May 2014 Moms

Cues on when to switch formula

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Cues on when to switch formula

• We switched from regular to sensitive when DD seemed gassy and constipated.
    Maybe try the sensitive version of whatever brand you use before completely switching to a new brand?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Blowouts are part for the course at this age, regardless of the baby's food source(s). They're going to happen no matter what.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think blowouts are normal, regardless of formula brand or BFing. We switched to sensitive from the regular bc it was making LO very constipated and very, very gassy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I think blowouts are normal, regardless of formula brand or BFing.

This. Not a formula feeder but check the size of diaper. Too small causes blow outs.

I hear gas and constipation are factors.

Must be hard to tell. Since babies are gassy anyway :(
  • I switched to lactose free after lots of gas, fussines, green watery stools with undigested formula in it. And only sleeping for twenty min at a time until the belly pains started.
    Good luck if you need to switch. Sometimes a tough call to make
  • Constipation, lots of reflux, severe gas or diarrhea- meaning three runny or loose BMs in the span of 2-3 hours for over 48n hours. Similac gave our first DS the latter 2, and Enfamil made him super constipated. Supplementing similac with DS2 this time and so far no problems.
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • When you are switching to formula from bf how many days should we allow to even out? We are using about 1-2 bottles of similac supplementation since Sunday and she is still having gas pains. I have the sensitive similac but am wondering if I should give it more than 3 days?
  • Lizmullen said:

When you are switching to formula from bf how many days should we allow to even out? We are using about 1-2 bottles of similac supplementation since Sunday and she is still having gas pains. I have the sensitive similac but am wondering if I should give it more than 3 days?

I switched bf to strictly formula at 2 weeks. It took about a week for her tummy to adjust. I'm now considering switching to sensitive at 8 weeks because we are having more of the same issues (poops only every 3 days, fussy gas & really fussy poops, consistency is fine though.)

Honestly I have no idea if I need to switch or not, but I've been told to give it at least a week or two any time you switch. (Unless there is an allergic reaction of course.)
  • I would speak to the pedi if you feel the need to switch to make sure they agree. You don't want to keep changing what you're feeding them, it will cause more discomfort in the long run.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I've switched from similac, to enfamil, to gerber sooth in three weeks. Noticeable improvement with the gerber overnight. We have reflux though and lots of gas and very long uncomfortable poops
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"