April 2014 Moms
Options

Wake up time!

Anyone have a baby that nods off during feeding and you just can't wake them to finish?

This happens especially in the MOTN but certainly happens during the day when I wake her from a nap to feed. I mean we've tried everything - moving her around, tickling, undressing, diaper change, wet cloth, etc. Nothing works.

Would you let baby sleep (MOTN or day) or continue to try? I've started giving up after a half hour of trying...but feel like I may be compromising nutrition?

Re: Wake up time!

• Options
    She did this when she was first born. Not so much anymore. If I know she'll appreciate more, I'll change her diap or tickle her to keep her eating. Otherwise, I let her go. She's not a sleepy nurser for the most part, though, so I don't run into this problem that often.
  • Options
    I wouldn't wake from a nap to feed. Unless there are weight gain issues, let a sleeping baby sleep.
    First we had you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Then we had you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Now we are complete.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member

I wouldn't wake from a nap to feed. Unless there are weight gain issues, let a sleeping baby sleep.

This for sure. DD can also be a lazy eater. I'll try to wake her by tickling her a little or moving her around, but if she's really out I let her be. She'll let me know when she's hungry! But we haven't had any weight gain issues either so your situation might be different.
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    I never just wake a sleeping baby to eat but if she wakes up for her night feeding and starts to fall asleep I'll change her diaper in the middle of it to get her to wake up. With her though if she falls asleep during a feeding she will be back up in a hour because she's hungry unless I get the full bottle in her. If she still wants to sleep after I change her diaper I just let her sleep.
  • Options
    DS falls asleep nursing often. I try to jiggle him awake, he'll take a couple glugs and go back to sleep. I figure if he were really hungry he'd stay awake and keep eating, so I don't force him.

Our 4am feeding, he's recently been passing out as soon as his face makes contact with my boob, like he needs me to sooth him back to sleep but isn't really hungry. I figure this is a baby step to sleeping through the night.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    My 6-week-old slept the entire day yesterday and had only one diaper! I was panicked by 9 pm and did everything I could think of to rouse her. Normally, I do not wake her to eat, especially since her weight gain has been good, but when there are not enough dirty/wet diapers during the day, I start worrying about dehydration.

• Options
    mrsB68mrsB68 member
    I feel less guilty letting her sleep now! Her weight gain has been good and she wets at least the minimum 6 diapers a day so I guess I'll relax.

If anyone had other techniques to keep awake feel free to share!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"