Natural Birth

When did you go in to labor with Baby #1?

tacosandtumstacosandtums member
edited June 2014 in Natural Birth
Just wanted to get a general consensus of how far you went past your EDD with first babies (because from what I hear first babies are usually later, correct me if I'm wrong). My OB told me yesterday my practice will typically induce at 41 weeks. She said depending on circumstances, sometimes they will "allow you" to go into the 41st week. (I know they can't force me to be induced, but I'm hoping not to be fighting battles that late in the game).

She made a really ill-advised joke about "Crazy people waiting to go into labor naturally and their babies coming out at 42 weeks already talking"... I did not laugh, I don't think letting your body go into labor naturally is funny... I just kind of stared at her when she said that and made it awkward, haha.

I am hoping for a natural, non-intervention birth so  I'm hoping that I don't go past 41 weeks, but things happen...Just curious about everyone's experience. 

ETA: words

Re: When did you go in to labor with Baby #1?

• O I just read an article today about the phrase "not allowed" so it's interesting she said that.

I'm glad you don't plan to let them induce at 41 (assuming no health issues). I believe 41 is average for a ftm so that means as many go past to 42 weeks as deliver at 40.

Good for you for being informed and keep on standing up for yourself!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • @PaintTheAir I'd love to see the article if you have it still! Yeah I did not like the joke very much, but in general I do like her. I have a doula and am informed of the facts and my preferences so I'm just crossing my fingers that everything is normal and I don't go into labor much later than my EDD. 
  • I started taking EPO vaginally every night at 39 weeks.  DH and I had sex on 39w6d and my water broke about 12 hours later.  I had an intervention free birth.  I was just like you, very nervous I would go 42 weeks, but he came just a few hours before his due date!  Best of luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just kept 42 weeks in my head as my actual due date, and told most people who asked that I was due "in June" just to keep my mind at ease if I went past 40 weeks. I was lucky and DD came early at 38w6d. I am now 38w6d with my second and the mind-games are killing me because I have been now expecting this one to be early too! 

Anyway, personally, I would decline induction at all costs unless there were specific signs of fetal distress or low fluid. You can request NST's if you go past 40 weeks. And, you can always just not show up to the induction. It gets harder the farther along you are though, because it just sounds so nice to have baby out :) but inductions are no fun and give you a much higher chance of c-section. Best of luck to you!
  • Here is that article. I'm glad you have a doula too!
    https://birthmonopoly.com/allowed/

• Thank you all for the support! @PaintTheAir that article is great!! 
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    I went into labor at 35w3d with DS1.  I had a M/C before conceiving him, so there was a little question about when my actual EDD was.  He always measured right according to my EDD, but after he was born the pedi said she thought he looked more like a 38 week baby.  

DS2 was born on 39 weeks exactly.

I agree with PPs.  Inform yourself, and don't let them push you into anything you are uncomfortable with.  You can always see if they'd be willing to do NSTs and/or BPPs that last week or two to confirm that baby is still doing fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Just saw this info graphic and thought it was fitting.

• Our son was born at 38w5d. My water broke in the middle of the night and he was born 7:15pm New Years Eve. I had a med free birth with the help of my DH and awesome OB! I had a handful of close friends have their first babies a week or so before their due date as well. You never know. Good luck!! :)

• Baby #1 : 41 weeks 0 days
    Baby #2: 39 weeks 3 days 

If there is no medical indication of a problem, I would never consent to an induction. 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• With my first I went into labor according to my LMP EDD at 39w 5d. She was born the next day. According to the ultrasounds that were done through out my pregnancy she was born on her EDD.

My second I went into labor on my EDD and he was born the same day.
  • DS was born at exactly 40 weeks. labor started early on his EDD and he was born a little after 5 AM.

agree with PPs that if there are no medical problems with you or the baby, there is no reason to induce.
  • DD was born at 39w0d. Labor started around 2 am and I had a med-free delivery at noon. So I was one of the outliers that had an 'early' 1st baby.

Like others, I don't think your doctor's 'joke' was very funny. It's actually a red flag, IMO. I know you said you liked her, but she may not be much of an advocate of med-free birth or the natural progression of labor and delivery. If your goal is a med-free, low-intervention birth you may find a more supportive environment in a different practice. It is worth researching if you are at all concerned.
  • I kept telling myself I would go at least 41 weeks...that's the average, blah, blah, blah.  My mom kept gently trying to tell me I might go 2 weeks early.  She was much closer than me.  I had our first 18 days early.  So you may want to ask the women in your family when their first babies came.
  • DD was born 40w6d. If she would have stayed in longer I would have had a NST at 41w3d and been induced a day shy of 42w.

Crazy Cat Lady in Training Est. 1983
    TTC 10/2010; Dx: Unexplained Infertility 12/2012
    IUI#1=BFP 4/3/13; EDD 12/13/13
  • @mamakate12345‌ @margaritachikita‌ I hadn't thought of the temptation of induction sounding appealing by that point- thank you both for bringing that up. It's good to know in advance that may happen and mentally prepare. Thank you!

@Aurora_Borealis‌ I hear you. I've been down the "should I switch providers?" road. I have a variety of reasons for staying in the practice where I'm at, and few to no good alternatives with my current insurance situation. I have a fantastic doula who has experience with the practice so that helps me wrap my head around it.
  • I'm so glad you have a doula!

• 40w3d (charting) with both kids
  • I went into labor on my own and delivered at 39w5d. My ob didn't actually schedule an induction, but she had mentioned it as a possibility. She was starting to see signs of an aging placenta.

