May 2012 Moms
Options

Hey Littleredfish!!!

@littleredfish How's that finger of yours doing now a days?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hey Littleredfish!!!

• Options
    Was wondering that too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    Not too bad. In the thread below about little things you do for yourself I added a side pic of the finger nail and you can see that it grows kind of deformed now. I'm able to bend the bottom joint almost all the way down but it's still a little stiff. The top joint I don't think I'll ever be able to bend again (that's the one that broke). It's left at a slight 20 degree angle droop, but the doctor said even if they fuse the joint in the future (due to likely arthritis) that they'd leave it at a slight angle like that so when I go to pick up or grasp things, it's more useful. It was a little hard to get used to at first like that because even just that bit my brain wasn't used to, and it would catch on things, but it's better now. The sensation overall is still weird; it feels like if you sat on your hand and it went to sleep, but just in that one finger. That also makes it kind of sensitive and sometimes mildly painful if I hit it or bend it unexpectedly. The skin is still new skin and the scar is still fresh so the finger is noticeable, but I think over time you'd have to really look to notice and it would probably be the finger droop that gives it away. At least it's still attached!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad it's getting better and really glad you didn't lose the finger.

• Options
    Yeah, me too. My doctor was your typical overly egotistical surgeon who liked to keep reminding me that my infection and break was so bad it was only by his talents that my hand was saved. I'd have rolled my eyes a little harder but I did Google him and if I had to trust my hand to an egotistical surgeon with a god complex, it probably would have been him. The only part of my hand that is kind of messed up is the jumble of nerve endings causing the pain, but that's on the palm side of the finger and that was done by a resident in the moment of emergency when my finger was going to blow before the surgeon could get out of a surgery he was already in. In all I think it's better than no finger. The things that come from simple accidents.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    But you can know that, even though the Ego Doctor helped facilitate, it's actually the amazing human body that does the healing. The positive thing is, we humans are adaptable and can learn new ways of doing things when things change. My father had spontaneously gone blind in one eye a few years back. Once he got passed the emotional sadness of this, he learned to adapt and do things without depth perception. He can even laugh at himself now when he misses the cup when pouring water or takes a few tries to grasp something he's reaching for. Hope the pain keeps subsiding and you can that your new finger actually has magical powers or something!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"