3rd Trimester
Options

Maybe I'm overthinking this... baby names

Hi,

My husband and I picked our son's name in the first trimester. We decided to keep it private for two reasons 1) it's nice to keep something to yourself 2) we picked something "different" and we didn't want to hear opinions from well-meaning relatives.

Today, my husband was making small talk with a mom-to-be at our church. By some freak chance, she's giving her son the same name. We don't really know her or her husband. We're FB friends bc we go to the same church. She seems really nice and I don't want her to think we copied. I'm due two months before her so I'm not sure if I should let it go or send her a "hey, I'm not crazy but I thought you'd want to know" message on FB. Thoughts?

Re: Maybe I'm overthinking this... baby names

• Options
    Lucky you're due first! I'd send her a quick message saying you heard you were going to have the same name, what a co-incidence etc. And let her figure out by herself if she still wants to use it when her son is born. 
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree. Let her know that you and DH were keeping it private, but wanted to give her a heads up so that she didn't think you copied!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    She doesn't need a special message or information. She likely won't change her pick anyway and you wanted to keep this to yourselves. If she was a close friend, I might mention it. You're fine. Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    I'd mention it and say something like you both have good taste in picking names.
  • Options
    My gut tells me to let it go and move on. I think sending her a note will make her obsess about it. I'm due almost two months before her so if she really wants to change the name, she has time.
  • Options
    amy006amy006 member
    Yeah I probably wouldn't even say anything. It's not "her" name, it's "a" name and it doesn't belong to any one person. Since you're not even that close, I wouldn't worry about it. If she says something to you or about you after your baby is born, then maybe explain you picked the name early and wanted to keep it to yourselves but don't mind if she uses it too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    your kid, you name them what you want and don't worry about it.  They aren't related to you.  Move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"