June 2014 Moms

Colic support

DH and I are convinced that little man has colic. He's almost three weeks so it's pretty early but he has All the symptoms: screaming several hours a night, clenched fists, flushed face, extreme gas. Trying to breast feed during one of his fits is close to impossible. Throw in a nipple shield that keeps coming off and there are times I'm ready to bottle feed. Dh did give him a bottle yesterday and I noticed he had trouble taking my breast at the next feeding. I am looking for any support or advice from other moms with colicky or extremely fussy newborns.
First time mommy-to-be
E.D.D. June 1, 2014

Re: Colic support

• I'm right there with you. LO is four weeks old, has terrible gas and fussy. Arches his back, sleeps very little... It's exhausting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
    edited June 2014
    @rachelnjacob‌ was your baby born via c section by any chance or breech? How are you staying sane?

First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • My now 3 year old dd had colic bad! It started at 4 weeks old. She screamed from 5pm to 10pm. I talked to my doctor about it and said it was the classic description of colic. It lasted about 4 months. My mil told me that it seems like a lifetime while you go through it but when it's over it was a very small part of their lives. Which is true. So far my LO is 2 weeks old and I hope we can avoid it. I just posted this on another thread but I used this polish tea for babies. It helped so so much. I used to call it Miracle tea. I think the baby has to be 2 months old to use. It's called bobo vita. It's all in polish so you have to google it to read all the instructions. I gave it to my baby and it helped her to pass gas and she would stop crying. It really worked wonders. I started it at 8 weeks in the evening about a hour before she would start crying.
    https://www.polishhypermarkets.com/en/tea/baby-tea/bobovita-camomile-instant-tea-200g-7-05oz.html
  • I had colic until almost 16 weeks....according to my baby book chamomile tea helped, and for some reason the only thing that made me stop screaming is when my grandpa would lay me out tummy-down across his big belly.  Maybe it felt soothing to me? 

• @ElTrain5‌ yes chamomile tea works. It's in the bobo vita tea I posted above. My grandma used it on my aunt and my aunt used it on her now 24 year old daughter and they told me to get it for my dd. I think the old remedies work best
  • Anyone hear of "period of purple cry" my hospital makes u watch a movie before u go home.

Gripe water helps my LO with gas. She was so mad and straining so hard to poop I did digital stimulation and it worked in min and we got 9 hours of sleep :)
  • Gripe water has definitely helped. The last few days have gone better, and my dr suggested eliminating dairy out of my diet for a few weeks and see if that helps him. I want to see my baby happy!
  • Thanks for this thread! My son seems to have most of the colic symptoms, which is frustrating. I want to enjoy this time, not wish it away!! (Which is what I'm doing now!)
  • Has anyone tried Colief?  I stumbled upon it at Walgreen's this morning and thought, what the hell.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I did some reading about Colief and plan to pick some up, too.  They say that in 38% of colic cases, the problem is with digesting the lactose in mom's milk, and the drops are supposed to help those 38%. If they don't help within a week or so, your LO's colic is, according to them, attributable to something else. 38% is a high enough number that I'm willing to shell out the $12 to try!

I've also started my LO (who is only two weeks, but already showing colicky symptoms, ack!) on the Gerber Soothe probiotic drops, which are supposed to really help with tummy issues-- when LO's tummy feels okay, he's a delight. When it doesn't he's a little terror. Just started yesterday, am hoping it helps.

Karen + Tim  8/17/13
    BLUE baby on the way 6/17/14
  • We started the Colief drops this morning.  Keeping all of my fingers and toes crossed that it works.  I am about to lose my mind.  D is miserable every moment he's awake and he rarely sleeps longer than an hour at a time.  Literally every second of my day is spent either trying to keep him from screaming or trying to get him to sleep/stay asleep.  I can't take much more!

• I posted this also on the newbie with outside babies thread (I'm wondering if I should make it it's own post?)

