May 2014 Moms

Did anyone get an infection or some discomfort from a catheter?

Had a catheter to empty my bladder during delivery and now it hurts sometimes. It is a little uncomfortable when I pee and I do feel like I have to pee and then I don't go a full amount.

Obviously, I could call the dr, but I just was trying to see if it would pass on it's own.

Re: Did anyone get an infection or some discomfort from a catheter?

• Yes and yes. And then I got a yeast infection from the antibiotic that cured the UTI. Good times.

I always call my OB's office when I suspect even the tiniest possibility of a bladder infection. I don't mess around when it comes to my ability to pee comfortably.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Yes. I gave birth on a Sunday (and had a catheter) and the following Saturday I went to urgent care to be treated for a UTI. I would just get tested before it gets worse. Hope you feel better!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No infection but plenty of discomfort that is still lingering after a month. That was my least favorite part of labor (and I pushed out a 9 pounder and got 10 stitches)! Just awful!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Same thing, I had a catheter during labor and developed a fever, so was on antibiotics during delivery.  A week after my son was born, I still felt rotten and felt like I couldn't empty my bladder fully, so I went in to be tested for a bladder infection.  Turned out I had another fever, so even though we didn't have my urine culture results back, my doc put me on antibiotics.  In the end, my culture came back negative, but the antibiotics helped and I did start to feel better.  Overall my doctor thinks I had more of a uterine infection and probably just still had swelling in my urethra from the catheter which made passing urine difficult.  It's now been almost 4 weeks and I'm just starting to feel like I'm getting back to normal.  I think it just takes time to heal.  Which, of course, I have been impatient about - I want to feel 100% now! haha.  
  • I got a bladder infection from one of the catheters they gave me in the hospital. They caught it before I was discharged and gave me antibiotics. Also some meds to stimulate my bladder to help it regain normal function.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good to know. Hoping it goes away on its own, but will definitely check with the dr if it doesn't go away in a couple days.
  • @ellie7620‌ if I had to guess I would say mine is swelling in the urethra like you said. It kind of hurts and feels like it is pulling or off track or something. Weird!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"