Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Febrile seizure.. My daugher just had one just looking for support, if anyone else expirenced this.

My daughter 20 months old had a febrile seizure Saturday at a family graduation party. I'm having a very hard time getting past this and really just need help and support from another parent who also had this terrifying experience? How do I continue to go about our lives without always fearing this will happen again. I'm just terrified and scared and don't know what to do. Thank you I hope there is someone out there that can talk to me ....

LF

Re: Febrile seizure.. My daugher just had one just looking for support, if anyone else expirenced this.

• Options
    Yes it was awful.. I just keep flashing back to seeing her and our son seeing everything it was a very bad situation. But we went to ER and they said same thing she had/has a virus, we had no idea she had one we thought she felt a little warm earlier due to teeth. I'm so glad to hear your niece is doing well best of luck I was told its common for toddlers and infants to have these not like that made anything better at all....
  • Options
    Thank you MrsMuq, I really appreciate it and never thought of this thank you I will do this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD has never had one, but my younger sister did when she was a toddler. I remember how terrifying it was and remember a neighbor coming to stay with me while my parents rushed her to the ER. If it makes you feel any better, it was a one time thing. She never had another one. I can't imagine how terrifying that must be as a mom! (((Hugs)))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    Thank you Myaflowers that makes me feel a lot better.
  • Options
    They usually are "one and done" when it come to febrile seizures. What causes them is a rapid spike in temp. Glad she's ok.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• Options
    ss265ss265 member

My co-worker's son had one and it sounded like a scary experience. His sister had one when she was a baby and she only had one her whole life (she's an adult now). My co-worker said that it could have a genetic link. Either way, it sounded like it was a one and done event. If you are having a hard time dealing with it, seek a support group and also come up with a plan on how you will handle it if she has another one. Sometimes just having a plan helps alleviate the stress. Sorry that you are going through this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My younger brother had one when he was about 2 due to an ear infection.  He is 29 now and never had another.  It was frightening for me as a child and I can only imagine how frightening it was for you.  I am sure everything will be ok.  Let yourself check on her at night if it gives you piece of mind.  Dont' feel like you have to be stoic - if was an awful experience and you'll need some reassurance before you start to feel "back to normal".  hang in there!
  • Options
    My girlfriends dd had one due to high fever from a urinary tract infection. Scarist moment of her life. Once they found out about the infection she was put on antibiotics and never had one again. That was about a year ago. I've heard the same thing "one and done" with these type of seizures. I think it will get easier for you its just so fresh in your mind still. Sending positive thought your way :)
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited June 2014
    Ok so I can relate to this. My almost 4 year old has had 4 febrile seizures. He is so smart which is often the fear of moms that it does damage... he is healthy and fine

On the "how to deal end" it gets easier. Always carry Tylenol and Ibuprofen with you. If they have fever than be proactive. The deal with seizure is it is how fast they rise or fall not the number.
  • Options
    My DD has had two ... once in February and once in March. Both times, she was on the tail end of colds, so while we never thought she had a fever, us and her neurologist all think it was due to a spike in temperature.

Her pediatrician recommended us getting all the tests done to rule out anything and to give us piece of mind ... she has had the CT scan and the MRI -- all of which have come back normal. We just had her first follow up, and all is well. She's developmentally, physically, etc. on track. We go back in October for one more follow up, and if she's been fine between now and then, that will be the last appointment.

Both her doctors have said that if the seizure lasts LESS than 5 minutes, then we don't have to take her to the ER or anything. Just keep her in a safe place and watch her until it's over. If it's more than 5 minutes, we call. 

Both times that she had the seizures, she came out of them fairly quickly. The only residual effects were that she was sleepy for the rest of the day, which is completely normal. 

While they can be super scary, like others have said, they don't do damage and typically kids grow out of them. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our son had one when he was 11 months old (he's now 17 months). His fever spiked suddenly causing the seizures, and we rushed him to the ER. Scariest moment of our lives, so I totally know how you feel. It took me awhile to relax, but we have been able to cope through prayer, and God has given us an amazing peace about the situation. Whenever DS gets a fever, though, I keep a pretty close eye on him to make sure his fever doesn't spike too high.
    The doctors we saw were very reassuring about the fact that it is usually a one time thing, so that also helped to relieve the tension a bit.
    I hope you can feel better about all this soon; Prayers to you and your family.
  • Options
    My DS had one when he was just over a year and a half old.  So so so terrifying.  I had picked DS up from daycare and he was FINE.  We got home, and were waiting for my DH to come home early (thank goodness) because we had a playgroup that night.  I noticed DS started acting kind of lethargic...Randomly felt his forehead and he was burning up.  DH got home and we took his temp...it was 104.  He'd NEVER had a temp that high before.  We went from calling the pedi to calling 911 in a matter of 5 minutes.  About a week later he tested positive for RSV so we figured that must have been the virus that initially caused his fever spike.  His pedi said he may or may not ever have another one, but the farther out we get from the initial seizure his chances of another go down.  Every time he even starts to feel slightly warm we get out the Advil.  I don'[t have any advice for you other than I can sympathize!  I hope to never have to relive that experience.
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• Options
    Im so sorry you had to experience that. My son (almost 18mo) had a febrile seizure this past May. Scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. We had him rushed to the ER, where they quickly told us these can be common within tho age group and that they are fairly harmless and just the body's response to rapid spike in temp. His was due to a virus. They sent us home that Same night, and we just controlled the fever with meds.

We now are just hyper vigilant about controlling fevers with tylenol/motrin, and we're hoping it never happens again. Try to just give it time. I totally understand how scary it is. It took us a while to feel like things were back to normal again. You'll get there.
  • Options
    My daughter had two in April while dealing with a cold.  The first time was terrifying, but I knew what it was since it runs in my family.  After, I found out that it runs in my husband's family too.  Almost every person in our families has had them, including both of us.  The first time it happened I called 911.  The next time, we managed it at home and checked with her doctor the next morning.  Despite how it looks, we were assured by ER doctors and her doctor that she was not hurt by it, and it is just the brain's reaction to a fever spike.  It will likely happen more if it happened once, but it will be over by age 5.  Of course it is scary, and now we have to be prepared for our second daughter to have them too.  We will always have Tylenol on hand, and I will probably feel her forehead every night before bed.  There are certainly worse things to contend with.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"