Multiples
Options

Preemie Size Diapers

Hi!
We just had twins at 27 weeks, they're a month old now and we have about a month or so left in the NICU. Our shower was last week and we got a ton of diapers in all sizes, but none in preemie. We just want to be prepared for the day the doc says they can come home, how many preemie diapers did any of you use? They won't be released until they average 5 pounds so ideally they should transition to Newborn soon...but with two, we will probably go through the Preemie Size diapers as well. Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Preemie Size Diapers

• Options
    I would skip preemie. My girls were 5lbs when they left the hospital, we took the preemie diapers they have us, but then switched to newborn when we had to buy our own.

TTC #1 since December 2009
    IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
    7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
    It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
    FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
    FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
    Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
    IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
    Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
    Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

• Options
    We used preemie diapers for about a week when two of our 27 weekers came home. We had a couple days notice before the babies came home so you can probably pick some up if you need them closer to the time they are discharged.
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Granted, usually the smaller the diaper sizes, the more diapers in the box for the same price. My DH calls me ridiculously frugal. I don't know what weight they max out at though?
  • Options
    Preemie only come is small packs. Mine came home all 4-5lbs they were in preemie around a 3-4 weeks I think.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    By the time they let my 26 weekers come home, they were almost to size 1.  You won't believe how much the NICU can pack on them in just a month.  :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My girls were born 4'3 and 4'7. They went home under 5lbs. They used newborn for one month and now are in size 1.

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Options
    My girls came home at 4 lbs  9 oz. and 4 lbs 11 oz. - we have consistently been using newborn size (in both Huggies and Pampers).  Now that one of the girls is 8 lbs 10 oz. we have to stick to Huggies newborn size, since the Pampers seem too small for her marshmallow legs :)  Newborn size has been our size since we brought them home 7 weeks ago.  Though, size 1 is in sight for our champion eater/twin B.  I would caution you to buy too many of one brand...one of our girls couldn't use Pampers because something in those diapers made her bottom red.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! This is very helpful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    None - we were discharged around our due date, and the girls were 6-7lbs by then, and squarely in NB diapers.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    All of my kids were in the 5lb range and I didn't really use preemie diapers. Ironically, I think I went through one pack of preemie diapers for my singleton (FT at 37w) and none for the twins (34w).

You can fold down the top. I wouldn't overly worry.

• Options
    My boys were born at 5lbs 8oz and 5lbs 15oz - they both lost weight in the hospital (Jamie came home at only 4lbs 12oz) - we only used one pack of preemie diapers and then swapped over to newborn. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    Often if preemie are needed NICU will supply you and often give you kits of take home stuff before discharge. The nurses will take good care of that dept amongst all the other stuff they do. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about preemie diapers at all. My twins were 25 weekers born in January weighing 1lb 9oz & 1lb 15oz. By the time DD came home (a month ago) she already weighed 7.5lbs. DS finally came home last week weighing 9lbs. If by some chance your twins are still small enough that they really need them when they come home, you can send someone out to pick up a couple packs. Odds are though that you'll be able to skip straight to newborn or even 1s.
  • Options
    My 33 weekers were 4lb and 4lb 10oz when released from hospital at 35+3. We went through about 6 packs of preemie diapers. My larger twin moved into newborn about a week before her sister.
  • Options
    Girls came home 2 days after their due date, so we did not need preemie diapers at home. To tell you the truth, I think they had even advanced from NB and were in size 1 by then!
    Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Came home at about 4 and a half pounds, we used preemies for about 2 weeks, and nb for about 3 weeks after that, then to my shock had to move to size 1s. Didn't realize they would move through them that fast! Now they are both in size 2. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board