May 2014 Moms

Exclusively Pumping

Just wanted to see how many of you all are out there and what your situation is...

I EP'd DS1 since he was a 32 week preemie. He got used to the bottle and would nurse but was lazy. My supply was terrible and I lasted 4 months. I was hoping BFing would go better this time, but that's not the case. DS2 was born at 36 weeks perfectly healthy - no NICU time. He had a terribly painful latch (like bloody and purple nipples on day 2 even with LC help) and so I did a little supplementing to get some relief. He then was jaundiced and stopped nursing well. I pumped and nursed for a few days but it took him forever to nurse. He would scream for a bottle afterward making feedings 1-2 hours long. I couldn't do that with a 19 month old around. I've occasionally tried nursing to see how it goes - same thing except now DS2 is battling thrush and I have it, too. So I EP and bottle feed. My supply is better this time, but still not very good. I get about 2.5-3oz. every 3 hours. I pump 7x a day and try to power pump at night. I've tried everything to increase my supply. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep it up. It was annoying but doable with DS1 but now with 2u2, it's really difficult. In addition, DS2 HATES formula. He knows immediately when his bottle has formula and will cry uncontrollably until I can finally get him to latch. He'll suck for a little bit and then freak out again. It takes forever and is miserable. We've tried a few different formulas with no avail (Gentlease, Good Start, and Enfamil Newborn). So, of course, I'd feel very guilty about stopping pumping.

So, I'm curious how much you are pumping, if you are supplementing, and what formula you are using. How long do you plan on EPing? It'd just be nice to know I'm not alone in pumping purgatory!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Exclusively Pumping

• I'm EP due to bad latch as well. My supply took a dive about 3 weeks ago but now is back up. I drink a ton of water and fenugreek 3 times a day 2 pills has really helped. Along with a beer every other day. I usually pump every 5 hours and get about 4 oz in one and 2 in the other. I plan on EP as long as I can. It sucks sometimes I wish he would just latch and make my life and his easier.. Don't worry mama you're not alone!
  • I EP by choice. DD for 16.5 months and now DS from day 3 on. Im just not a big fan of nursing directly. I dibt like how it feels, how long it takes,being the only one who can feed LO, worrying about NIP... and EP works well for me.
    I respond really well to the pump and only need to pump 2-3x a day for 20 min or less to get 30-35 oz a day. I get oversupply very easily though so I have to be careful of that. I had it with DD and donated 1100 oz to another mom and unfortunately tossed another 1000 or so that sat in the freezer too long.
    This time I already have around 750 oz in the freezer but haven't had to freeze any lately since I have gotten my oversupply under control.
    On an interesting note, DS will still nurse if he needs to, ive had him do it a time or two when it is more convenient, but that's not often. I do feel very blessed that EP works well for me and I can still give my baby the best without having to nurse all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I EP by choice as well. Currently pump about 6-7 times a day, for 15 mins and get about 38-45 oz a day. I don't really take anything for my supply, I try to drink 100oz of water a day and I drink one beer a day. I currently have about 300 oz of BM frozen. I'd like to pump until at least 6 months, then rely on my freezer milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage

• I pump all of LO's milk (she had a bad latch/was lazy from day 1) but we supplement with formula at night (mainly because I like that extra hr we get and I don't have enough supply to get her completely through the day). I have supply issues and get about 2.5-4 oz every 3 hrs. I don't even get much in that morning time when everyone says you get the highest yield of milk. Being the only one home during the day its very hard to try and keep pumping on schedule and take care of LO (I can only pump when she sleeps). I've wanted to give up so badly but can't bring myself to yet for some reason. We've seen an LC and DD latched like a pro finally but I can't seem to get her to do it at home. We try so hard but she always falls asleep or is a lazy nurser and leaves me stimulated and engorged and won't take enough for a full feeding. Then screams cause she's hungry and I'm hurting because she didn't nurse enough. So it's not working right now. I'd need someone to be home all the time for me to successfully try to get her to EBF. I have no clue how long I'll keep up with pumping, every day is different. Honestly I'd be a little sad to have my boobies go back to their normal little size :( and only using formula at night is helping us money wise. ...I HATE PUMPING!! Ugh

**Lighting a candle in memory of our angel babies and angel mama in heaven from May'14**
  • JennyinheavenJennyinheaven member
    edited June 2014
    Im mostly an ep er as well. DD was jaundiced and I had an emergency c section under general anesthesia so we never got the time together early on to develop a good latch. I pump 6 to 8 times a day and make between 2 and 5 ozs per session. She gets breast milk all day and formula for her two night feeding s, we use Similiac regular she is fine with.it after trying a few different brands. I hate being attached to the pump and have barely stocked anything away my supply just isn't great. I hope to make it to 4 months 6 would be better. Oh and I take fenugreek.
  • I EP and supplement. It was way too stressful because I was in so much pain after delivery and my nipples were hurting so bad. It was a tough decision and I cried a lot, mostly due to lack of sleep and feeling like a failure. I have been supplementing with enfamil gentlease mixing 1/2 and 1/2, and then using the premade similac for supplementation bottles for quick trips out or when we are in a pinch. I think I am going to try to dry myself up by the time I get back to work because I don't want to have to deal with the pain (physically and otherwise), and that'll be in a couple of weeks, DS is about 3wks now. I have a pretty good stash in the freezer so we will continue to mix until that runs out before completely switching to formula. I feel a lot of guilt over it all and constantly think that I'm being judged for choosing this route, but my little guy is so happy and healthy, and I'm doing so much better now, how could this not be the right thing for us?
  • I EP. Even after multiple visits to the LC and a fixed tongue tie, it was never not painful. And I didn't like being the only one who could feed him. And I don't love nursing even when it's going well. I pump 4x a day and get 4-7 oz each time. My average is 17 oz a day, and a good day yields 24. Not enough to get my son through the day without some supplementation. Occasionally I'll have extra (like once a week) and I have a tiny freezer stash. I'm so jealous of you guys who can get 30+ oz per day!!

