Toddlers: 24 Months+

Breakfast Ideas

Here's our rotation, looking for 1 more idea to make it 7 breakfast meals, so I can do something different each day of the week.  Also, does what I have look for the most part good and healthy?  Am I missing anything?  I was never into healthy much before the babes and I'm working so hard at trying to understand what's best for them, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Here's what we have

Homemade Blueberry Banana Waffles with Sausage or Bacon (sometimes turkey sometimes pork)  (the recipe I use turns out a big soggy so if you have a recipe you love let me know)

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Cheddar, WW Toast & Fruit

Cheerios, Banana & Boiled Egg

I mix together with a mixer 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, natural peanut butter, a banana and a drizzle of honey and serve with granola  (anyone have any homemade granola recipes, I've never tried to make it)

Smoothie (1 c spinach, 1 c frozen fruit, 1 banana, 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1 cup milk, sprinkle of cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, a 3 T plain greek yogurt)

Oatmeal (here's where I need some ideas, the boys haven't been into oatmeal much lately)  How do you fix your toddlers oatmeal?

Now what else could I make?  \

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Breakfast Ideas

• Ok, good to hear I'm on track.  lol I am just trying really really hard to do my best.  I'm working on improving the way I do most of my cooking too.  A little at a time.  I've got breakfast down I guess.  Now lunch we are in a mac n cheese & vegetable rut that I need to work on. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm impressed that your kids will eat that many things for breakfast, and that you have the time to prepare it all.  I try to give DD different stuff, but every single day during the week, all she wants is yogurt and fruit.
  • sugarbear0524sugarbear0524 member
    edited June 2014
    Here are a couple of other breakfast ideas. I do these on weekends, as my son gets a great breakfast at preschool during the week.

1. Greek yogurt with fruit and a little honey mixed in with a banana or other fruit, 
    2. "Egg in the hole", which is whole wheat bread with a circle cut out and an egg cooked inside. Put the bread and the circles you cut out in a skillet with a little butter and crack an egg into the hole. Flip when it starts to set.
    3. Multi-grain frozen waffles.
    4. Whole grain bread french toast.

• SusieBW said:
    I'm impressed that your kids will eat that many things for breakfast, and that you have the time to prepare it all.  I try to give DD different stuff, but every single day during the week, all she wants is yogurt and fruit.
    Well, my first one is not picky AT ALL.  He'll eat anything, I mean literally anything.  He's just like my dh, neither one of them are picky at all.  My younger one is pickier an honestly just prefers breast milk to eating, so I'm pretty lucky.  And as far as time goes, my husband is up at 5 am for work and I get up too and the boys aren't up til 8, so I have plenty of time to think about breakfast, now lunch not so much. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• For oatmeal, I buy all natural Cinnamon Raisin Swirl peanut butter- it's Peanut Butter and Co. brand. I mix it into my toddler's oatmeal so it's not plain and he loves it! Sometimes, I'll cut up a banana to put on top of the oatmeal or blueberries.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My son either has toast (with hummus, mashed avocado, or peanut butter - only on non-daycare days), plain cheerios, or pancakes (weekends only).  If he's very hungry, he'll also have an applesauce, yogurt or some fruit.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Um, I think you are doing fine. My kids eat the same 3 things for breakfast, I can't imagine doing what you are doing! 

I make oatmeal w/ vanilla & cinnamon. Sometimes I add apples or raisins when cooking. They like a splash of milk on top. 

This!  Wow!  You're doing way too much. 

For oatmeal I add a tiny bit of pure maple syrup and cinnamon.  I sometimes add a mashed banana.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, my kid pretty much eats the same thing for breakfast every day.  The only variety is sometimes he has cold cereal, other times he has oatmeal.

