Yet another question about progesterone — The Bump
Trouble TTC

Yet another question about progesterone

By now people may be wondering if I have anything else to talk about aside from these lovely progesterone suppositories  ;)  

They're just so new to me (first cycle doing them) and I always have questions popping into my head throughout the day (which I usually end up googling).  So my beta is on 6/24 (next Wed).  I'll go out on a limb and say that if I don't get a BFP with HPT at 12-13dpiui, it's safe to say that I struck out this cycle.  If that's the case, do you guys think it's reasonable to just stop the suppositories at that point?  The reason I ask that is because (if I remember right) quite a few of you have mentioned that AF takes longer to come when you've been on progesterone that cycle.  So wouldn't it be in my best interest to just stop the progesterone at that point and wait on AF so that I can get started with round 3 of IUI without having to wait longer (by staying on the suppositories longer?).  Do you ladies usually just continue the progesterone until your beta is confirmed negative?  Or stop before that if repeated HPT's have all been BFN's?  
**Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
TTC #1 since Jan 2013
First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome

Re: Yet another question about progesterone

• There's still a pretty significant chance that a BFP is on its way after 12-13DPO. If your RE has you take progesterone because you needed it, not just as a matter of course in his/her treatment plans, I personally would not want to stop until beta or perhaps full flow of period - I wouldn't want to second guess if implantation had occurred on the later end (as late as 12DPO) and the HCG just wasn't enough yet for the HPT to pick up. 

That said, women on this board who are familiar with their cycles have mentioned stopping a couple days early when their periods clearly come. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009 | RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
    CandaceC1020
  • jkrempjkremp member
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Love Its Photogenic
    Last cycle, I decided to stop the Prometrium before my beta because I just couldn't take the side effects anymore, I wanted to hurry up and start IUI cycle #3, and I was getting BFNs on FRERs at 12 and 13 dpiui. I usually get AF within two days of stopping the suppositories. 

I told my nurse and she said it wasn't a big deal. 

Good luck to you!
    6/2014: IUI #3 - Menopur + trigger = BFP!!
    Betas: 9dpiui=15.3, 14dpiui=385, 16dpiui=1162
    7/10/2014: 1st ultrasound - 1 beautiful little heartbeat (121bpm)

DD born 12/2012:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the only time I quit taking them early was when I was bleeding a full flow. My clinic didn't do beta days but told me to test at 14dpo. I was TI and I always get confused about the difference with dpo and dpiui. Only my first cycle did it take 2-3 days for my period my other 2 were within the day.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Unless you're in a rush to start the next cycle for timing reasons, I'd take the suppositories until beta.  I know a woman who stopped her progesterone at 12 DPO because she kept getting BFNs, found out she was pregnant, and then had a CP.  Whether it was due to late implantation or reduced progesterone, I don't know.  But she regretted not taking the progesterone just in case.

Trust me, I feel you on wanting to stop sooner.  These stupid suppositories are very hard on my body and I'd love to stop taking them, but it's worth the symptoms if it means it helps me get - and stay - pregnant.

IUI 08/2013 - natural cycle, BFN
    IUI 10/2013 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 11/2013 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 03/2014 - Clomid cycle, BFN
    IUI 05/2014 - Femara + FSH, BFN
    IUI 06/2014 - FSH, BFP! DS born 02/2015

TTC #2
    W IUI 08/2017 - Femara, BFN
    W IUI 10/2017 - Femara, BFN
    W diagnosed as low AMH
    Me: PCOS
    Myo-Inositol, NAC, prenatals
    IUI 03/2018 - Gonal F - BFN

INVOcell IVF September 2018 - BFP!!! EDD June 1st 2019
    lebradfordCandaceC1020wanderlust508
  • As much as it irritated me to keep taking them until beta, I did. At 12dpiui, there is still a real chance that you could end up with a positive test later, and have a negative that day. I would *hate* to have something happen and wonder if it was because I was impatient with the progesterone.

I know some people's offices don't even offer betas. If I was in that position, I would test with FMU with a FRER on 14dpiui at the absolute earliest, before calling it officially a negative cycle.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

CandaceC1020wishiwaspreggo
  • Thanks for your feedback ladies!  I really appreciate being able to ask other women who've had more experience with the progesterone.  I absolutely don't mind taking the suppositories longer.  Sure they're a pain but if they could play a part in a healthy pregnancy, I am all for it.  Especially after reading your responses I will just stick with them until I get confirmation on the beta results.  I guess my biggest fear is that I thought the progesterone could make my cycle much longer and delay AF even more the longer I take it.  But if it does, it does.  We'll see what happens.  
    **Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
    Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013
    First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
    April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
    May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
    June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
    July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
    August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
    August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
    November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • I normally take it until 14 or 15dpiui. And the last two cycles that I have taken it, the day I stop taking it I started spotting the same night and my period starts the next morning. So I'm fortunate enough to not have to wait for AF
    wanderlust508