Preemies
Options

Preemie formula fortification

Our babies are hitting 35 weeks tomorrow and the doctor told us they would like to fortify my breast milk with some fancy formula thingy especially made for preemies.

Now I am not against that or anything, however he asked if we wanted them to use enfamil or similac... I just stared blankly at him...

So! Any opinions? The doctor said he had no recommendations and felt they were about the same. Some help he was :p

Re: Preemie formula fortification

• Options
    Actually.. Gerber Good Start Nourish.   It has been so much easier on both girls.  They switched one to it in the hospital due to gas pains and I switched the other at home for the same reason.  You can get it at Babies-R-Us or online through Amazon.  Enfamil 22 calorie just made both of them hurt so much :(  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    We used Enfamil because they had it in the NICU and sent a bunch home with us that lasted for months.  We used only a tiny bit so it was fine.  When I had to go to the ER and had some tests, we had to use exclusively that formula for about 12 hours, and it made her super constipated.  She was not on fortified formula too long because she grew fast, and then the pedi suggested she use regular Similac when we formula fed.  So when I quit bfing at 9 months, that is what we used and it was fine.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I hope we won't have to use it for long :)
  • Options
    OdebdoOdebdo member
    My little girl did not react well to the fortifier...she ended up with bloody stools, X-rays, cultures etc to eliminate anything else and we removed the fortifier and all problems went away. Both my babies were born at 33 weeks weighing 5 lbs each... So the fortifier was probably not necessary anyways. We removed it from my sons breastmilk as well once the determination was made. Hope all gies well with yours...just wanted to share our experience.
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

• Options
    @Odebdo‌
    Epp! That sounds scary :( thank you for sharing that. Will have to keep a close eye on it when they start.
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    We didn't get a choice, our NICU used only Enfamil, so that is what we used. She used the fortifier in the hospital, and then came home on Enfacare. We never had any problems with it, but when it was time to use regular formula (not high-cal), we found we like Similac better.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I used neosure which I think is enfamil and DS did great, DD had a milk protein sensitivity, so she didn't do so well.  Honestly, either one they pick will likely be fine.  This is a totally normal preemie thing.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We also upped the calories of my BM to 22cal post-discharge using the Neosure (which is Similac). Our insurance covered the Neosure since it was "medically required" -- so definitely be sure to check into that, too. It doesn't sound like it's common to be covered, but a couple of us had luck.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Brummy14‌
    Never thought of the insurance part of it, thanks!

@gault530 & @Pips09‌
    I wish they didn't give me a choice :) now I got that to stress about!
  • Options
    We did similac neosure. DS didn't have any issues but Gerber gave him some problems. Maybe ask some of the nurses which they've seen be easier in their experience? Good luck!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    XathXath member
    We used Similac Neosure.  The hospital gave us 2 cans at discharge and that lasted us through the entire time we needed to fortify.  S didn't have any issues with it.  

My advice whatever you get is to buy small cans.  With fortifying 1/4 tsp per 20mL, we only went through about a half a can in a month, and you're supposed to throw away whatever's left after the can has been open a month.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Great advise, thanks!
  • Options
    DS went home on fortified Similac Neosure. We have to bump it up to 24 cal. He is really gassy because of the extra calories, but it doesn't seem to bother him too much. No spit up/reflux problems.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"