May 2013 Moms
Options

Relocating ; SC moms please come in!

So we currently live in NY and DH just lost his job. For the longest time we have been back and forth with moving to South Carolina. The cost of living is a lot cheaper then what we are used to. There were quite a few job opportunities offered to me and one of them is just way to good to pass up. I've lived in NY my whole life so as much as I want to leave I'm a bit nervous.

So i was wondering if there are any moms familiar with Mount Pleasant / Charleston area. Any insight is appreciated!! Pros / Cons , school systems etc.

TIA

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Relocating ; SC moms please come in!

• Options
    I'm originally from NY and we now live in NC (although only 23miles from the SC border). Charleston is a beautiful area. The cost of living is so much better than NY. Not to mention people are friendly. Before NC we had lived in GA, LA, CA and AZ so we were fairly used to being the new people in town. If you're going to buy a new home than a good realtor will help you find a good area. If renting my rule of thumb is to live near nice things. Trendy/local restaurants, upscale malls, parks etc. Example. When we moved to NC I was here for all of 18 hours to interview for my job and 14 of that was spent in a hotel room. We came on a weekend and drove around and looked at apartments all over the city. We finally found an area where we felt comfortable. We lived there for 10 months and by then felt we knew the area enough to know where we wanted to buy our house.

I know in Charleston (and most older southern cities) the neighborhoods stop and start abruptly. You'll be in a nice part and then all of a sudden you're not. It may sound odd but I saw the mall had a Neiman Marcus and I was like "well this has to be a nice area to support that store" and we got our place right around there. I've done that in both Phoenix and now Charlotte and both places I've been happy with our choice.
  • Options
    kcwnckcwnc member
    I live in WNC, and have heard Charleston has an even larger tourist influx than our area. Which means lots to see and do during the summer and a major drop in job opportunities and activities in the cooler months.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have one very good friend in Mt Pleasant and another good friend in Goose Creek, neither are originally from the area, and both like it a lot! Good luck with the move and congrats on the new job!

And Charleston is a nice city, if you haven't been.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No specific info to add but we moved to Raleigh (NC ) about 3 years ago...I was really aiming for Charleston but Raleigh was as far south as I could get my H. I've been to the city a few times and fell in love. Congrats and good luck with the move.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    ALP514ALP514 member
    Thanks for your responses ladies. Sorry for doing a post and run but these few days have been so hectic and overwhelming I didn't get a chance to bump!

@pcat13 that is a great idea ! I didn't think about that, thank you.

@emmy236 I do the same thing!! Being in a nice , safe area is important to me so I analyze everything lol

I never realized how hard this was going to be and how hectic!!

Thanks again everyone!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"