Mine likes "colored" oatmeal, so I'll put a drop of food coloring in it.  But if your kids don't like oatmeal, I don't think you have to force it upon them.  You could also try something similar like cream of wheat, or quinoa.  Or "cold" oatmeal, which is the dry oatmeal mixed with yogurt and fruit overnight. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • chardonnay24chardonnay24 member
    edited June 2014
    Well, I let my kid make breakfast requests (he's 3.5) and he always asks for the same thing: pancakes or oatmeal. I usually make banana or pumpkin pancakes. He likes his oatmeal with a little peanut butter and some fresh fruit, usually berries.

ETA: I used to make French toast a lot, too. I'd make it with multigrain bread, egg, vanilla, and milk or half and half, and top it with fruit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • shannmshannm member
    Uh, can you come over and make me breakfast?

During the week, my six year old asks for cereal 90% of the time.
    My toddler gets oatmeal or eggs and toast.
    They both get fruit every morning.
    On the weekends, we make Dutch babies or whole wheat pancakes.
  • lana22lana22 member
    You guys are amazing. My kids have bran flakes or cheerios, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs or bread. Very sporadically I'll make pancakes or bacon on a weekend.

What are Dutch babies?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • shannmshannm member
    lana22 said:

You guys are amazing. My kids have bran flakes or cheerios, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs or bread. Very sporadically I'll make pancakes or bacon on a weekend.

What are Dutch babies?
    Dutch babies are eggs, flour and milk. Basic recipe is 2 tbsp butter in a pie plate. Put plate in oven and preheat to 425. Beat three eggs. Best in 3/4 cp milk. Mix in 3/4 cp flour. Pour into hot pie plate. Bake for 25 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. I also cover them in sliced strawberries and serve with maple syrup.
    You can mix them up by adding spices, like smitten kitchen had a gingerbread version. I also have used both whole wheat and regular flour successfully.
  • That's a nice breakfast line up. My kid usually eats: cereal then fresh fruit. Soft boiled egg and then banana. White rice and scrambled eggs. For breakfast

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • My go to items are hot cereals like oatmeal (old fashioned or steel cut), oat bran, yogurt parfaits with fruit and granola, some type of carb with peanut butter on it like raisin bread, toast, waffles, pancakes. Breakfast is served with a serving of fruit and milk.
  • lana22lana22 member
    shannm said:

What are Dutch babies?
    Dutch babies are eggs, flour and milk. Basic recipe is 2 tbsp butter in a pie plate. Put plate in oven and preheat to 425. Beat three eggs. Best in 3/4 cp milk. Mix in 3/4 cp flour. Pour into hot pie plate. Bake for 25 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. I also cover them in sliced strawberries and serve with maple syrup. You can mix them up by adding spices, like smitten kitchen had a gingerbread version. I also have used both whole wheat and regular flour successfully.
    yum. that sounds delish, thanks. off to google pie plate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow! These are some great breakfast ideas. My kiddos get bored easily with one kind of meal, so we have to keep coming up with new exciting ideas. I really liked these healthy meal ideas for kids, especially the hard boiled egg boats.

• I love the first 2 comments.  As I was reading the post I was thinking that I'm definitely not getting the mom of the year award for breakfast apparently!  DD must have yogurt when she wakes up.  After that we do one of the following: cheerios or crispix with milk, toast with peanut butter, scrambled eggs, waffles, and usually some kind of fruit every day.  Sometimes on weekends I'll make pancakes or muffins. 
  • My kids rotate through about 4 or 5 favorites:
    Mini pancakes
    Frozen waffles
    Homemade muffins
    Bagels
    Cereal or oatmeal
    Plus maybe some yogurt or fruit
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • edited September 2014
    Lol wow! I can't believe you have the energy to make all that every morning :P For our son we rotate between oatmeal, cheerios, waffles, pancakes, toast with jam, and raisin toast. Then he has a glass of milk and yogurt to go with it. For his morning snack he gets a banana. As far as big breakfasts with peamale, eggs, toast, etc...I save that for our lunches on the weekend. It sounds like you're doing a great job and your kids are getting a lot of variety! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"