My LO has been very gassy and colicky in nature during the evenings and I found this massage video very helpful. Helps her relieve the has and I normally get a really big poopy diaper with 30 minutes.

https://youtu.be/iKQr_Tc6Ko0
  • I was hoping to not join this colic support thread since my last DD had it bad!! But it looks like it's happening anyway. My LO screamed for about 2 hours last night. I used the little remedies gripe water and it seemed to only help for about 10 minutes and them right back to screaming she went. It lasted 3 months with my DD1 and this LO has been showing signs for a week or so and last night it was full blown. Ugh!! I was praying this baby wouldn't have it. It was so bad last time. We were pulling our hair out. And I couldn't really leave the house bc my husband would keep calling me and would want me to come home. At least I know what it is this time.
  • I don't want to jinx myself but... 24 hours in using a combo of Colief and Mylicon drops and D seems to be much more calm.  I was able to actually rock him to sleep last night!  (Usually he fights and screams and struggles until I get up and bounce the crap out of him, so this was a huge victory).  This morning he ate, laid on his activity mat with me for a bit, and then easily went down for a nap - with NO SCREAMING!  I'm actually enjoying him rather than just trying to keep him happy.

@yayksimp @emilyh107 Have you started using them yet?  Any changes?

• DS1 had colic along with acid reflux, it was the most trying 4 months of my life and threatened my marriage since DH and I were both so stressed and felt like failures, so big hugs to those of you going through that now. Good news is, they do outgrow it and DS1 was a super happy easy baby/toddler once it was over. We used the 5 S methods from Happiest baby on the block which helped a ton. But nothing took it all away so my best advice is to ask for help and take breaks from baby when needed. Don't feel bad about needing help/breaks, you are a great mom even though it's hard to feel that way when LO is screaming and you can't help them.
    It will get better with time and eventually you will forget about the colic days.

@danielle4348‌ - I could have written this. My baby has colick and terrible acid reflux. DH and I are snappy with each other often and we are exhausted. I resent the fact that he gets to sleep because he works and I'm on maternity leave.. My baby never sleeps for more than 2 hours at a time. I'm so tired. If it does get better like you say than maybe we can get through this... It's only temporary and I'll try and remind myself!
    Thank you!
  • When LO is throwing a colicky fit and I'm feeding him he gets wild. Has anyone else experienced this? He rears his head, bites nipple, flails limbs, grunts..very odd. Had DH give him a bottle to top him off tonight since he was not satisfied by nursing.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• We had been using gas drops, but after 4 hours of screaming this evening, we tried the gripe water. He settled down within 10 minutes and went to sleep! Who knows, maybe he was exhausted from today's tantrum, but at least the gripe water seemed to help. I was a crying mess earlier, the screaming lasts for hours every single day and I just can't take much more. Trying to get through it!

<3

• Colic sucks! I keep asking why..why is this happening? Such a bad day uncontrollable crying all day
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• laramtlaramt member
    Does anyone know if we can use the little remedies gas drops and gripe water together? I'm going to go and find the colief today and pray that it helps him.
  • I'm not sure if we have colic over here or just a really long witching hour. He'll calm down a bit with bouncy walking for a bit, but not long. I know we're dealing with over supply and oald, but those are beginning to get better and he's not. Its every night for a good couple of hours. Does this sound like colic?

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• We use gas drops and Enfamil gentle ease and seems to be helping.
  • We also use vacum white noise that I downloaded on iTunes it's GREAT! It's called Colic Sweep! Best $10 I ever spent! Turn it up LOUD, swaddle, give pacifier and rock/jiggle or put in vibrating bassinet and watch magic happen! Happiest Baby on the Block!
  • Last night was our worst night yet, I'm getting teary just thinking about it.  He full on screamed from 8pm to midnight.  At one point, he was red as a tomato from screaming so much.  We did absolutely everything we could think of... fed, changed diaper, rocked him, sang to him, white noise, bath time, massaging back and feet.  We're currently supplementing with Nutramigen, in case he's having a dairy problem, but that certainly didn't work last night.  Ugh, holy heartbreaking :(

<3

• kks4471 said:

Last night was our worst night yet, I'm getting teary just thinking about it.  He full on screamed from 8pm to midnight.  At one point, he was red as a tomato from screaming so much.  We did absolutely everything we could think of... fed, changed diaper, rocked him, sang to him, white noise, bath time, massaging back and feet.  We're currently supplementing with Nutramigen, in case he's having a dairy problem, but that certainly didn't work last night.  Ugh, holy heartbreaking :(

Sorry to hear this! I know how you feel! Try gripe water...we tried it twice for nights like you described and it really calmed him down. I used the Little Tummies/Remedies.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• We did gripe water and gas drops last night, should have written that in my post.  They were no help ;(  He's doing ok tonight, will see if we can easily put him to bed.

