May 2014 Moms
Options

Starving formula baby

So yes I will call my pediatrician Monday but my LO acts like he is starving randomly the last couple of days. This evening especially. He was 9.2 when born and 9.14 at his 2 week appt and he continuously is a little Buddha baby. Per pediatrician almost 3 weeks ago he said to make a 6 oz bottle. Just past few days he's finished those. He normally eats every 2.5-3 hrs during day and about every 4 at night.
Past 48 hrs he's been ravenous. Don't know what he weighs currently. I'm a nurse and will have DH bring him by my work on Monday (my first day back) to weigh on digital scales) but he's crying like crazy baby before even 2 hours.
I'm already having friends tell me put cereal in bottle. I would never do this without pediatrician ok but jugs wondering if anyone else has big baby On formula going through same thing. He was sometimes taking 5-6 ozs and sometimes taking 4. But today he starving acting. I don't want to over feed but he's sucking the air. Thanks in advance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Starving formula baby

• Options
    I have to be honest....I didn't read all if that. I'm nursing with one hand, using my phone in the other and trying to be still through a crazy episode of RLS.
    How old is LO now?....could it be a growth spurt? I know you do formula, and it's a blit different, but during a growth spurt my Dd would nurse until my boobs fell off if I would let her.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

My Hooligans.....Samuel Brice-Fritzgerald (6/30/10) and Payton Elizabeth (7/23/08)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

FEB SIGGY CHALLENGE
    favorite wedding picture
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    He's almost 6 weeks old. In just feel like we have had more "growth spurts" than normal. But it's not like colic crying either.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS goes through this and i up his bottle amount or sometimes he just needs a bit of a filler between meals (like 2 oz) for a growth spurt.
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    Sounds like its probably a growth spurt. DS was doing that same type of thing around 6 weeks and then totally reverted to only taking 3 oz or so at a feed. I'd try offering an 8oz bottle and see how much he is drinking. As long as he isn't spitting up or acting like he is in pain I don't think it would be a problem.
    image    image

• Options
    DS had a wicked 6 wk growth spurt. I remember him taking a 5 oz bottle as often as every hour and a half. He had something like 45 oz total on the peak day.

6 oz does sound like a lot for one bottle, but I would never withhold food from a hungry baby, so if he's demanding it and not spitting up afterward, I say keep giving him what he asks for. Especially if your pedi has already approved.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I would not advise adong cereal to bottle, even if pedi okays it. Their digestive systems are not designed to handle it, and it is essentially the same as feeding them cardboard to fill them. Talk to a pediatric nutritionist.

Also sounds like growth spurt. The 6-weeker is craaaazy. We had what I thought was a spurt at 5 weeks, but it was actually just a leap. He's going through the 6 weeker now and fed at 9, took a 5 oz BM bottle at 10, and fed again at 10.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"