborhood walks sound good. I might join a moms group for baby wearing that has meetings and events, but those are the only "activities" on my radar.
    No, just driving.  However, it's going to be probably a 3 hour drive to my parent's house and then a 5 hour drive from there to my grandparent's house, so it will be a long trip (longer with all the stops we'll have to make with a newborn).  It's for my Grandparent's 80th birthdays and 60th wedding anniversary, so even though it's not the best time for a trip, we will try to make it if at all possible since it's so important to them.  We'll have to play it by ear, though.  A lot of my friends have told me that they actually found traveling with a newborn easier than an older baby, so we'll see how it goes in our case.

Good luck with your TX-OR flight! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I just want to still be able to function and remain some contact with the outside world and adults !
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My only goal for this summer is to survive a c-section emotionally and physically and to not stress myself out about finances. That's about it. I aim low. (Or maybe that's aiming high....I guess time will tell!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go to the zoo and see the new Orangutang exhibit and go to the state fair come August, that's my only big plans for the summer. DS was an easy delivery and recovery, so I'm hoping this one will be the same.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I can survive the newborn phase again, I'll be happy. I'm trying to do as much as I can with DS before the baby comes because I'm sure we'll mostly just hang out at home in the kiddie pool after #2 is here. By the time I feel ready to get up and going with both kids, summer will pretty much be over and DS will be in preschool.

• Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited June 2014
    Huahine said:

Seriously, OP? Fly a kite? My summer bucket list can pretty well be summed up as "survive a third c-section and recovery, then go home to survive life with three kids five and under with a DH who works 70 hours a week, breast feeding, laundry, etc. and my 'helpful' mom visiting all too often." Don't get me wrong - I love my life but I think I'll be too busy to fly any kites this summer.

Good luck with that third c-section - I'm looking down the barrel at my second. DS1 was born in January, in New England and we had such trouble getting out of the house. I started to go stir crazy - and that was with just one. I know I'm going to need to have some ideas in the bank when he starts to get antsy and we need to get out to keep him from driving me up the wall.  So yeah, I thought find a field to spread out a blanket for DS2 to snooze on while DS1 ran around with a kite was a pretty good idea.  
    ----------------------quote fail--------
    Good luck with your c/s. My second one was so much easier than the first. I hope your son has fun with his kite.
  • I'm hoping to take full advantage of being home for 12 weeks and then not traveling for 12 after that. I'll take the first month to heal (barring no c-section), but then I'd like to: take zoo trips (we're members and it's close), take Spanish lessons with DS (researching now), and just be able to play with him. I'm such a dud because I work so much.

Then he's in school full time after labor day, so I'll concentrate on napping and working out like a crazy person before I have to go back to work again and not have time for anything :(

• mamakissmamakiss member
    edited June 2014
    -survive
    -have the weddings we attend in august and September go as smoothly as possible
    -hang out a lot at home until SO is done with overtime season (fall)

Come fall, I'm excited for:
    -beach days (it will be 85+ until late October)
    -trips to the mountains or the city
    -more likely, a Santa Cruz day trip every weekend

Living in central California leaves a lot of options >2 hours away so I'm more excited for next summer so the car trip isn't so hellish

Edited bc format
  • -Keep my house clean
    -Successfully continue to nurse my 18 month old while nursing the NB (not at the same time haha)
    -Survive a flight with DH & I have the babes as lap riders
    -Actually enjoy the beach
  • -Stay optimistic
    -Visit my hometown with baby
    -Newborn photos
    -Fall in love with my husband in a whole new way as the father of our child
    -Not get behind on bills
    -Take some walks with lo and puppies

image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards