Trouble TTC
Options

I'm new to all of this, so please be kind....

Hi all,

I am new to all of this so if you could, please choose your words wisely. I'm more senstive about this now after yesterdays doctors appointment. My husband and I have been TTC for 14 months now. Now, we may not time every month on the dot, but unprotected & (sorry if its TMI) putting semen inside me for that long. We have been married for almost 2 years. We have dated since we were 17. Very rarely did we have protected sex so I am surprised we never had an oops. Now the baby talk is on board and we are ready. Althought for 14 months nothing has happened. I have never had any kind of infection, my paps have always came back fine, I have never ever been pregnant, my husband hasnt ever gotten a girl pregnant (that i know of) and my periods are regular. Probably every 28 - 30 days. My doctor ordered me some blood work to test my hormones. TSH, T4, Protesterone, and Gulcose. I guess we were go from there. I am just wanting to know other womens experience with infertility. My insurance does not cover and I heard it can be expensive. Also, after my blood work is back. My doctor wants to have my husbands sperm tested first. but.... another issue. I have gained 50 lbs in 4 years. My BMI is 33 and my doctor had a student shadowing him yesterday and she told me with inferility, weight gain is a big issue and she considering over 30 BMI to be obese. I think is CRAP! but loosing weight needs to be done for me anyways. I met my husband and eat happily every after I was not a fan of that student. She apologized to me later. but man, that got to me. I guess she has a lot more to learn..?

Should we go ahead and do this or leave this in Gods hands? Prayers helps, I know. I'm definitley a prayer warrior.

Please be kind. This is hard for me to process. I feel we are at a right time in our lives, though we are young (26) we want a baby so badly...

Thanks!

TTC April 2013:Married 9-22-12:Dating 9-23-06

ME: 25 - DH: 26 - 2 Fur Babies - Jude(4) & Bentley (5)

6-18-14 - OB ordered blood work (Glucose/TSH/T4/Progesterone)

Was told not to do until AF came. Day 32

Re: I'm new to all of this, so please be kind....

• Options

Welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here.....wow what a rude student. I mean I think we all know if we need to lose weight or not. Thank you for point out that out Captain Obvious

:-B

I would definitely wait to see what the test results uncover before making a final decision because there are certain diagnoses where medical intervention will be necessary in order for you to get pregnant. Good luck with your testing!

Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

• Options

Thank you! Yeah, the nurses asked me if it would be okay if she was going to be in the room. I said sure, she needs to learn. Little did I know she was going to frickin examine me. Not that the OB is awesome anyways... Sweesh! Lol

My doctor told me to call him after I get my period, which I am due for right now, any minute. I actually feel it coming on so just start already. He would order the blood work after that. If I dont get my period, well duh haha

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome and best of luck. This board is very supportive and not typically snarky, so don't worry! We are all awesome and nice :) Sorry you have to be here, but hopefully it won't be for long.
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck! It seems you are working with an OB. Before moving forward with treatment, I super, highly recommend making an appt with an RE.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• Options
    Welcome, I'm sorry you find yourself here, but it's a good place to learn and for support.  

That student needs a lesson in bedside manners (or a throat punch)

It sounds like you are on the right path with bloodwork and a SA, they are all good jumping points.  

I hope your stay here isn't long. 

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Options
    Welcome to the board! I am a relative newbie here but so far I have been continually impressed with the knowledge and compassion displayed here. I am completely OOP for everything so I understand the stress of costs, but I have noticed such a difference in care from the RE that I would recommend considering seeing one. Good luck!!

Missed M/C natural cycle 10/2013

DX PCOS 3/2014

2 cycles Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + TI - no response stair-stepped to Clomid 75 mg + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Clomid 50 mg + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + TI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Folistim + Ovidrel + IUI

1 cycle Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim  - no response, repeated Letrozole 7.5 mg + 150 mg Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI = success! 12/2014

Beta 1 - 15 dpiui, 324, Beta 2 - 17 dpiui 750. Twins!!

My Blog: pcosandpizza.blogspot.com

• Options
    I'm sorry about that insensitive person with a lot to learn. It sounds like she really overstated the case for weight affecting fertility.  Woman of all shapes and sizes get pregnant every day, and IF affects woman of all shapes and sizes as well.  It sounds like you are on the right path starting with the bloodwork and SA.  Please consider seeing an RE as I'm sure you will find they have better and more specialized knowledge than an OB. I'm sure you will get some answers and a plan and best of luck to you!

ME:      36, on BC since 1996,  irregular periods.   HUBS:      37, healthy

2001—meet.  2005—marry.  2006—Furbaby is born. 

On BC till end of 2009.  2010 NTNP.   

New Year’s Eve 2010—BFP?! January 13, 2011—early loss, HCG peaked at 324, no D&C needed.

+++++

Feb 2011-Nov 2012—NTNP 

Dec 2012 --present (TTC 20 months) Not even a hint of a BFP

Me:  BW, U/S, HSG, HSN normal.  AMH 2.33.  Hubs: SA normal 

+++++

April 2014--IUI #1 Clomid 100 4-8 Follistim 150 9-14, 5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 5/5 1100, BFN 

May 2014 ---IUI#2 Clomid 100 3-7 Follistim 150 8-13, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 6/6 547, BFN

June 2014--IUI#3 Follistim 150/225 3-15, 3-5 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 7/11 1450, BFN

July 2014--IUI#4 Follistim 225 2-12, 3 mature follies at trigger, Peak E2 8/12 841, BFN

Breaking till after Christmas, then IVF...taking 4000 mgs daily Inositol and Melatonin 3mg

• Options
    karlaluchannekarlaluchanne member
    edited June 2014

You ladies have been super helpful! Its amazing how much a stranger can make you feel better about an important part of your life. I am going to start eating better and excercising more. I use to exercise a lot! But yes it is hard to come to terms with something like this. I told my OB that I never considered being in this position in my life. I agree with the blood work and semem anaylis. That is good steps to take and we are going to do that and get ourselves healthier at the same time. I am thinking about buying an ovulation kit too. Ive only tried it once and it didnt work maybe one more time. Though, I havent started my period yet. Its coming, I can feel it. but I wish it would just come, hurry up and go away if it's really going to come lol.

Another comment about the student.

She asked what I do for a living. I work for a child protective service agency as an investigator.. Her comment back, oh that must be really hard for you to work there since you want a baby and all and you see parents mistreats their children everyday (which made me boo hoo again) but Umm, yes stupid. but I'm pretty sure its hard for everyone, whether you have children or not LOL

• Options
    I thought I would chime in on the financial aspect of fertility. We did all of our work with a RE and had my blood work done, a ultrasound so see how everything looked, and the semen analysis and our initial bill for all of this was around $1250.00. I'm in NM so of course this will be different everywhere. Insurance didn't pay for anything! That was they didn't pay for that initial testing but once I was officially diagnosed with infertility and they got the reports then I was "accepted" and they have been on board with paying on my fertility moving forward. Each visit to the RE after all the testing ran us around $425 a visit. It's been TOTALLY worth it!!
        BFP: 2/24/14 | EDD: 10/22/14 (triplets) 
    US (with RE) 3/24/2014 (two healthy HB), US (with OB) 3/31/2014 (three healthy heartbeats)

US (with RE) 4/7/14 No Heartbeats :(  | D&C 4/8/14
    BFP#2: 10/22/14 | (beta  #1 75, beta # 2 219) | EDD 7/3/15 ~*Please be our RAINBOW*~
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T

• Options
    KT416KT416 member

Welcome to the board!

Sounds the student definitely needs to work on her bedside manner! Hopefully she won't be there in the future!

My RE asked me if a student could watch my HSG (I was at a teaching hospital, so said okay), but little did I know there was more than one, so I had so many people in my lower business!

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!! You have nothing to worry about these ladies are all amazing and very informative.  I am rather new to the IF diagnosis but I can share with you what we have done so far.  
    Consult to discuss, issues and concerns. They did blood work and a UA, pelvic U/s and sent me for the HSG.
    Call the day I started my period ( CD1)
    Go on on CD3 for baseline testing. - Blood work and a U/S to check eggs.  WARNING this is an internal u/s ( take out tampon
    Once all my test results came back we went back for a consult and he told us our options. 

I wish you the best of luck! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since March 2014, but was NTNP since 2007.
    Found out in May I have 2 blocked tubes.
    Waiting too see my doctor again to decide next steps. 

• Options
    mindaamindaa member
    It bugs me to hear about doctor's making IF patients feel so bad about their weight, when there are so many different factors involved.  I'm a friggin' vegetarian runner who's never been overweight, and I've been told to exercise less and eat more meat. So please don't beat yourself up.

How far to go in pursuing treatments is a very personal decision... there are frequent threads on this board that discuss the rationale behind different directions. Also, pursuing treatment is not necessarily "opposite" of keeping things in God's hands. You can do both :) 

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options

Welcome! I am also new (been here less than a month) and the ladies on here have been nothing but supportive. If you read the pinned post for newbies it will give you some hints. Also, if you go to the Trying to Get Pregnant (TTGP) board they have a really helpful post about all the abbreviations you will see on here. DH = Darling Husband, SA=Semen Analysis, etc

It sounds like your OB has a good idea of initial testing but you might want to consider seeing a RE (reproductive endocrinologist) as they specialize in this kind of stuff. And I agree, that student was really rude. I am in the same BMI zone as you and my OB never mentioned it to me.

But here's to hoping your stay is short and sweet and you get that BFP (Big Freaking Positive!!!) soon! Good luck and baby dust!

Me: 24  DH: 26

Sept 2012 - Married Love of My Life

AO, possible PCOS

TTC for 15 months - Success!!!

Due Date: May 6, 2015

DS induced April 27, 2015 - Hypertension

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mindaa: Yep, I was told to exercise less too (I do powerlifting and jujutsu).

OP: BMI was originally conceived as a measure of a population's health based on height and weight. It is only valid for large groups. Somehow it got rolled into personal medicine. Lab tests and u/s for the basics is a good place to start. My PCOS only showed up on the ultrasound.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • Options
    I know this is very random and I cannot figure it out. How do you add pictures and whatnot to your posts?

• Options
    Welcome!  I'm sorry you find your self here, but I think you'll find that we are a great community ( although I am biased;)  ).  I also never thought I'd be TCC nearly 18 months after we cracked open that first bottle of wine and sad lets do this.  You have found a great place where we can all relate to the emotional struggles that goes with IF.  Also that med student needs some serious bedside manner reform!

I am going to echo some PP's and also encourage you to find an RE if you decide to pursue treatment.  They are MUCH more knowledgeable about interpreting test results and treating you properly.  I also have no IF insurance coverage other than testing.  We met with our insurance before we ever began testing, and then the RE clinic actually talked to our insurance company and both told us no treatment coverage.  It is worth everything we spend though, and actually they have been able to code my ultrasounds in a way that isn't IF related so most of them I have just had to pay my copay (this is another reason seeing an RE is the best way to go). 

Good luck with all of your testing and I hope your stay with us is short and sweet!

Me (29): Hashimoto's, CD3/7DPO bloodwork & ultrasound normal, HSG & SHG(x2) all clear
    DH (29): SA Perfect
    TTC Since Jan '13, First RE Appt Jan '14
    DX: Unspecified Ovarian Dysfunction, Long Cycles
    May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
    Apr '14:  50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #1=BFP,  Natural M/C 6.5wks
    Aug '14: 50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #2=BFN
    Oct '14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI#3 =BFN
    Nov 14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI#4=slow response, bad lining, cancelled
    FU with RE, more bloodwork: Anticardiolipin +
    Dec 14: 5mg Letrozole+baby aspirin +ovidrel + B2B IUI#4.1=BFFN
    Jan '15: 5mg Letrozole +baby aspirin + ovidrel +B2B IUI #5= BFP!! 
    Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

• Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry you find yourself here though, and I hope your stay will be short! :)

I'm sorry you are experiencing such a shock. Especially as a younger woman - no one expects to have IF!

Don't worry about snark from this board - as long as you don't go on and on about your dozen children whom you conceived before you even ovulated, lol.

I'm not sure about using The Bump on a mobile device, but on my laptop, if you click the little head and shoulders silhouette under the word Community on the top right, then choose Account Options, and then click Signature Settings toward the left, you can add rich test. To add a photo, you need to first save it with a URL address using a site like Photo Bucket (I got an account there for the purpose) and then there's an icon to add a photo.

It sucks that IF testing is so expensive and not covered well. I suggest asking your RE's office for a price list so you can get some sort of idea about what the upcoming expenses may be (we needed some time to normalize it, but after a while it just feels like a normal albeit expensive part of life, like the mortgage or something). We definitely make all our financial plans around the possibility of IVF now.

