Preemies
Options

Questions about what you would do?

So a little about me I had a preemie in 2012 and just had my second June 2nd. She was born at 33 weeks 2 days she's doing really good she did have a infection they almost missed but is now doing better.

She has been taking my milk by a bottle nipple not the whole feeding but at least 5cc. The doctor did stop that a few days just so she can get her energy back. Yesterday the doctor said if the nurse feels she's alert or up to try and nipple again. But it's up to the nurses. Well here's the problem some of the nurses hate there jobs and are lazy. Example before she got sick she nipple almost all her feedings. Well a 2nd shift nurse and night nurse just tubed all her feedings saying she was tired well I go up and feed her she downed her bottle in 3 mins. The nurse said oh she wouldn't for me.

Today i said ok let's do what the doctor wants and try to feed her by nipple she said if she shows signs and if your here. Wtf how hard is it to spend 15 mins there trying. Another night this nurse was giving my daughter her meds and a nurse comes in and said wow your popular phone call again can you take it? The nurse said yes leaves the meds in my daughters iv and goes to take the call. I'm really thinking I should speak up and call their manager.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble but things have to change. Not feeding because they don't want to, leaving meds in her iv and not cleaning up old blood from changing her iv is crazy. I spoke up with my son and he got worse care after that so I don't want the same thing to happen to her. I also can't be up there all the time because I have two small kids with no help. And i already feel super guilty and beat myself up.

Re: Questions about what you would do?

• Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Wow, that sounds terrible and I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. I would bring it up with the charge nurse and head neonatologist for sure. Is it the same NICU where your son was two years ago? Hopefully you would be assigned nurses who are more...proactive? Would that be the right word? Like in our NICU all the nurses were fantastic, but there were some who I'd hear chatting with other nurses a lot or see them looking at their phones or talking on the phone with their families. They were still attentive, there were just others who were more attentive. There are also some nurses who are just more "by the books" and will do things exactly how they're supposed to be done. So hopefully by voicing your concerns you can get your daughter better care.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you yes unfortunately it is the same nicu. But at that time it was only two nurses. This time they must remember from the last time because the one never has my daughter. But now it's one on 1st shift, one on 2nd shift and so far all the 3rd shift nurses has used the ng tube only and the one left dry blood all over her after she did her iv which we still don't know why she changed because it was just changed that morning and it was fine (I talked to the nurse before she got on) and the nurse that put it in said it was a great iv. She went as far to look in her chart to see why and no reason was given.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my NICU and them not trying to give him the bottle. Whenever I was there I would tell them that we were trying the bottle and that was it. It's better to try then not at all, if baby is too tired you stop. A couple nurses he had wouldn't even try unless I was there. I talked to the charge nurse and she did nothing. I'm not sure what you should do. your situation is tough because you've already seen them give one of your children worse treatment after speaking up. Good luck in whatever you decide to do
    image image
    Married 8/9/13
    Ashton James Rogers 10/29/13

image  image
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    Talk to the charge nurse about your concerns. Hopefully she should be able to help.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm so sorry you're having a rough time! Speak up--you are your baby's biggest advocate! If something makes you uncomfortable, ask to talk to someone in charge. If you aren't satisfied with what they say, find someone else.

We had the opposite issue--OT wouldn't give the order to do full time oral feeds (they made the call) and it got to the point the nurses even noticed and thought my LO was being treated differently. They spoke up for us and I was so grateful for someone else to advocate with me. Find someone you trust and enlist their help speaking up.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"