Potty Training
Options

Potty Training A Speech Delayed Toddler

My daughter is 3 and she is speech delayed (goes to therapy for this). She is just starting to talk more but it's still mostly on an you ask, she'll tell basis not spontaneously talking. That being said, we've been working on potty training with her for the past few months and we take her every 45 minutes to an hour and she normally pees. However, I want to extend this time out and work on getting her to either say or sign "potty" when she needs to go. I know there will be times that she goes in her pull up and I'm wondering how to handle that with her? I ready somewhere along the way that you shouldn't yell or punish them for going potty in their pull up so I never did that but I'm wondering if being a little firmer with her would be more effective? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty Training A Speech Delayed Toddler

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I PT (daytime, naps and bedtime) my kids "young"- 17 months, 15 months & 14 months and at their age they were not big talkers at all.  I never did pull ups (we used CD so I never saw a difference in a pull up), we just did underwear.  Anyways with my 17 & 15 month old we did the timer method- first day only was 30 min, 2nd day 45 min, 3rd day 1 hour and then kept increasing until we got to 2 hours.  Because of their age, I figured I would just take them every 2 hours (not to mention at their ages they said maybe 5 words).  However within the week they got sick of me telling them when to go and started to tell me (they said "potty").  With my 14 month old she was the most verbal of all my kids and didn't like the timer method so I just did the naked method for a few days and then put her in underwear (she had 1 pee on the floor accident).  She never verbally told us- when she had to go she just walked herself to the bathroom (& because of her age, we would have to help her on the potty).  She's now 18 months old and is just now verbally telling us.

My point of the story is you don't have to be verbal to be PT.  And being the age of your DD I think you should have more confidence in her.  Either do naked time or put her in underwear and remind her to keep her underwear dry.  She needs to be able to listen to the feelings in her body to tell her when to go.  Congratulate her after 1 hour for dry underwear.   Let her know if she has to go potty to either say "potty" or she's not able to to just walk to the potty.  I'm guessing your issues are the pullups are really no different from diapers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"