Multiples
Options

Spit up help!

My girls are about 6 wks, -3 days adjusted (if that matters). Both of them spit up constantly. So different than DS & I'm trying to get used to it. The doctor chalked it up to their prematurity, but I think there may be a bigger problem. The last few days, they want to eat every hour to hour and a half and usually end up spitting it back up. It leads me to think they're not actually hungry. They seem to have some gas and I was wondering if they could have reflux. Anyone have advise? How would I actually know if it was reflux?

TTC #1 since December 2009
IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

Re: Spit up help!

• Options
    Every hour and a half seems quite often... But our DD was term, so that may be the game changer. She ate every 2-3 hours. What does your Dr say about how often or how much to feed them? That may be contributing.

Also, we were taught to feed DD with her supported and held in an almost vertical sitting position, frequent burps, and try to keep her pretty vertical for about 15 min after a meal. That might be something to try if you have the extra help to kerp them upright. DD was a singleton, the twins are still inside babies, so I'm not sure how you'd accomplish this with twins unless have with them, but it should probably be doable to keep them more vertical as they're eating at least.

Lastly, the stomach and attached muscles can be a bit underdeveloped in some babies and lead to more spit up early on that will go away as their body matures and is able to close the formula into their stomachs more effectively (and keep it from traveling back up their esophagus). It's pretty common for newborns to have spit up issues, so that's probably what your Dr is referring to.
  • Options
    tlf830tlf830 member
    we just went through this with our daughter, she was vomiting SO much that we had to go to the hospital. They said she had reflux, which I thought was weird because she was always so happy, never crying. Anyway, they put her on Alimentum formula, Pepcid drops, and some rice cereal in the bottle (the twins are 9 weeks) and, it worked!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, they don't seem to be in pain and they don't spit up all the time. It must be a growth spurt, today they're back on schedule and are back to sleeping a ton.

TTC #1 since December 2009
    IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
    7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
    It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
    FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
    FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
    Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
    IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
    Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
    Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"