May 2014 Moms
Options

Infant hearing screening

My LO did not pass his hearing screen at the hospital, and as a FTM I am starting to freak out a little bit! We set up an appt with the audiologist but not for another couple weeks! It's always nice to hear from all of you so any info, personal experience, or thoughts would help!!!!

Re: Infant hearing screening

• Options
    mcnavamcnava member
    Don't stress out too much...out of all things, hearing is not a big deal.  Mine didn't pass the first try, but passed  later.  your LO could have still had fluid or something in his ears from before the delivery.  

If he does has hearing loss...don't worry.  you have many options.  I'm a signed language interpreter in a high school, so while I don't have a child with hearing loss, I know the options and what some things mean.  

First off, there are different levels of hearing loss. I work with some students who can carry on spoken conversation just fine. They need speech therapy, but these kids function in the hearing world just fine.  Then I have some students who are completely deaf, but still are in AP level classes.  

If you have any questions about deafness and what kind of things you can do, I'm happy to talk about them...I just don't want to make you worried or anything unnecessarily.  I'm an advocate for use of sign language, but I use that with my on LO and he doesn't have any hearing loss.  Its just a great way for babies to communicate before they can speak.     
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mcnavamcnava member
    I don't need to offend...I just think that compared to other things that could happen with a baby, I don't think hearing loss alone is quite as bad.  I understand its shocking to a family and there are adjustments to be made. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mcnavamcnava member
    I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to upset people.  I just didn't want her to worry.     
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter failed hers in one ear - they retested at the hospital before we left and she passed. The pediatrician told me it can be from amniotic fluid in their ears. I hope you get good news from the audiologis. Thinking of you!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    EmmagkEmmagk member
    DS failed on one side in the hospital, he was retested yesterday and passed first time. They said it was probably fluid from birth
  • Options
    Emmagk said:

DS failed on one side in the hospital, he was retested yesterday and passed first time. They said it was probably fluid from birth

This was us kinda. One ear was really hard to get a result but he did pass after some tries.

I'm guessing they will retest your LO to see if there is any hearing difficulties. It's good they catch it early and language development is already happening and they can give you solutions to aid in development and provide you with the most information about how she will develop and what you can do at home.

But I'm sure it's all fine. Lots of babies need to be retested. Don't worry til you have to and if you have to take advantage of all the resources out there to know the best plan of action. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"