As far as whether to move ahead of leave it "in God's hands"...well first of all I believe my whole life is in God's hands anyways, but of course you and your DH can pray for guidance. What we realized (after waiting a looooong time) was that we needed to take everything one step at a time - praying for guidance along the way and just seeing what we felt at peace with. The medical condition of infertility can be diagnosed because you've had over 12 months of regular, unprotected intercourse (not necessary for it to be perfectly timed - this is just normal regular sexual activity!).

As far as OPKs - the generalized instructions to test 3 days around day 14 actually don't apply to a significant number of women. You may find more success by using one or two per day (I recommend the really cheap ones off Amazon for this!) starting by day 10 and continuing until you see a positive. The first time you might want to continue until you see the positive fade after a day or two just to get an idea how your body works. At the same time, the only way to prove you really ovulated and didn't just start to get the hormone LH is to take your BBT temps right after waking, same time each morning, and see a sustained thermal shift. Actually, trying this (if it's not too stressful - for me it makes me feel empowered and like I'm doing something, that's totally free, to help) can be helpful for your RE to see how your cycle is. 

It's a scary, unknown, and expensive journey - but I hope yours is short. And we are all here for each other. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Welcome. I am sorry you have to be here. I hope that bw and SA can provide y'all some direction and a plan moving forward. Have you thought about going to an RE?
    Multiple TTCAL 1IF 3
    imageimage
    DX: stage 2 Endo 2012, PCOS 7/2/14,  HSG 6/11/14, Lefty open!!
    BFP#1, EDD: 4/27/14, Missed EP confirmed: 9/23/13, R tube removal: 9/25/13 
    Clomid/TI #1=BFN, 
    Clomid/TI#2=BFN, Clomid/TI #3=CP
    BFP #2 CP, EDD 7/12/15
    On a treatment break: 2 natural cycles. Saving money, sigh*

Goodbye my sweet babies. We miss you so much
    All Welcome

• Options

OB did refer me to RE. I am going to look into it. Although, A doctors handwriting isnt much legiable :) I will have to research. I will probably start after blood work and DH semen analyis. I do have a urologist in mind for him in our area.

• Options
    Welcome and sorry you find yourself here. 
    That med student has a lot to learn about the insensitive comments. I am also among the group that needs to lose a few pounds, however as someone else pointed out, women of all shapes and sizes conceive. My OB never mentioned it, we are seeing an RE in a few weeks, and I am curious if they mention it for myself and DH. 

I am also in the OOP group, my insurance strictly prohibits anything with fertility. I stuck with my OB group for IUIs for about 6 months, in part because they offered a substantial cash discount. Now that we are looking into IVF we are switching to an RE. It is worth calling the business office of any Drs you are working with and asking about cost of procedures, also about if they have a cash discount policy. This helps to avoid surprises when you get the bill. 
    Good luck, and you have found a very supportive board!
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

• Options
    Welcome! I am new, as well, to both this journey of infertility and to this board. I've only been here a short time and have already felt more support than I imagined. These ladies have been nothing but supportive and helpful, and I think you'll find that as long as you take some time to read the Newbie Blog and look around a bit, you won't ever have to preface your posts with, "so please be kind" again. :)
  • Options
    Welcome. :-)
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    Welcome - and sorry you find yourself here. As others have said you will find lots of support here and learn so much. And I'm sorry that med student upset you :( That was not what you needed. If you want to work on losing weight for yourself then great, it might help and certainly won't hurt. But I seriously doubt your weight is the reason you guys are having trouble! Don't beat yourself up, this is not your fault.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Me:35, blocked left tube, RPL, AMA  DH: 34, low morph & borderline count
    TTC since 8/2012
    1st ever BFP 11/4/13 - CP 11/6 @ 4w4d
    12/2013: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI TI + progesterone = BFN (all follies on left side)
    1/2014: 50 mg Clomid + trigger + IUI #1 + progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 14 dpIUI = 51 Beta #2 16 dpIUI = 144 Beta #3 19 dpIUI = 354
    U/S @ 6w1d = empty gestational sac. Heartbroken :( D&C 2/22/14
    ~Mental Health Break~
    6/2014: Clomid + ASA 81 mg + trigger + IUI #2 + progesterone = BFN
    7/2014: Clomid + ASA + trigger + IUI #3 + progesterone = CP
    ~Mental Health Break #2~
    1/2015: IVF #1 - please be our rainbow baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"