Multiples

Twins?

Hello!

I am wondering if the odds are higher of dropping 2 eggs the first ovulation postpartum? We have a 4 month old son, Jack and I am currently 6 weeks pregnant! We are so excited!

For only being 6 weeks, it seems as though I've already started to show. I know that this happens earlier in a second pregnancy but this early?! I have also been having a lot of cramping and have had the feeling of being sea sick all throughout the day.

Any of you lovely ladies who have had twins and a singleton, did you experience different symptoms early on between the two? Just looking for personal experiences and thoughts, I know every pregnancy is different! :)

I have a gut feeling there's two but my first ultrasound will not be until the second week of July!

Thanks!

Re: Twins?

• edited June 2014
    First congrats on your pregnancy! the picture attached is me 24 weeks with my twins ( my second pregnancy) as you can see size has nothing to do with how many are in there it all depends on how your uterus is laying and the fact that you are only 4 months pp has a lot more to do with it because those muscles are still incredibly relaxed. I was much larger with my first (a singleton) than twins.

My symptoms were exactly like my singleton. So I can't speak for that.

You have about a 3% chance of having twins with any cycle unless you had IVF and transfered more than one embryo. Breastfeeding or not it without the aide of fertility treatments you will always have a 3% chance of conceiving multiples and a 97% of having a singleton.

In the almost year and a half I have been on this board not a single person who had a gut feeling ever came back. Not to say it can't happen but 100% of the time so far it has not. Keep us updated even if it's just one :) it's always nice to hear that you have a healthy viable pregnancy going on twins or not.

Congrats again!!

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
    [Deleted User]KatieGummowcurlylocks3brusch
  • I had morning sickness this time around and I didn't with my other two. I was also showing earlier (not 6 weeks, though) but I still never felt it was twins. I just thought it was my third time and every pregnancy is different. We didn't find out it was twins until 17 weeks and were very surprised. I had no gut feeling or intuition.
  • Loading the player...
  • brusch said:

Hello!

I am wondering if the odds are higher of dropping 2 eggs the first ovulation postpartum? We have a 4 month old son, Jack and I am currently 6 weeks pregnant! We are so excited!

For only being 6 weeks, it seems as though I've already started to show. I know that this happens earlier in a second pregnancy but this early?! I have also been having a lot of cramping and have had the feeling of being sea sick all throughout the day.

Any of you lovely ladies who have had twins and a singleton, did you experience different symptoms early on between the two? Just looking for personal experiences and thoughts, I know every pregnancy is different! :)

I have a gut feeling there's two but my first ultrasound will not be until the second week of July!

Thanks!

Congrats on your pg!

KatieGummowTheDairyQueenx3brusch
  • Congrats on your pregnancy. If you have a 4 month old son and are 6 weeks pregnant chances are your body still hasn't bounced back from the last pregnancy. You're body doesn't forget either. And your muscles haven't tightened back up yet. I got pg with this singleton 15 months after my twins were born and my stomach seemed to say hey I remember this. Alright let's go. I had so much more bloat this time around too so I felt bigger faster. Fwiw I had no idea I was pregnant with twins till my 10 week dating u/s. I was hardly even showing till 16 weeks.

amandam1982brusch
  • "Hello! I am wondering if the odds are higher of dropping 2 eggs the first ovulation postpartum?"

No, time from your first pregnancy doesn't increase your odds.

I don't have the experience your asking for, but from all the research I have read it is what the PPs said, genetic disposition and/or fertility (including birth control pills) increases your chances.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Let us know either way!!
    image    image    image    image

• Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Size doesn't have anything to do with how many babies you are having, especially this early. It's all bloat at this point, plus it's such a short time after your other pregnancy, so those are factors that go into your "size" at this point.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • megs2011 said:

Congrats on your pregnat If you have a 4 month old son and are 6 weeks pregnant chances are your body still hasn't bounced back from the last pregnancy. You're body doesn't forget either. And your muscles haven't tightened back up yet. I got pg with this singleton 15 months after my twins were born and my stomach seemed to say hey I remember this. Alright let's go. I had so much more bloat this time around too so I felt bigger faster. Fwiw I had no idea I was pregnant with twins till my 10 week dating u/s. I was hardly even showing till 16 weeks.

