October 2013 Moms
Options

BLW food ideas

We're doing a mix - some purees, some BLW - usually he gets both at a meal. Just hoping to get some ideas on what you ladies are feeding you LOs these days.

Also, do you have a steamer or do you just microwave / cook via stove top your veggies? 

Cute pic for your time
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image

Re: BLW food ideas

• Options
    deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited June 2014
    Oh, his hair.  He is just too cute!

I've been giving dd a little bit of whatever we are eating, as long as it doesn't have honey, isn't unhealthy, and doesn't have nuts in it (for now).  

I tried cheerios last week and DD loved them.  Now she wants to grab and eat all food.  I also tried blueberries as per crunchy's suggestion.  DD also enjoyed those (cut in half).  She loved apricot.  It was small enough for her to hold and the skin isn't as tough as peaches.  Watermelon is good because of the thick bottom for them to hold on to. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Oh, his hair.  He is just too cute!

I've been giving dd a little bit of whatever we are eating, as long as it doesn't have honey, is unhealthy, or have nuts in it (for now).  

I tried cheerios last week and DD loved them.  Now she wants to grab and eat all food.  I also tried blueberries as per crunchy's suggestion.  DD also enjoyed those (cut in half).  She loved apricot.  It was small enough for her to hold and the skin isn't as tough as peaches.  Watermelon is good because of the thick bottom for them to hold on to. 
    This.

We also give avocados and bananas. He LUUUUHHVES bananas.
    july sig challenge: babies are not dogs
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO liked watermelon, but a while after eating, I noticed she still had the weird texture-y stuff in her mouth. More like she gummed the juices out, but kept the pulpy stuff. Not sure if anyone else's babes did that.

I'll follow this bc I'm curious too. My one attempt at steaming in the microwave was a huge fail.
  • Options
    His latest fave is blueberries.  

• Options
    Also, I steam, boil, roast or whatever. Again, usually whatever I'm doing for us I'll do for dd.  If I'm making something that includes a lot of sauce, I'll usually cook the meat, take some out for her and then add the sauce.  When I'm cooking, I don't usually use salt anyway, but I especially try to refrain from giving her anything with salt in it.  I don't mind her having spices.

• Options
    I have been steam veggies and fruit every other day and make enough for 2 days.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DS loves toast with a fruit puree spread on top. I'll cut the toast in half and then into slices. He also loves bananas and green beans. He also likes egg whites and avocado. He is still working on figuring out that he can feed himself instead of waiting for the spoon, so it's a slow/learning process. I've tried putting some purees or yogurt on his tray for him to dip things into... it usually just turns into a huge mess.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Her favorite thing right now is blackberries, she will choose them over any other fruit. She really enjoyed toast with avocado spread on it the other day. Chicken and steak also go over really well. As for cooking I trend to steam on the stove, the only stuff I do in the microwave is to soften apple slices and I put them on a plate with a bit of water for less than a minute.
    July Siggy Challenge: Babies are not Dogs

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Here's a good site for solids and has some recipes that are good.  The link is for the finger food recipes on the site.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfingerfood.htm

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    we just give him our food..whatever we're eating..and then there's likely rice available, too..so if we're not having anything i'm comfortable breaking into smaller pieces..we just let him have only-rice. i'm pretty sure his favorite thing lately has been fistfuls of stir-fry noodles..with chicken, mushrooms, onions, carrots in the mix.

• Options
    Our LO loves scrambled eggs, peaches, finely shredded chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, sautéed green beans, today he got some Mac and cheese noodles that were cut so that he could grab them and put them in his mouth.
  • Options
    LOs new favorite is plums. I just cut them in half, take the seed out and off he goes.

#plumjuiceerrrywhere

• Options
    ncase2ncase2 member
    I've said it a couple times, but DS loves zucchini! He also loves eggs. I usually steam veggies unless we are roasting or grilling already. He typically gets whatever we're eating, unless its pizza or take out, then I give him leftovers. If I'm really lazy, I'll do foil packs in the oven to steam them. 
    Oh, I like the foil packet idea!

Here's a good site for solids and has some recipes that are good.  The link is for the finger food recipes on the site.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyfingerfood.htm
    I'll definitely check this out and probably pin it. 

@Deedee1017 - thanks :) His hair is always crazy. I call it "Harry Potter hair" because no matter what, it won't lay flat!

We used to do a lot of bananas, but our pedi had us cut down because he was getting constipated and that was contributing to his spit-up problems. I tried watermelon but he wasn't a fan - maybe I'll try it again in a few weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options
    I forgot to mention dd loves little white cannelini beans. Great to work on the pincer reflex too.

• Options
    We do a mix as well, usually strawberries, watermelon, pineapple, mangos, avocado, cucumber, roast chicken, and recently toast. For steaming veggies it's usually baby carrots or broccoli and I just take a strainer with hooks and rest it on the pot with the veggies in it above the water with the lid on top and let it steam like that. I'd never steamed anything before and found it worked really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"