November 2014 Moms
Options

Washing Glider Cushions

Hello ladies! I was hoping some of you might have advice/experience for me. I just got a Dutailier glider and ottoman off of craigslist for $100 (score!). It wasn't used much, but the previous owners had it in storage for 5 years without any protective cover and the tan cushions got dusty/grimy. The covers come off of the ottoman and  seat cushion, but the back cushion doesn't come off. Plus, after 5 years in the back of a garage, the cushions themselves could probably us a good cleaning. 

Do any of you have experience cleaning Dutailier cushions? I googled around and found some people just put them in the washer while others find a dry cleaner/upholstery cleaner who will wash them. I like the tan cushions and would be happy with them cleaned up. I don't want to spend as much cleaning the cushions as I did on the set!
~~Signature~~
Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
**TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

Re: Washing Glider Cushions

• Options
    Depending on how bad they are you might be able to steam clean them... personally I would reupholser them, it's easy to to and all the fabric would be new.
    I might do that down the road for sure! Not sure if I want to tackle that project right now or not....
    ~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• Options
    I'd probably steam clean then might consider reupholstering.  (But by the time you do all that... you might as well have bought a new one!)

But yeah -- the steam cleaning would probably be a must for me.  Not just for looks, either.  But things can get mildewy while in storage for that long (especially if in a damp basement, garage or shed.)  I would want to know the thing was clean inside and out. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just so happen to have the same brand of glider that we washed the cousins for! My mom is doing it since it is back home now, but she said they are turning out beautiful!!! I was blessed to get an entire nursery of beautiful furniture for free and this was one of the pieces!!

She put one piece at a time in the washer ln delicate. Some of the pieces got fabric softener, she forgot in the beginning. My sister has a huge front loader. I am pretty sure she let them air dry.

We also found a place online that sells replacement coushins. They are a bit pricey, but still WAY cheaper than buying the same glider. This is our plan B if they don't all turn out. She is about halfway done with them.

https://www.nurturecenter.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=462
  • Options
    No advice, but everyone told me I didn't need a glider and I will tell you that it is still DS favorite part of the day when we rock before bed.  He is big enough now that we set up a book shelf next to it that he can reach and he gets up in there by himself and rocks and my heart just melts.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    KLKilgore said:
    I just so happen to have the same brand of glider that we washed the cousins for! My mom is doing it since it is back home now, but she said they are turning out beautiful!!! I was blessed to get an entire nursery of beautiful furniture for free and this was one of the pieces!! She put one piece at a time in the washer ln delicate. Some of the pieces got fabric softener, she forgot in the beginning. My sister has a huge front loader. I am pretty sure she let them air dry. We also found a place online that sells replacement coushins. They are a bit pricey, but still WAY cheaper than buying the same glider. This is our plan B if they don't all turn out. She is about halfway done with them. https://www.nurturecenter.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=462
    It's good to know they survived the washer, when I googled that I got mixed reviews!
    ~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• Options
    Start with a small piece, arm rest or ottoman, and see how they then out. The place online will send you samples of the fabric. Some were really nice! If we didn't have to pay to ship it all down here I probably would have just bought new ones.
  • Options
    Just curious to hear how the larger cushions turned out from a regular/delicate run through the washing machine. We are having the same predicament here in finding a viable solution to cleaning our glider cushions--our glider was also in storage for a while. We just put the arm rests and the ottoman cover (which did zip off) in the wash and we'll see how they'll turn out. 

Thank you.
  • Options
    I ended up getting an upolstry cleaner to scrub down the back cushion rather than washing it. It worked out better than I expected.
    ~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• Options
     I used to wash mine and they did fine on gentle cycle, air dry. I have since recovered them (ok, my handy mom did!) so now I just wash the cover.

I think JCPenneys online has cushions that arent' too expensive.

If you know someone with a bissel carpet cleaning machine (or something like it) maybe you could borrow it and clean it with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"