Now with the twins, she started out saying she doesn't see them go past 38 weeks. But when we talked about a friend who almost made it to 40 weeks with her twins, she thought that was awesome.

I always feel comfortable asking her why things are done, alternatives, etc.
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    My water broke at exactly 37 weeks with my first (and because I was charting, my EDD was very accurate).  I remember being so confused and freaked out at first because I thought for sure since it was my first that I would be going at least until 40 weeks.  So not only was that a surprise but then I only had a 4 hour labor & had a hard time comprehending that a first birth could be that short! 

I know my provider doesn't bat an eye until after 41 weeks.  After that is when she'll order some tests and watch even more closely to see if continuing the pregnancy is healthy for both mother and child.  She did tell me once she did have a mother go and deliver a healthy baby at close to 43 weeks (which was the longest any of her patients was pregnant). 
  • Thank you all for the support. It's helpful to see not many go past 41 weeks and some days. 
  • I was totally prepared to go to at least 41 weeks, so I was completely unprepared when I went into labor at 39w3d. I even put my mom on a plane that morning not believing that the on and off back pain I was having was contractions. I also charted before pregnancy so I know my dates were accurate. Needless to say, she landed and had to walk across the terminal to get on a plane that brought her right back.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • ArmyQMArmyQM member
    #1: 39w6d (born 11 minutes before his EDD)
  • jenn43jenn43 member
    My water broke on my due date, and I was induced with cytotec the next day. LO was born med-free at 40 and 2!
  • What are the signs of an aging placenta?
  • mb314mb314 member
    I went into labor 2 days before my due date (which was a good thing because I was scheduled for an induction on my due date because of creeping blood pressure and low fluid levels).

• 41Weeks2 days with the first.  40W 5d with my second. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ds arrived at exactly 37 weeks, 9 pounds, and only 9 hours after my water broke naturally. You never know! Dates were accurate bc we charted.

So happy you have a doula!!
    Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
  • 38w5d...after being in labor for 3 weeks. I don't recommend that approach, FWIW. :D
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Studies on this particular fact are lacking.  (There's a 1990 study that found 1st timers to go to 41w1d on average, but the study was small and needs repeating.)  FWIW, I went 5 days early - 39w2d.

IMG_8355
  • My daughter was born at 40+5 days. I was in for my regular appointment and without asking, the OB I had to see that day (because mine was not available) swept the membranes WITHOUT ASKING. He informed me casually after and I said wait - you want to do it or you just did it?   Regardless, if he had asked I would have done it.

I had bleeding and cramping most of that afternoon (this happened at noon). I started feeling distinct breaks in the cramping that evening and realized they were contractions and that I was in labor. :)

Btw, at the end of my appointment he wanted to schedule an induction. I let him knowing I had no intentions of doing it. He first suggested it for the night before 42 weeks and then tried to change it while I was in the bathroom... I protested and he said do what you want but the risks go up substantially after 42 weeks. I argued saying we aren't close to 42 yet.  

Baby knows best.  If we had gone past 42, I'm not sure what I would have done. I was happy not to have to find out.
  • I started EPO orally at 38 weeks.  At 38.5 I started it vaginally.  10 days before my due date I did the birth visualization course on my hypnobirthing class.  At 9 days before my due date I accidentally clicked on the labor course (which says "do not listen unless you are ready to go into labor").  I decided there was no way that was going to work after one listen and I was getting into it so I kept listening.  No joke, 30 minutes after the hypnosis session ended my water broke and my son was born 5 hours later.

So not every FTM goes past their due date.  Many do, but I'd say it's only about half from what I know about my friends and BMB.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• @JCWhitey

Holy cow. This is awesome. Hypnosis rules.

• @lexxctpx I do almost hate to tell that story because I can't tell you that it will happen with everyone, but from week 20 on I was doing at least one hypnosis session daily (I did two courses: Gentle Birth and Bliss Born) and practiced all of the techniques religiously.  I think by the time I listened to that one my body was so well "trained" by hypnosis that when it told me to go into labor my body was like "Yeah, OK, whatever."  But he also WAS ready to come- he was born at 7 lbs, 13 oz and completely healthy.  I just know this go-round I am NOT listening to that track until I'm really ready.  I was NOT ready last time!  Lol!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Chiming in late here...

With my first, I spontaneously went into labour at 41 weeks.

With my second, even though I'm in Canada and under the care of a midwife, I was induced at 41w3d.  Even the midwives' association here doesn't like for you to go much longer than that.

Although, even with the induction, I had a "med-free" (in quotations because I guess technically the induction hormones are meds ;) ) birth, and the baby arrived in about 4 hours.  :)

It really seems to vary widely.  I think that some people are short gestators and some are long.  I am obviously (unfortunately) a long gestator.  :)

They can do a number of tests to make sure everything is going well.  I had an ultrasound at 41 weeks to make sure the placenta and umbilical chord were functioning properly, and an NST a few days later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• DS1: 35w3d

DD:  39w1d

DS2: 38w2d - this little guy looked extremely post date, no vernix and he peeled like he had the worst sunburn.  Very sure on his dates though. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I went into labor 37 weeks, 2 days pregnant! I started to have strong, consistent contractions. My water did not break until about 30 minutes before I pushed DD out. Good luck!
  • Robi1Robi1 member
    Went into natural labor with my first at 38w5d, she was born 38w6d. I was also terrified of going late, not because of induction, but because my birth center won't let you birth there after 42 weeks, and I did not want to go to the hospital.
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"