One & Done: Only child
Options

Swimming lesson stress

My kid is the crier.  HELP ME!

DS has been in "mommy and me" swim lessons for while whole life (practically).  He just started independent swim lessons, where he is in the water with 3 other kids and 1 teacher.  The past 2 weeks, he has spent the whole time crying! 

This reaction is just the last thing I would have expected from him.  He's so social and outgoing, and very comfortable with the water.  Has anyone else experienced this?? The teacher tells me that it is fine and he'll adjust eventually, but it is extremely stressful to have to watch through the window and see him sobbing for 30 minutes.

How soon will it get better?   

DS 11.24.11
MMC 3.30.16

Re: Swimming lesson stress

• Options
    At our swim club, they will let the parents be in the water the first lesson or two until the child is acclimated to the new teacher/non-parent lessons.  Could you try something like that?  Also, they don't start individual lessons until 3, so they have a little more maturity.  You could also try getting him new swim trunks or a new towel or something so he looks forward to using a new  "big boy" present at the next lesson.

Individual lessons start at 2.5 year, and they definitely take the "cold turkey" approach.  I keep trying to tell myself that they're the experts and have taught hundreds of children, but I have also wondered whether it would be easier if I were able to be nearby.  Their philosophy is that having mom nearby interferes with the LO's ability to bond with the teacher.  Ugh.  I like your idea about the swim trunks.  Maybe I will try that!  Fingers crossed that next week is better. 
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"