Natural Birth
Options

Natural Birth Friendly Hospitals/OBGYN

Hello ladies! I'm mostly a lurker on this board because I'm not yet pregnant. My DH and I are TTC beginning this cycle. I've seen you talk about how your hospitals and doctors are natural birth friendly. I'm just curious how you found this out. I've been going to my OBGYN since I was 21 (I'm 30) and I really like them. Did you ask your OB about their thoughts on natural births? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Natural Birth Friendly Hospitals/OBGYN

• Options
    I had been going to the same OB for years and when I got pg I told him I planned to go natural. He said great, we are here to give you the birth you want. His wife went natural and they used the Bradley method, he and the CNM both recommended taking those classes over anything the hospital offered. We went over my birth plan and it was all standard practice for them. No hep lock, intermittent monitoring, alternative pushing positions, bonding time postpartum, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! My doctor's office now has a CNM in the office as well. I'm happy about that. I've not talked to the main doctor in the practice yet (I have an annual visit coming up). I will ask him if they support natural birth plans. Thanks again!

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would start off by asking specific questions.  Something along the lines of, "Do you support natural childbirth?" is vague and open to wide interpretations as to what that terminology even  means.  Heck, even if you ask this board what 'natural birth' means you will get varying answers.  More specific questions might include:
    What is the c-section/epi rate?
    What forms of natural pain relief does the hospital offer? (tubs, birthing balls, hot shower, etc)
    What kind of monitoring is offered?
    If my EDD comes and goes, when is induction recommended?
    What are your thoughts on a doula?
    Do you encourage freedom of movement and eating/drinking?

Just some ideas of questions you might ask, I think that sometimes it's not what they say but how they say it.  I think for me, if I were to bring up the idea of a med-free birth with my provider and they said something like, "We will support you in whatever you choose, but keep an open mind the plan can always change, you might decide an epi is the way to go when those contractions start."  I would take that as a red flag.  

• Options
    By the way, I absolutely love your siggy pic!  I had a little Westie, she passed away right before her 17th birthday and was just the best little dog in the world :)
  • Options
    JNCPro3130JNCPro3130 member
    edited June 2014
    sschwege said:
    I would start off by asking specific questions.  Something along the lines of, "Do you support natural childbirth?" is vague and open to wide interpretations as to what that terminology even  means.  Heck, even if you ask this board what 'natural birth' means you will get varying answers.  More specific questions might include:
    What forms of natural pain relief does the hospital offer? (tubs, birthing balls, hot shower, etc)

Just some ideas of questions you might ask, I think that sometimes it's not what they say but how they say it.  I think for me, if I were to bring up the idea of a med-free birth with my provider and they said something like, "We will support you in whatever you choose, but keep an open mind the plan can always change, you might decide an epi is the way to go when those contractions start."  I would take that as a red flag.  

@sschwege, thank you so much! That's perfect! I've heard the hospital I would be delivering at is one of the best, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are natural birth friendly. When I first brought up TTC, I asked my OB if I should chart my cycles. He told me no because it just adds stress to the process. I decided charting is best for me because I don't have to guess at ovulation and what's going on with my body. Do you think his stance on charting is a red flag, or is that just a matter of opinion? Thank you for your post!
    Thanks! I love my westie! She is such a sweet girl! Everyone loves her and she's such a cuddler. She does think she's the princess of our house, but that's okay. ;)

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    sschwege said:

@sschwege, thank you so much! That's perfect! I've heard the hospital I would be delivering at is one of the best, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are natural birth friendly. When I first brought up TTC, I asked my OB if I should chart my cycles. He told me no because it just adds stress to the process. I decided charting is best for me because I don't have to guess at ovulation and what's going on with my body. Do you think his stance on charting is a red flag, or is that just a matter of opinion? Thank you for your post!
    Thanks! I love my westie! She is such a sweet girl! Everyone loves her and she's such a cuddler. She does think she's the princess of our house, but that's okay. ;)
    The charting response could be a sign of a less than supportive doc, but I wouldn't put it in the 'red flag' category.  Maybe he's a numbers guy and thinking, "Whether she charts or not, chances are she will be pregnant in a year, why bother worrying about charting?"  Perhaps he is sensitive to the effect stress can have on the body, which would hopefully mean he will be just as sensitive in the delivery room.  Or maybe he likes things his way and doesn't want patients deviating from his formula, in which case of course, that would be a red flag.  Time will tell!

For what it's worth I don't agree with your doctor and it doesn't sound like you do either.  I charted with both of mine and plan to again when we try for our third, I think it gives you so much valuable information and I felt more in touch with my body by charting.   
  • Options
    I use a different OB for well woman care than I do for birth b/c my well woman care one that I've been seeing for almost a decade isn't natural birth friendly enough for me.  When I have a baby I just have them update my chart with the birth info :).

I asked them questions and also asked quesitons of the hospital and birth educators in the area.  Policies can vary WIDELY and it's wise to be informed in advance.
  • Options
    This is something that I am investigating as well as I really like my Dr (she is a primary care physician who also provides OB care then I deliver with the hospital OB team) but really want a natural birth and to keep my options open. I too have heard that my hospital is one of the best when it comes to low intervention one of the lowest C-Section rates in the country, etc. I called and spoke to a nurse (that's as far as I've gone so far) and she told me that they are very much in support of it, will not mention pain relief unless I ask for it, are 'evidence-based' meaning that since there isn't any scientific proof that intervention helps delivery they don't force it, will allow intermitante monitoring as well as the option to labor in a birthing tub to manage the pain. These are all just a few starters that are starting to make me feel more comfortable about sticking with my current Dr. but I would definitely recommend doing your research for both. I'm going to meet with both a midwife group as well as the OB to specifically go over these topics and then just see which made me feel the most confident/comfortable. 
  • Options
    I'd predict that most practices with cnmw on staff are natural friendly. The book natural hospital birth was very helpful to us as well with ds1.
    Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"