August 2013 Moms

worst advice

What is the worst advice or question you've been given about your LO?
Did you smile and nod or set the record straight?

Re: worst advice

• Some of the worst advice I was given by a friend was to add honey to every puree. I was asking her if her LO liked purees straight away and was told yes as soon as honey was added. :s
    I just smiled and nodded. Her LO is over 3 now. If she ever has another child then I'll send her an article and tell her about the dangers of giving infants honey.
  • To stop co-sleeping because I was going to ruin her forever. At 3m old, I was told add cereal to the bottles to get her to sleep better.

Here we are, 10m old, she sleeps in her crib alone just fine, and sleeps all night without the need for cereal...Thanks though

• Loading the player...
  • PB102012PB102012 member
    edited June 2014
    I got the "cereal in her bottle will help her sleep...." A lot. I was also told once that babies need help falling asleep. Um, thanks?

For the longest time I smiled and nodded, then I decided that sometimes it's ok to respond even though it will upset some people. I quickly realized the people dishing out so much advice weren't very good friends to begin with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Let her cry. It's the only exercise babies get.

Um no thanks fil.
  • nnikki10 said:

Let her cry. It's the only exercise babies get.

Um no thanks fil.

Never heard that one before.... Nice!!

• Let her cry BC they have to build up their lung muscles. (Uh...what?) <--- I def corrected people on this.

Start solids or formula at night so she sleeps longer. (No.) <--- told people off for this BC we were exclusively bfing and she was only 3 months old

• ELauren88 said:

Let her cry BC they have to build up their lung muscles. (Uh...what?) <--- I def corrected people on this.

Start solids or formula at night so she sleeps longer. (No.) <--- told people off for this BC we were exclusively bfing and she was only 3 months old</p>

My mom tried to tell me that one about the lungs! I said, no mom. We don't let him cry. Ever. Smh
  • ELauren88 said:
    Let her cry BC they have to build up their lung muscles. (Uh...what?) <--- I def corrected people on this. Start solids or formula at night so she sleeps longer. (No.) <--- told people off for this BC we were exclusively bfing and she was only 3 months old

I have heard that one too.... it makes my heart hurt to think about just listening to LO cry.... no freaking way.

• I've been pretty lucky in the bad advice department from family & friends.

It wasn't necessarily advice, but a fashion tip from my old lady neighbor to: "make sure to get her some bonnets. These days people use those ridiculous big bows, they're so tacky"
    To which my husband replied (later to me) "bonnets? What is this, little house on the prairie?"

Thanks old lady...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know about bad advice, just a lot of misinformation about twins, breastfeeding, and breast feeding twins. Haha.

• Giving water to a newborn in case he's thirsty rather than hungry
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just heard this winner,

You and your bf should get married so your ds has a model of a healthy relationship. Um what? Pretty sure bf and i dont have to get married for that.

Also this one,
    If you let him cosleep with you now hell be sleeping in bed with you till he goes to college. HAHAHAHAHA i doubt that
  • MIL tried to give me SO many alternatives to BLW (well we gave our kids pureed foods and they're just fine!)  She was always so terrified he'd choke and had zero trust in our parenting abilities.  It took like 5 times of him eating in front of her for her to realize he's just fine.
    I got this from my mom A LOT!  It was frustrated but I told her he's fine and ignored the rest. 

• "If you don't let her just lay there and cry she'll never learn to put herself to sleep/sleep alone."

It took nearly 3 years but DD1 did figure it out all on her own. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was told to put mash potatoes in her bottle.
    I also have a co worker that continues to tell me that LO will never learn how to put herself to sleep if I don't CIO and her son was sleeping through the night at 3 months because she let him CIO. LO just started sleeping more than 3 hour increments so I'm exhausted and about to get violent with one more accusation of me doing something wrong for not CIO. On a positive note we got 8.5 hours last night
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"