Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

diaper fit?

So everyone tells me the diaper should be above the belly button (cord has fallen off).  However DD's belly is so distended we can't get it to fit.  Ped says belly is normal, so how do other people deal with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: diaper fit?

• Options
    What size diaper are you using?  Do you need to size up?
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    We just upgraded to size 1. Size 0 was getting too small, size 1 seems long enough but the crotch bulges more than I'd expect.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure what going up a size would do, the 1's will fit around her belly, but slide right off it because of the distention. My OP should have said STAY around the belly, not fit!
  • Options
    I recommended bigger diapers because usually whenever there is an issue with diapers fitting or leaking, the answer is to go up a size.   You can also try a different brand because they do fit slightly differently.  And the weight ranges on the pack are basically meaningless (ours is about 12 pounds and is wearing size 3 which is supposed to start at 16 lbs).   

Have you tried Huggies?  They have an elasticized back, so maybe you could get them to stay up.   I don't see why they would necessarily have to go up that high, especially for a girl (where it's more important to have absorbency lower in the crotch, unlike boys who need it more in front).  So you could try folding them down below her belly like you did when she still had her cord stump. And if she's laying down most of the time, or being held, or wearing a onesie, then I can't imagine it would really slide off??

imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    The diaper doesn't come off, it's just the waistband doesn't stay on the belly, it tends to slip down, which means it's no longer tight.  She's barely 8lb, I can't see her going to a size 2 yet, we have a couple of packs from friends and they're HUGE on her.

If keeping them below the belly button is fine, I'm cool with doing that, we get a good fit with the size 1s that way, I was just worried because everyone says you're supposed to have them sit up high. 

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    As long as you aren't having a leak issue I don't think it matters where the diaper sits on the belly.
    image    image

• Options
    My LO is 3 weeks old and 9 lbs. I have her in size 1s and fold them below her belly button for a tight fit.
  • Options
    nb are definitely too small.  Thanks for the pointers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"