May 2014 Moms
Options

Umbilical/belly button concern

Tonight while changing our 2 1/2 week olds diaper, he started to cry. His belly button (which has yet to fall off) started to move in and out while he was crying. Behind the black, dry belly button was what looked like pink/white umbilical cord. There was no bleeding, redness or discharge and once he stopped crying- it stopped moving.

I called our pediatrician and was connected to an RN. She said this can be normal where there is tissue behind the dried cord. I asked if it could be an umbilical hernia and she said possibly but an md would have to see him. He is feeding fine, very happy and seems normal

I, on the other hand, am freaking out. I will be calling first thing Tom am to bring him in to see the MD

Anyone else experience anything like this????

Re: Umbilical/belly button concern

• Options
    Yep our guy had the same thing. I could see yellow behind his stump the pedi said it was normal at our appointment. At 13 days it fell off and has been perfectly fine.
  • Options
    Krisd6Krisd6 member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you! You are making me rest and breathe so much easier now!
    Ugh- parenting is so stressful!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's cord was not coming off!! At her 2 week apt dr said come back in 2 weeks if it hasn't fallen off. At 4 weeks still really stuck on. They used silver nitrate to help cauterize it and said if it didn't fall off in another 2 weeks to come back. Finally at 5 weeks it fell off. But her belly button looked the exact same that you described behind the stump. To give you some piece of mind, there's absolutely no nerve endings in the umbilical cord/ belly button. So if your LO is crying it's irritating the skin around the belly button. Good luck!
  • Options
    Krisd6Krisd6 member
    I just got back from the pediatrician. My little ones belly button fell off this am. The MD said it was the umbilical cord behind it- it had never dried out. It was a little oozy so she cauterized it with silver nitrate and told me to use an alcohol pad on it once a day starting tomorrow, no baths until it is healed and to watch for any s/s of infection. The baby has a small umbilical hernia which he said should go away on its own.

I am breathing easier. Thanks everyone for your posts. I love this board- it's so great to feel supported and share experiences!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"