<3

• @kks4471‌ good luck
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• laramtlaramt member
    I've been using colief for just over a week now. Expressing an oz before a feed and using 4 drops mixed in with the fore milk. He has been amazing ever since. No more signs of colic. I use gripe water in conjunction on really bad days, but not often does that happen.
  • I never had a true colic diagnosis with my first son but I knew something was not right. Now I don't know if it's true colic or witching hour. Does not follow the rule of 3, 3 hours, 3 days , 3 weeks. He is definetly extremely gassy, has explosive farts all day long. Wants to be held upright overt shoulder only at night. I love this thread.
  • How did you guys know your LO has colic? Mine literally cried every second she was awake today. Gas drops helped calm her for about 10 minutes. She tends to do this every 2 to 3 days. She also flails her arms and pulls her legs up all the time when she's crying. And it's not always just crying, sometimes it's outright screaming.
    Inconsolable screaming for more than 3 hours at a time, at least 3 times a week, for over 3 weeks of life is the "rule of 3s".  My LO screams so hard, I can't even describe it.  Nothing we do will stop it.  He's been like this since birth, and is now 5 weeks old.  He used to scream every night. but we started supplementing last week and he's actually had a few nights off from terror.  We're hoping that he's finally feeling better and will stop the screaming.

<3

• Bad night for us. LO had been inconsolable for an hour. Trying white noise and pacifier. Hoping we don't go the rest of the night like this. Poor guy. He seems so miserable.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Here's a really interesting article suggesting that colic is not a tummy problem but more of a migraine problem due to overstimulation. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827825?nlid=60983_1842&src=wnl_edit_medp_wir&spon=17#2
  • Mrs.C.V. said:
    Here's a really interesting article suggesting that colic is not a tummy problem but more of a migraine problem due to overstimulation. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/827825?nlid=60983_1842&src=wnl_edit_medp_wir&spon=17#2
    I had heard about this thought too, but I'm not really convinced.  DS woke up screaming Saturday at 6am, after a 4 hour stretch of sleep.  Normally his bad time is in the evening, but for some reason he was really upset Saturday morning.  Who knows :/

<3

• It's just so confusing. The swing is helping a lot.
  • cas889cas889 member

@rachelnjacob‌ was your baby born via c section by any chance or breech? How are you staying sane?

I'm just now finding this thread and am going that some of these tips help!

@JmeJoLee83‌ - why did you ask about c-sections and breech?
    image image

• Hi all.. Figured its time I join the group. We've had a hard time with our 4 week old DD. She screams bloody murder and the only things that console her are nursing & cuddling me. Started giving gripe at 2 weeks then switched to a colic drop product called Dentinox. We like it because we can give her more and it's kind of gel like and sticks to her soother well. White noise apps are also a godsend. Yesterday at the Dr, they think she might have acid reflux. Let's hope the meds help. I'm also cutting caffeine, chocolate and dairy from my diet.
  • cas889 said:

I'm just now finding this thread and am going that some of these tips help!

@JmeJoLee83‌ - why did you ask about c-sections and breech?
    Just curious after doing some reading about c sections (which I had). Apparently baby may come out more startled than vaginal birth which could lead to more crying (chance of colic). My doc did not agree though.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• JmeJoLee83JmeJoLee83 member
    edited July 2014
    Anyone reach the 6-8 week super fussy period? Mix this with colic and baby is screaming And crying all day long when not sleeping or eating. This is so crazy hard.
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• Anyone reach the 6-8 week super fussy period? Mix this with colic and baby is screaming And crying all day long when not sleeping or eating. This is so crazy hard.

LO turned 6 weeks on Friday, and omg it was horrible!!! SO fussy all day, then screamed from 7pm to midnight. I think it was a growth spurt too, because he fed for hours during the day. Any time he wasn't eating, he was whining. I've been writing daily notes on him for the doctor, so we can try and figure out what to do. The good thing is yesterday was much better, I was able to leave him with DH and go to an afternoon pool party. There's hope lol!

<3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"