Ditto this. Your body hasn't had time to heal and go back to "normal." Congrats either way.
  • Have you had your beta's done. Those numbers would be more reliable to determine if your potentially pregnant with multiples vs. looking at your body.
        BFP: 2/24/14 | EDD: 10/22/14 (triplets) 
    US (with RE) 3/24/2014 (two healthy HB), US (with OB) 3/31/2014 (three healthy heartbeats)

US (with RE) 4/7/14 No Heartbeats :(  | D&C 4/8/14
    BFP#2: 10/22/14 | (beta  #1 75, beta # 2 219) | EDD 7/3/15 ~*Please be our RAINBOW*~
    DX: MTHFR hetero C677T

• I thought betas didn't mean anything? I never had them done and am ignorant about the whole thing.

• DenaMaree said:

Have you had your beta's done. Those numbers would be more reliable to determine if your potentially pregnant with multiples vs. looking at your body.

Even that won't tell. Betas CANNOT indicate multiples reliably at all. Many MoMs have low to mid range HCG numbers and singleton pregnancies can result in super high HCG as well. Betas are only good for determining if a pregnancy is progressing (doubling time), nothing else.

OP like pretty much everyone else has said, it's far more likely your bloat bump is showing earlier because your body has only had 3mos recovery time. Your chances are 3%. Symptoms, betas, gut feelings, family history...none of that can tell you if you have multiples. Only an ultrasound can.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
    KatieGummowTheDairyQueenx3[Deleted User]Mrs.Guz
  • DenaMaree said:

Have you had your beta's done. Those numbers would be more reliable to determine if your potentially pregnant with multiples vs. looking at your body.

Why... Why do people think or assume this?! Every time I see someone say this I get more annoyed than the "omg it's it twinzzzzz!!?!?"

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
    24karat[Deleted User]
  • DenaMaree said:

Why... Why do people think or assume this?! Every time I see someone say this I get more annoyed than the "omg it's it twinzzzzz!!?!?"
    I think it's just one of those popular misconceptions that just run rampant. More babies mean more symptoms, earlier symptoms, higher HCG, showing early, etc...you name it, people just assume it makes sense when it really is illogical if you actually look at the science.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    [Deleted User]absolutelymaybe
  • OP I forgot to add that IF there was an increased likelihood of hyperovulation linked to postpartum cycles, there would be a heck of a lot more twins/triplets conceived by STMs.

imageimage
    [Deleted User]curlylocks3
  • Have you had your beta's done. Those numbers would be more reliable to determine if your potentially pregnant with multiples vs. looking at your body.

Not true. My betas this time were in the "twin" range. Only one baby in there.

• Ditto, on the betas thing...and morning sickness is no sign either.  My betas were on the low end and I had no morning sickness.  Until my 8w U/S, I wasn't even sure I was still pregnant.  Not only was I still pg, but there were 2 and both thriving.  The only way to know for sure is u/s.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Well, if you eat more, show sooner, wish hard, throw up, AND your son prays to God for twins, then you will have twins.

It's a scientific fact.

You forgot the dreams!  You can't have twins without the twins dreams!   :P

I am so embarrassed I forgot the dreams!!!

absolutelymaybe

• Well, if you eat more, show sooner, wish hard, throw up, AND your son prays to God for twins, then you will have twins.

It's a scientific fact.

You forgot the dreams!  You can't have twins without the twins dreams!   :P
    I am so embarrassed I forgot the dreams!!!

Um, DH and a cousin-in-law must have twins run in the family too. Genetics yo. ;)

imageimage
    [Deleted User]
  • Actually if you are nursing your 4 month old the chance of hyper ovulation is very good new studies show you are 9x more likely to hyper ovulate if you are nursing a baby. Our DD will be 3 in December and she is still nursing alot during the day and I am pregnant with twins so I did some research. That's what I came up with. I hope it helps and maybe eases your mind some. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"