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I EP because I could never get DS to latch. He was three weeks early and a lazy eater even with the bottle. I also have short nipples which made it even harder for him to latch. We had to give him formula because he had low blood sugar and was jaundiced so he got used to the bottle quick. I pump 7-8 times a day and get about 30 ounces. Usually that is enough for DS to eat unless he is going through a growth spurt. Sometimes we give him formula (Earth's Best) in a pinch as well. I really don't mind pumping, I wasn't too excited about BF (especially NIP) but I was set on it because of the nutritional and financial benefits, which still apply to EP'ing. I really hate when people feel sorry that I couldn't BF, because I don't feel that way at all! I hope to keep this up for at least 6 months. We will see how things go when I go back to work.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • I EP and it's been working really well. I tried to BF in the hospital but LO kept losing weight and I didn't like not knowing how much she was getting from me. Started to EP immediately after getting home from the hospital. Her weight has increased and she is eating well, so I think I made the right choice. I have a good supply - I pump 7 times a day and am able to get roughly 50oz from that. I've started a stockpile in the freezer, but am unsure how often I should be freezing - I'm just freezing randomly. How many feedings a day do you ladies freeze?
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I EP. I like it better than nursing.
    I have a shit supply though, I pump about 7 times a day and I'm lucky if I get 15 oz. I drink lots of water, take 12 fenugreek capsules a day, I take more milk plus, eat oatmeal, eat healthy...I just can't seem to get it up. I also power pump 2x a day a work.
    We supplement with formula since I don't make enough. DD gets target brand sensitive with no problems at all. She drinks anything.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have a similar situation. My son was born at 33 weeks and had a feeding tube then was transitioned to the bottle. Despite attempts, he did not have a good latch and when he did latch he was not an effective nurser. So I have been ep'ing for 13 weeks now and have been battling low supply also despite trying so many things. He is currently getting 50/50 formula/bm and I have now returned to work. I thought it was hard before, adding work to the mix makes it pretty much impossible. I feel tied to the pump my entire leave and I feel like I work so hard and its still not enough. I pump 7-9x day. And I think I am going to slowly start weaning off the pump. I feel guilty about this so much and coupled with a little guilt about returning to work, this has not been an enjoyable week. Good luck, you are not alone!
  • sws684sws684 member
    I also EP since LO was losing weight despite a "proper latch." She just got pissed every time we tried to BF & would squawk. I also am loathing being attached to a sexy (not) pumping bra and pump!!! I also cried because my supply seems to be struggling to keep up w her current growth spurt! I'm getting it back up, but it takes a few days! I also am stress and scared of feeling like a failure if we were to switch to or even supplement with formula. As I realize it's not battery acid, I struggle with the idea somehow. As of today, I get about 3oz every couple hours or 6oz after 4 hours. We can do this!!! I'm going crazy but am determined! Like hubby says, it's not the end of the world to supplement.
  • I'm joining the EP club ladies - and I'm surprisingly okay with it (I thought I would be a lot harder on myself). LO has never had a great latch and we've been using a nipple shield on and off. I'm tired of the shield and I have seen an LC every week for this first month. Breastfeeding has never been the relaxing, bonding experience I thought it would be, and if anything, baby and I are usually both so frustrated with it that I think it's actually making me resent my baby. I need to fix this.

We had his tongue and lip ties clipped in hopes of improving BFing, but now it's even worse. I went to see the LC again today and she said to give it another month with the nipple shield to see if things improve. Mentally, I cannot give this another month. After she also suggested I should take my baby to a massage therapist to help BFing, I decided that it just should be this hard.

Since LO hasn't been taking my breast for 2 days I've been pumping and supplementing with formula. Everyone in my house is so much happier. We slept better, we're calmer and I didn't cry today. I cried about BFing everyday. If I pump before bed/last feeding (midnight) and then first thing in the morning I can get 5 oz + 7-8 oz from those two pumps. So I think if I pump 3-4 times a day I can get enough for LO to eat in a day, and small amounts to freeze. My husband and I are both okay with supplementing 1-2 feeds a day with formula if need be (the cost kind of sucks, but I've also already spent a ton of BFing stuff). I'm really hoping that I can get a good daily supply from pumping on a few times, just because I don't know how I would find the time each day to pump for each feeding.

Wish me luck, I will probably have 1000 questions in the coming weeks!!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • @RachelCA29‌ those are the same feelings I had. It was not a wonderful bonding experience for me. I cried all the time and we were both frustrated. I was miserable.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"