Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Still rocking toddler to sleep...help!!!!

A bit embarrassing..major oversight I never made a point to get my son to sleep without rocking him... Now baby 2 will be here in jan and I am desperately trying to train him get a story or two and then fall asleep on his own ....not working too good I am dealing with a screaming toddler that not falling asleep and I keep giving in For me to get sleep and hubby ... Ideas please!!!'

Re: Still rocking toddler to sleep...help!!!!

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    Do some reading on various sleep training methods and choose one that you feel comfortable with. I liked Ferber. But no matter what you decide on, BE CONSISTENT. You can't give in just to go to sleep. You are not doing your child any favors that way, just confusing him.
  • Options
    shannm said:
    Do some reading on various sleep training methods and choose one that you feel comfortable with. I liked Ferber. But no matter what you decide on, BE CONSISTENT. You can't give in just to go to sleep. You are not doing your child any favors that way, just confusing him.
    This.  We did Ferber as well.  Progressive checks till they fall asleep.  Yes your toddler will cry but he will also learn.  Letting him cry a few minutes and then giving in is helping no one.  Be consistent.  Alternate with YH so that one of you isn't doing all of the checks.  Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second having your DH do the tucking in/reading books. You will definitely want your LO to be used to Dad doing the bedtime routine when you have a newborn.
  • Options
    DD is 2 and we stopped rocking her to sleep when she was about 17 months BUT we still are staying in the room with her and sitting next to her bed until she falls asleep.  We would love to be able to just put her in bed and leave the room but we just don't know how to get to that point.  I am also pregnant with #2.  Anyway, DH puts her to bed most nights so I figure at least he will be in her room with her and that will leave me available to tend my newborn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Personally, unless it bothers you, I wouldn't stress too much. You have 6 months and I used to do it with my first. She outgrew wanting it at 2ish.

Try DH doing it for a few nights differently- the adjustment may be easier without you.

Worst case scenario, you sleep train in the fall.
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

I still rock DS every night but he doesn't fall asleep on me, we just hang out then I put him to bed. I agree with everyone else that you HAVE to be consistent.

Here's one idea: you could rock him for a little bit, give him multiple warnings that you are about to put him in his bed because it's bedtime (warnings always help with transitions) and then put him in. Rub his head a bit, say goodnight and walk out. He most likely will still be crying so give him a few minutes, then go back in, say it's bedtime, goodnight and leave again.

That is just one idea and what I do when DS goes through rough phases of separation anxiety but if you are consistent EVERY single night, don't pick him up and just communicate he will eventually get it.

This would be my suggestion. I snuggle with DS on the rocking chair every night before bed.  We sing songs and talk about the day.  Then after a little while, I'll tell him 5 more minutes, or 2 more songs and then he needs to go into his crib.  The warnings are good for him.

Also, for a very long time I stayed in DS's room while he fell asleep.  He always wanted me to stay, even though he was already in his crib.  I didn't have a problem with that, and often brought my iPad and worked on emails while I sat in there.  Just recently he started being OK with me leaving the room after I put him to bed, so he got there on his own eventually.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Options
    Create a specific routine and do it every night without fail. We read 1 book and sing 3 songs, and then we go to bed. When we first started this routine, DD would throw a huge fit when we put her down, sometimes for over an hour, and we would use the method PPs mentioned above with checking in and repeating bedtime prompts every 5-10 minutes. It took less than a week of 100% consistency and she started going to bed without complaint after the last song.
  • Options
    I was in the same boat rocking to sleep and my LO is 27 months. I just stopped rocking last month. I'm expecting baby #2 and can't do it anymore. What helps my LO is doing our regular routine and I found he sleeps alone when I leave the lights on and turn on the ceiling fan. Also he requests a cup of water to keep nearby. It's been working for nap. For bedtime i can get him down but sometimes he still wakes up some nights. I cave and bring him to bed with us. Slowly but surely we are making progress. But yea there's hope.
  • Options
    I agree with all of the above.  DD will be 3 in September.  We have a very consistent sleep routine and sleep trained when she was 6 months. We do bath, PJs, 2 stories and a lullaby.  We lay her down totally awake and falls asleep on her own. 

The only thing I can contribute is to be prepared with LO #2 comes in the picture.  DD #1 resisted routines for a solid two weeks after DD2 was born.  It was very hard.  Every thing was a battle.  She wanted to sleep in mommy & daddy's bed.  Threw major fits.  Started hitting, screaming, etc. I read a blog somewhere that suggested that toddlers need to know that after new baby comes home that the routines of life stay the same.  Because everything seems so uncertain with the new baby, it sends their little world into a bit of chaos as they work out their feelings and emotions.  About two weeks after being very strict about the bed time routine, DD is now back to being her sweet little self. 

I type all of that to say, pick a routine, stick with it, but be prepared to deal with major push back when LO comes home.  With hormones, lack of sleep, and all that goes with having a newborn - this part can really take a toll on you emotionally.  If you know its coming and that it is just a phase, you can at least be prepared.
  • Options
    We don't rock, but my daughter asks to "snuggle". She still has the fisher price aquarium attached to the side of her bed (not crib); so we read 1-3 books, and then I turn the aquarium on. It runs for 12 minutes. Those 12 minutes are our snuggle time. I rub her hands, and we snuggle. Once the aquarium goes off--I leave. (I do reset it before I go out the room) so maybe some type of musical cue would work. 
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"