Nebraska Babies
Options

Birth center vs. hospital vs. home birth?

So I have been debating which way to go- birth center, home birth, or hospital for my delivery.

Birth center so far seems to be the most expensive at $4500 (they don't take my insurance), home birth $3500 (also no insurance coverage). I am meeting with hospital rep this week to find out the cost there (they do accept my insurance).

I want a 100% natural birth (no IV, no epidural, no pitocin, no episiotomy, no artificial rupture of membranes, etc.). The hospital "requires" an IV but I read online blogs that you can refuse (but I don't know if they might turn around and refuse to take care of me by refusing the IV). Home birth and birth centers aim for totally natural births.

Added to the problem in deciding- my husband and I are currently house hunting and haven't decided if we are going to buy in Omaha (where attended home births are illegal) or Council Bluffs in Iowa (where attended home births are legal). I pretty much have to decide on a provider before knowing which state we will be living in because most providers won't accept transfer patients after the middle of second trimester (I am currently 11 weeks pregnant).

Also of note is that the birth center is not near the hospitals that are in-network with my insurance should I require urgent care.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Re: Birth center vs. hospital vs. home birth?

• Options
    I am also aiming for an all-natural birth experience and I will be doing so in a hospital.  I am in the medical field (ultrasound tech), so I understand all sides of the "birth debate" but for me, it was calming to know that IF something were to go wrong, a hospital would have the ability to take care of myself and my child in a very rapid manner.  I will be delivering at Lakeside and I have been in touch with many OB nurses there.  All of them seem very supportive of the "no intervention" method and seem very interested in giving me the birth I 'want" if at all possible.  

Also, as to your concern about the IV, I believe that hospitals are indeed required to start an IV "lock" upon admission and I will be allowing this.  Basically, they start an IV, only gaining access to your vein, but not giving you anything through it (including saline) unless you ask for it.  The reason they do this is in case of an emergency, they would already have a line to administer life-saving treatment rather than struggle to find a vein IF you should need it.  In fact, in my line of work/experience, it is ILLEGAL for hospitals to give you any medication including saline without your consent (or your medical contact if you were incapacitated).  I hope this helps you in your decision, but I cannot stress enough how every woman must make this decision for themselves...it's almost the toughest decision you make!!
  • Options
    WynWyn member
    When I delivered at UNMC I was not required to have an IV lock. Dr Monte Mathews there was very support of my natural birth choices.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I delivered at BMC with my son(I transferred from the birthing center). It was not my fav, but I seemed to get the crappiest luck when it came to how things went down. 
    .Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarried twins from our first IUI cycle. D&C on August 14th, 2014
    Second IUI cycle: BFP
    Beta #1 (13dpiui): 74 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 505 Beta #3 (18dpiui): 1205
    First Ultrasound- 6w2d 110BPM! Our baby has a heartbeat!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"